Corticosteroids

Related Terms: Topical Steroids, Asthma, Eczema, Clobetasol, Itching, Antihistamines, Arthritis

Topical Corticosteroids for Skin Conditions
Article Overview: Topical corticosteroids are the cornerstone therapy for many inflammatory skin conditions. So, a judicious use of topical steroids is necessary. This article guides us regarding the proper use of topical steroids in dermatological conditions and its ill effects on the skin and body.  Read Article »

What Are Corticosteroids? Corticosteroids are naturally-occurring or synthetic compounds with cyclopentanoperhydrophenanthrene ring. The major naturally occurring corticosteroid is cortisol, which is synthesized by the adrenal cortex. The synthetic corticosteroids are of different types and are used ...  Read Article »

Can corticosteroids cause osteoporosis?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 43 year old male. I had been diagnosed with autoimmune polymyositis four years ago. I was previously a sportsman for most of my life with a reasonably healthy diet. I have been on Prednisolone and Azathioprine for four years, on Methotrexate for four years and Folic acid. I ju...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Corticosteroids can cause osteoporosis in a very short interval and four years is a long time. It would be difficult to for you to withdraw from corticosteroids as you have been on them for four years. So what can be done is to add up a good quantity of calcium and v...  Read Full »

White patches developed on spots where corticosteroid was applied. Is it vitiligo?
Query: Hi doctor, My daughter has skin lesions that started last year. They are on one side of the body. Initially, she got eczema kind small red rashes for which we applied Corticosteroid and later we observed whitish patches developing on those spots. Initially, the GP thought it could be tinea versicol...  Read Full »
Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your history and clinical photographs (attachment removed to protect patient identity). From the present situation, it looks to be vitiligo. Since it is on one side of the body, it can be called as segmental vitiligo also. Tacrolimus is the right m...  Read Full »

Is it safe to use Corticosteroid cream on cheeks for eczema?
Query: Hi doctor, I have eczema. There is redness in my cheeks. I have used Corticosteroid cream for six days. Are there any side effects in using it?  Read Full »
Dr. Meha Malhotra

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Corticosteroids should never be applied without a doctor's advise. Also, there are certain steroids which should never be applied on the face. If you could send me photos and details, I will be able to give you proper suggestions. Till then, do not use anything on your...  Read Full »

Can I take Deflazacort and Hydroxyzine HCl for hives during pregnancy?
Query: Hi doctor, The dermatologist has said that I have urticaria (hives) and prescribed Deflazacort 6 mg and Hydroxyzine HCl, but I am 28 weeks pregnant. Can I take those medicines? Suspecting it is chickenpox. The itching started 10 days ago, rashes started five days ago. Appears to be small red bumps ...  Read Full »
Dr. Uzma Arqam

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Deflazacort is corticosteroids and can be used as per need but can interact with diabetic medications and will act as an anti-inflammatory and can give side effects like weight gain, mood variations, vomitings, etc. Hydroxyzine is antihistamine and can be used but bette...  Read Full »

I was exposed to herpes zoster virus in the first month of pregnancy. Do I have to terminate?
Query: Hi doctor,I am being advised to terminate a desired pregnancy because of the medication I have been prescribed to tackle a virus that I got just after becoming pregnant. I am looking for a second medical opinion on whether termination is necessary. I would like to understand the risks to the fetus o...  Read Full »
Dr. Vidya

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The increased exposure to corticosteroid can cross the placental barrier and cause adrenal suppression in the fetus. This can lead to salt wasting, electrolyte imbalances, and even poor development of the fetus. The organs can also have improper developed and ...  Read Full »

Had a sudden onset of AIHA. Please explain the relapse with AIHA.
Query: Hi doctor, I am 20 years old. I had a sudden onset of AIHA. At first, I had no response to steroid therapy, and after a week, I came back to normal. I want to know about the relapse with AIHA.  Read Full »
Dr. Girish C Kamat
Hematologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Approximately 80 % of patients respond to corticosteroids at a dose equivalent to Prednisolone 60 to 100 mg per day and nearly two-thirds achieve complete remission (CR). The initial response takes several weeks. But an absence of a response for 21 days is considered as...  Read Full »

There are inflamed nasal swellings and ear plugs. Kindly advise.
Query: Hello doctor, I apologize for the long message, but I am a concerned mom. I have two sons (ages 3 and 5) and both of them and I have been experiencing chronic sinus or ear issues for the past several months. Their pediatrician has referred us to ENT since she does not know what it is. Both boys (an...  Read Full »
Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Do not stop Zyrtec (Cetirizine) and nasal corticosteroid spray. The polluted environment around you can harm your children badly. I think that the black plug inside your son's ear is a fungal infection. You need a topical antifungal drop for five days, then the ENT spec...  Read Full »

If I stop using Clobetamil G cream, I become very dark. What shall I do?
Query: Hello doctor, I am using Clobetamil G cream since four years. But I did not get any irritations or side effects. But, if I stop using that cream I become very dark. If I consult a doctor, there is no use but if I use that cream again I will become very fair. Maybe my skin is addicted to this cream. ...  Read Full »
Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Clobetamil (Clobetasol and Gentamycin) is a strong topical corticosteroid cream, it is not a fairness cream. Clobetamil makes your skin very thin. That is why you feel you are getting fair. Thinning of skin makes it more sensitive to sunlight. Clobetamil is useful for ...  Read Full »

Is Triamcinolone a good drug to cure yeast infection?
Query: Hi doctor, Can I insert Triamcinolone inside my vagina to clear yeast infection?  Read Full »
Dr. Kamalpreet Kaur Nagpal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Triamcinolone is not indicated for yeast infection. It is a corticosteroid and rather, a yeast infection can precipitate with this drug. You should use an antifungal like Clotrimazole vaginal pessaries for 14 days. I also advise you to use a condom during sexual i...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Corticosteroids? We have medical experts to help you right away.