Pure Tone Audiometry

Related Terms: Tinnitus, Tympanometry, Audiometry, Hearing Loss, Ringing In Ears, Dizziness, Eustachian Tube Blockage

What is the treatment for tinnitus?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 31 year old female. I am having tinnitus in my right ear. My PTA hearing test says R - 17 dB and L - 10 dB. My doctor informed me that there is slight nerve damage and it is causing tinnitus and slight hearing loss. He said that there is no cure for it. Please help.  Read Full »
Dr. Baidya Nath Majhi

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your PTA (pure tone audiometry) showing minimal hearing loss in right ear and normal hearing in the left. I do not think this minimal hearing loss cause the tinnitus unless the hearing loss is progressive. Tinnitus is not a disease. It is a symptom due to many unde...  Read Full »

I am hearing a strange noise only at night. Please help.
Query: Hi doctor, Around three months back, I started to hear a strange noise at night. We live in a village. Apart from the odd barking dog and passing car, it is silent, especially at night. However, I started to hear what sounded like a distant engine, but it never got any closer. It is almost like a dr...  Read Full »
Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would advise you get pure tone audiometry and tympanometry. We will know if you have any hearing loss and pressure changes in your ear. Also, in a few thyroid patients, tinnitus is common. But, you should get the above tests done for a correct diagnosis. If they are fin...  Read Full »

Why has my hearing affected after suddenly waking up in the morning with dizziness and nausea?
Query: Hi doctor, Five days ago (for the first time in my life) I went to the emergency room of the local hospital. I had awakened at 3 AM with severe dizziness and nausea. We determined that it was probably caused from an accidental overdose of Tamsulosin. I have gradually improved but to only about 80 %...  Read Full »
Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

Answer: Hi, Welcome to iclinq.com. You need to perform tympanometry and pure tone audiometry to assess the condition of your middle ears, inner ears, and cochlear nerves. The attack which you have experienced can be an acute vestibular attack but the accurate diagnosis needs initially the previous audiolo...  Read Full »

Why do I have clicking and high-pitched whine after I was subjected to loud noise?
Query: Hello doctor, I was subjected to a loud noise in my left ear. Since then, I have had a high pitch whine and my ear clicks. It seems as if I can contract a muscle in my ear and force it to click and then sometimes it seems to happen on its own. It happens more often than not, with brief episodes whe...  Read Full »
Dr. S Nishanth

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your problem could be diagnosed following a simple audiological evaluation with tests called pure tone audiometry and impedance audiometry to determine any hearing loss and eustachian tube dysfunction that you might be having. Treatment will depend on the result of ...  Read Full »

What can I do to unblock my ear and resolve tinnitus?
Query: Hello doctor, I had an upper respiratory tract infection which is now resolved. It was in the acute phase. I had a very painful earache. I am fine now except for a blocked right ear with tinnitus (ringing) and muffled hearing. I can feel a crackling sensation in my outer ear. What can I do to unblo...  Read Full »
Dr. Fazil Shajahan

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. According to your symptoms, it looks like you had an acute otitis media. It is common to have a blocked ear after the infection is resolved. You need to do a pure tone audiometry with impedance audiometry to know about your middle ear status and to know about tinni...  Read Full »

I hear a very faint sound when I close my right ear. What is that sound?
Query: Hello doctor, When I close my right ear, I hear a very faint sound. And when I open it, the sound goes away. What is that sound?  Read Full »
Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal
Audiologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. This is a normal phenomenon called shielding effect of the pinna. Surrounding noises do not interfere when the ear is shut, so sounds appear different. This effect may be exaggerated in hearing loss also. So, get a pure tone audiometry done, to rule out any hearing...  Read Full »

Please suggest a permanent cure for Meniere's disease.
Query: Hello doctor,My mother has Meniere's disease. What could possibly stop attacks of headaches and head spinning? She is currently taking Vertin tablet whenever she gets an attack.  Read Full »
Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal
Audiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I suggest taking Vertin (Betahistine) 16 mg, twice daily regularly for two weeks. I want the following details: Does she have any hypertension or hearing loss? Has she decreased the salt intake? Any ringing in the ears? Get a pure tone audiometry done and send me the repo...  Read Full »

What causes constant pressure around ear and nerve twitches?
Query: Hello doctor, I have ear pain going all the way down to my foot. I also have vertigo and tinnitus. It has been two years. I feel constant pressure around ear and nerve twitches in whole body. Please help.  Read Full »
Dr. Prasun Mishra

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your problem. As you say you have radiating ear pain along with pressure around the ear and vertigo and tinnitus. There can be many reasons to this. Have you got any checkup done? If not I feel right away you will need the following investigations: ...  Read Full »

Why do I hear low sound from my ears? Is it normal to hear it?
Query: Hi doctor, Sometimes when I concentrate in a silent room, I can hear a low sound from my ears. I went for a checkup, and there was nothing wrong in my ear. The doctor told me that the sound occurred because of hair cells and said to me that it is normal. What is hair cells? Is it normal to notice i...  Read Full »
Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Hair cells are hearing cells inside the inner ears provided with cilia, and when vibrated, it stimulates auditory impulses. Yes, these cells have a unique sound, and it will not be audible to us. It needs a high technology device to pick it. Tinnitus has a lot of causes...  Read Full »

Why is my ear rumbling following a throat infection?
Query: Hi doctor, I am 35 years old. About 4 weeks ago, I had a viral infection of the throat and nose, which lasted for about a week. At that time, my left ear became completely blocked with fluid for at least a few days. Then, I started getting a low rumbling noise in my ear. At first, I used to get the ...  Read Full »
Dr. Nasheed Baig

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. This problem is called as tinnitus. As you have mentioned, you started with this problem after an upper respiratory tract infection that resulted in effusion in your ear through blockage of eustachian tube. It is quite possible that your eustachian tube is still n...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Pure Tone Audiometry? We have medical experts to help you right away.