Holding Urine

Will recurrent UTI occur due to holding urine for a prolonged time?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 35 year old male. I did a urine test today, there is no UTI or any infection, but the RBC count was 0 to 1. I did a test six weeks back, which showed the RBC count to be 4 to 6. I still feel there is a block to the urine flow, and I have to go every 15 minutes or every one hou...  Read Full »

Dr. Devendra

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your history suggests that you have very frequent urination and poor flow with recurrent UTI (urinary tract infection). I would like to know the following. Do you have constipation or numbness of the sole? How frequently do you get up at night? Has any catheter been put ...  Read Full »

I urinate less in the morning as compared to later hours. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 37 year old male. I have urination problem for the last six months. There is no urine build up in the morning hours. I am voiding only a small quantity of deep yellow colored concentrated urine with no pressure in the morning. After 2 hours of taking tea and water, I urinate fre...  Read Full »

Dr. Devendra

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Most of your symptoms are normal. If bothered by frequent urination during sleep, then I suggest tablet Tolterodine 2 mg and tablet Tamsulosin 0.2 mg before going to bed for 14 days. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take treatment with consent....  Read Full »

Can you suggest a medicine to prevent urination at night during travel?

Query: Hi doctor, I am going to have a long journey. Can I take a salt tablet to prevent urination during the night? If so, please suggest any tablet.  Read Full »

Dr. Devendra

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Why do you want to hold urine? Do you travel frequently? I suggest tablet Tolterodine 4 mg at the start of the travel and tablet or nasal spray Minirin (Desmopressin). Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take medicine with consent. Still, I would like to kn...  Read Full »

My 7 year old daughter has repeated urine infections. How to clear it out?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter aged 7 years has a urine infection. We have done a urine culture as well as regular analysis and found that there is an infection. She has this problem from a long time. She has a bad habit of holding her urine for a long time until she can hold it no more.  Read Full »

Dr. Praveen Pushkar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From what age did she started having UTI (urinary tract infection)? How often does she get UTI? Does she have a fever now? How is the general condition? Once this episode resolves, she needs an ultrasound KUB (kidney, ureters, and bladder) with PVR (po...  Read Full »

What might help my increased urge to urinate?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 33-year-old male with no medical conditions. I am on Propecia 1 mg for hair loss, and I have been on it for the past three years. Six months ago, I started getting an urge to urinate more frequently. I had a feeling of my bladder getting full. The urge was not that strong...  Read Full »

Dr. Devendra

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. These urinary symptoms in young males are many times due to the sphincter dyssynergia (disturbance of the normal synergistic coordination between bladder contraction and external urethral sphincter muscles relaxation during voiding). Valium (Diazepam) also relaxes the ...  Read Full »

What is the treatment for overactive bladder?

Query: Hi doctor, I do not have a UTI. A test was done to check my kidney function and diabetes. I have the urge to urinate for the past one month. I urinate more in the morning, and it gets decreased during the day and at night time. I have muscle aches on the thighs, arms, and back. I have bloating and ...  Read Full »

Dr. Saurabh S Pandya

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). If your tests have ruled out urinary infection, you may have an overactive bladder. Take a moderate amount of fluids throughout the day. Do not take a large amount of liquid at a time. ...  Read Full »

My husband has not urinated in almost 24 hours. What should I do?

Query: Hello doctor, My husband has not urinated in almost 24 hours. He has a pain in his right shoulder and chest with a severe headache. Also, his kidneys hurt.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your query. A urine output of fewer than 400 mL per day is referred to as oligouria. And no urine output means anuria. Both the conditions need urgent ER (emergency room) care to prevent a renal shutdown. The cause could be an infection, renal failure,...  Read Full »