Diabetic Ketoacidosis

Related Terms: Diabetes Management, Diabetes, Diabetes Mellitus, Diabetes Complications, Diabetic Nephropathy, Type 1 Diabetes, Type 2 Diabetes

What complications can occur if I continued to have high blood sugar levels?
Query: Hi doctor, I am male, 73 years old, height 179 cm, and weight 120 kg. Has diabetes type 2, high blood pressure, gout, slight renal failure, had a heart attack almost 10 years ago and underwent a procedure of having two stents in his heart. Cholesterol. Takes medication for his illnesses. His blood ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Such high sugars may cause acute complications like dehydration, diabetic hyperosmolar state or diabetic ketoacidosis, which may be life-threatening. He should drink plenty of water to reduce the risk of dehydration. Also, in long-term, it can lead to heart disease, ...  Read Full »

Do ketones in urine mean kidney damage?
Query: Hello doctor,I am 5 feet and 5 inches, 112 lbs and eat a normal diet. I recently had a urine test with trace ketones, although negative for glucose. My test showed cloudy clarity and presence of crystals. All the other values on the urine test were normal. I also had normal blood tests. My doctor is...  Read Full »
Dr. Pankaj Jawandhiya
Nephrologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The body generally uses glucose as its source of energy. When it uses fat as a source of energy, ketones are formed. It is a common finding in diabetes, called as diabetic ketoacidosis. It can also occur during starvation when glucose is not available as an energy sou...  Read Full »

Will diabetes during pregnancy affect the baby?
Query: Hi doctor, My sister is 21 years old with type 1 diabetes. When she was 35 weeks pregnant, she had a cesarean section delivery. The baby's heartbeat stopped and they could not get it started. The doctors are blaming it to be due to diabetes. They said that the baby's blood acid was 25, which is five...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. We are here to help you. Diabetes is a big problem and so, the pregnancy during diabetes is labeled as high risk pregnancy. It is very uncertain to know what side effect might occur. However, the side effects can vary from person to person. It is very difficult to commen...  Read Full »

How can ketone level be decreased in a diabetic patient?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a diabetes patient. My sugar level in fasting is above 350 and I checked ketone in urine, it was found to be 4+. My height is 170 cm approximately and weight check found 62 kg. What can I do for ketone?  Read Full »
Dr. Prabhakar Laxman Jathar
Diabetologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Ketones usually develop more often in T1 diabetes. Especially when there is no adequate insulin and glucose levels are higher than 300 to 350 mg. It is necessary to take adequate water to eliminate those through urine. Avoid exercise when ketones are present. Try and...  Read Full »

Does rapidly declining memory mean Alzheimer's disease or vascular dementia?
Query: Hello doctor, My father is experiencing rapidly declining memory and cognitive function. He was taken to the hospital a year back due to confusion and memory loss and was treated for diabetic ketoacidosis and had a quadruple bypass performed. They also did various scans and MRIs and found nothing t...  Read Full »
Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your father's symptoms are indicative of dementia. I would like to review his brain MRI report, to give a more professional opinion if it is Alzheimer disease or vascular dementia. As he is diabetic, vascular dementia cannot be excluded. Anyway, you should know that va...  Read Full »

Could you let me know the seriousness of my dad's diabetes?
Query: Hi doctor, I have attached the blood reports. And, with that it was diagnosed as diabetes. Please share your opinion.  Read Full »
Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the reports posted (attachment removed to protect patient identity), which show a poor glycemic control. Are you, the patient? Or are these readings of a naive or a new patient? Is the patient already on medication? If yes, then on what medication?...  Read Full »

Diabetes - How Aware Are You?
Article Overview: This simple quiz is to test your knowledge about diabetes. This quiz is an easy way for one to learn diabetes management.  Read Article »
Dr. Saumya Mittal
Diabetologist

Score: In this questionnaire, how many answers you got right? 1-3 : You need to know more about diabetes. 4-6 : You need to know more about various aspects of the disease, some parts of which you already know. >6  : You just need to stay updated. Talk to your diabetologist regularly to ...  Read Article »

Do you have a question on Diabetic Ketoacidosis? We have medical experts to help you right away.