Glaucoma Risk Factors

Optic disc was smaller than normal. Is a visual field test necessary?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 70 year old male. I just moved to a new area and found a new ophthalmologist, and he said my optic disc was smaller than normal, and he recommended a visual field test, to get a baseline, should it be needed for the future. I called my ophthalmologist for the previous two decad...  Read Full »

Dr. Pooja Bandivadekar

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The spectrum of the disc and the cup size is hugely variable in people. The size of the optic disc is not the only determining factor. The size of the cup, average rim size and pattern, nerve fiber pattern, and intraocular pressure, are together taken into conside...  Read Full »

My intraocular pressure is 20 to 24 mmHg. Do I have glaucoma?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 39 years old. My ocular pressure has been measured three times within the last month and values vary from 20 to 24 mmHg. The field vision test is fine. OCT shows some damage to the RNFL. Do I have glaucoma? What treatment do you suggest?  Read Full »

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. In my opinion, we can still keep you in the category of 'glaucoma suspect' rather than labeling you with the diagnosis of glaucoma. The most sensitive and specific test for glaucoma is the field test. If field test is normal, then we cannot label you as glaucoma p...  Read Full »

What is the medical term for having no pigment in the eye?

Query: Hello doctor,My eye doctor told me, after doing an eye scan, that I have no pigment in my sclera. She said she could see right through my eye in the scans. I cannot find anything online regarding this. I would like to know what this condition is called so I can research as I also have glaucoma that ...  Read Full »

Dr. Rahul Vaswani

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I think what she meant was iris, not sclera. There is brown or black pigment in our iris. Normally, some people have blue or green. But, there this a genetic condition known as albinism or pigment dispersion syndrome which leads to loss of pigments from the iris. Pa...  Read Full »

Are my eye pressure values normal?

Query: Hello doctor, I went to see my optician and my left eye had an IOP of 22 and the right had 20. These seem to be the average numbers going back six years at two-year intervals. He dilated the eyes and inspected and took photos of the optic nerves. He said everything looked healthy and said to come b...  Read Full »

Dr. Rahul Vaswani

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The pressure readings you told me are within normal limits. Since the ophthalmologist you saw did a detailed fundus examination and told you everything was fine and also your fields are fine. So, I think you do not have anything to worry about. Also if nobody ...  Read Full »