Pulmonary Edema

Related Terms: Pulmonary Hypertension, Asthma, Allergy, Difficulty In Breathing, Pulmonary Embolism, Shortness Of Breath, Bipolar Disorder

Was my father's death due to pulmonary edema or medical negligence?
Query: Dear doctor, My father died during angioplasty. The treating doctor said that the death is due to pulmonary edema. But we suspect it may be because of a medical negligence. I need a second opinion.  Read Full »
Dr. Saumya Mittal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. What happens in a heart attack is that the patient's heart is not functioning properly. It does not maintain the speed and pressure required. And therefore, the blood and the fluid collects in the body including the lungs. When the fluid collects in the lungs, a person ...  Read Full »

How to recover from altitude sickness?
Query: Hello doctor,I have got really bad mountain (altitude) sickness before five days. They put me on oxygen and gave me a pill at the airport. I traveled back to sea level and seemed to be recovering. I traveled in a car the last couple of days, and I am now with very little medical support. I have weir...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The picture does appear to that of HAPE (high altitude pulmonary edema). The presence of a headache, difficulty in breathing, chest heaviness, irritability and stomach pains are initial symptoms of altitude sickness. You have rightly been given oxygen and brought down ...  Read Full »

Shortness of breath and chest pain after breathing in steam
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 26 year old male weighing in 185 and 5'9". I do not take any medications. I am worried if I am at risk of any complications after having breathed in some steam/air at about 350 F. I was covering a pot roast I had just taken out of the oven when I accidentally took a breath of it...  Read Full »
Dr. Ritesh Kumar Singh

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on the history, at times, though not very common, steam/air inhalation can cause inflammation of the airway leading to respiratory symptoms and even pulmonary edema. So, keep an eye on the following symptoms : If you develop hoarseness of voice, wheezing, strido...  Read Full »

I have unrelenting back pain between my shoulder blades. What could be the reason?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 30 year old female. For the past few weeks, I have had an unrelenting back pain between my shoulder blades. I also have a sharp, tearing chest pain above my left breast area or along my sternum on my right side. The sharp pain will last a few minutes, then stop. At times, it rad...  Read Full »
Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. After reviewing your health query, I want to add that there may be anything from a list of possibilities. Keeping in mind the past history of PE (pulmonary edema), it can be a relapse of the same. Pain and other symptoms are also mimicking if originating from th...  Read Full »

Why has my breathing become severely constricted?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 63-year old male. About five days ago, I went to a large supermarket and bought a blender. When I turned on the blender for the first time, I could smell an acrid odor being emitted from the blender. My chest immediately tightened and my breathing became severely constricted. F...  Read Full »
Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would recommend that you visit the hospital for a chest X-ray as probably you are suffering from bronchiolitis and hypersensitivity pneumonitis which are inflammatory conditions of the airways and lung tissues. This could also lead to pulmonary edema which is seri...  Read Full »

What is the treatment for mitral stenosis?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a male and I am 30-years-old male. I have a mitral valve problem, and it is moderate mitral stenosis. What remedy do you advise? If I did the valvoplasty surgery will there be any other problem? If there is a problem, is there a possibility to do the valvoplasty again? I am afraid...  Read Full »
Dr. Ilir Sharka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are specific criteria for surgery in case of mitral valve stenosis. Surgery does not resolve the problem and you may have to stay on anticoagulation therapy for your entire life. It can help improve your physical performance and avoid pulmonary edema (shortness...  Read Full »

Kindly explain the chest X-ray of a UTI patient.
Query: Hello doctor, My mother was admitted to hospital nine months back with a catheter-related UTI. She was also hypothermic. Tests revealed that the UTI had become urinary sepsis. She was given IV antibiotics for this. Her legs were swollen with edema, as was her lower abdomen, but her chest was clear....  Read Full »
Dr. Vivek Chail

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The chest X-ray done shows mildly increased bilateral lung markings and a mildly enlarged cardiac shadow (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There are no serious concerns about this X-ray. In the chest X-ray done a few days later, there is a generalised ha...  Read Full »

Is bronchoscopy and tube necessary in a pneumonia patient with COPD?
Query: Hello doctor,My father is in the hospital fighting pneumonia and has COPD. His latest X-ray has shown some improvement. The X-ray shows he has an extensive airspace and interstitial opacities in the left lung and patchy opacity in the right lower lung. The plan is to do a bronchoscopy and use a tube...  Read Full »
Dr. Harsha D S
Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the history of your father's illness you have provided (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The X-ray reports are suggestive of pneumonia. At this stage, on initial antibiotics and supportive treatment, if he has not improved, broncho...  Read Full »

Can you comment on my lung function tests?
Query: Hello doctor, I recently had issues with a somewhat forced breathing and a cold or a cough that is not clearing up from the last two to three months. The doctor sent me for a pulmonary test, the results of which I have attached. What do they mean? I have also attached my latest blood reports. Can yo...  Read Full »
Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through both the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your lung function tests detected a decreased diffusing capacity which can be due to either a vascular disease that decreases the blood supply to a portion of the lung or parenchyma...  Read Full »

My mother's oxygen level is 70 % even after treatment. What to do?
Query: Hello doctor, My mother is 63 years old. She is having severe cough from more than a year, and last year, she was admitted to the hospital. The doctors gave O2 therapy and BiPAP for four months, and she was fine for few months. Again, the severe cough along with sputum started. Recently, the doct...  Read Full »
Dr. Shitla Prasad Upadhyay
Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen all her reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Her diagnosis is COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) with cor pulmonale and PAH (pulmonary arterial hypertension). If her SpO2 is 70 % by a pulse oximeter, then she should be admitt...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Pulmonary Edema? We have medical experts to help you right away.