Tonsillolith.

Related Terms: Chronic Tonsillitis, Tonsillitis, Saline Gargling, Tonsils, Tonsillectomy, Sinusitis, Acetaminophen

How can the formation of tonsil stones be prevented?
Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from tonsil stones and I am very much irritated by them. Can you please tell me how to cure them and how to prevent them? I have not taken any medicines until now.  Read Full »
Dr. Manu Wilfred

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Tonsilloliths or tonsil stones are formed due to deposition of lime salts in tonsils after blockage of crypts in tonsils. Treatment involves removal of stones by an ENT (ear, nose, and throat) specialist. Recurrent stones are treated by tonsillectomy. In the meanw...  Read Full »

Does a small tonsil stone require surgery or will it go away on its own?
Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with a tonsil stone. I have typical symptoms due to tonsil stone along with slight ear pain since the last four to five days. I got checked yesterday and was given an antibiotic and betadine to gargle. It is small in size as said by the doctor. Will it go away or do I h...  Read Full »
Dr. A.k.srivastava

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. You have chronic tonsillitis with tonsillolith (stone in tonsil). The curative treatment for this problem is surgery (tonsillectomy). Other conservative treatments may give you a temporary relief, but the condition usually recurs after conse...  Read Full »

What is the white lesion in my mouth?
Query: Hello doctor, I have one white lesion in my mouth. I do not know whether it is painful or not because it is very deep and also, how long it has been there. Kindly guide me and also tell me if there is any need to worry or it is just only aphthous ulcer. I am not sexually active since 1.5 years. I d...  Read Full »
Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal
Audiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the pictures attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You are probably having a tonsillolith. It occurs in chronic tonsillitis. It is not an ulcerative lesion at all. There is nothing to be worried about. Use Hexidine gargles. For more inf...  Read Full »

Following throat infection, why is there an altered taste?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 24 year old female. I was at my local out of hours service this morning with an extremely painful and swollen throat. I was told I had a severe case of tonsillitis. I have been given antibiotics. Since then I feel a poison taste running down my throat and had a bit of a relief of p...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.om. The feeling that something burst and having poison taste in the mouth will be most probably due to release of tonsillolith (tonsil stone) from the tonsillar fossa and associated pus and mucus that come along with the stone. I suggest you antiseptic gargles like Betadine...  Read Full »

I have a yellowish pus sac on my tonsil. What could it be?
Query: Hello doctor,I have a yellowish pus sac on my tonsils left side which I noticed a few days ago. A doctor says he thinks it is ectopic, I do not know what that is, but I can submit to you a picture of the spot on my tonsils. I have a good picture of it. I was sick about a month ago with a fever for a...  Read Full »
Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to iciniq.com. I have seen the image (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The yellowish pus sac is a tonsil stone, known as tonsillolith. It occurs due to the accumulation of tonsillar secretions and some minerals inside the tonsillar crypt and obstruction to its free f...  Read Full »

I have swollen tonsils with white spots. What is it?
Query: Hello doctor, I am 20 years old. I have symptoms of swollen tonsils with white spots and bumps on my throat. I went to the urgent care almost two weeks ago, and after running streptococcus and mononucleosis test, they told me that it was more likely viral tonsillitis. I am not experiencing much pain...  Read Full »
Dr. Baidya Nath Majhi

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. After reading your symptoms and looking at your photo (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it is suggesting of chronic pharyngitis with chronic tonsillitis. The whitish spots over your tonsils are the food particles that clogged within the tonsillar c...  Read Full »

What is the small yellow bump above my tonsil?
Query: Hi doctor, I have a small round yellow bump or circle on the back of the arch, right above my tonsil. It is there for a month. It does not show any changes. I do not have any symptoms or soreness.  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It appears like a small cyst. There can be a fluid collection inside the minor salivary gland. You need not worry about it as it goes down on its own. However, if you have any symptoms,...  Read Full »

Are my sinus issues and tonsil stones related?
Query: Hello doctor, I have had sinus problems my whole life, getting sinus infections every year or sometimes twice a year, constantly having drainage in the back of my throat) and it was only annoying until a few days ago. Four days ago, I learned I had tonsil stones when I coughed up about 10 (no photos...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand you want to know if your tonsil and sinus problems are related.  Yes. Recurrent post nasal drip due to sino-nasal infection or chronic sinusitis can cause local infection in the tonsils which make the tonsillar crypts produce thick and ...  Read Full »

How to prevent frequent episodes of tonsillitis?
Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering with tonsillitis for past three years. Nearly four months back, my tonsils got swollen. Followed by that the right tonsil remains the same and the left got subsided. In these four months, I had few episodes of pain in my ear. Also the glands in my right side of neck got swo...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. With the conversation we had, I understand that you are an 18 year old male suffering from tonsillitis and you have been having acute exacerbation of the tonsillitis now. Due to the infection, you suffer from ear pain and swollen neck glands. You seem to be suffering fr...  Read Full »

I have tonsil looking like a white build up with some veins on it. Please help.
Query: Hello doctor, I have a left tonsil that looks like a white build up with some veins on it. I recently was diagnosed with a jaw bone that was malaligned so I am wearing several appliances to get that back set in place. I recently went to an ENT and they put a scope down my nose and said my tonsils a...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The left tonsil seems mildly hypertrophied and unhealthy. But it does not have any active infection. Can you take a picture with both tonsils in view? Tonsils are normal structures and unless one is much bigger than the other we usually do not suspect anything. Do you hav...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Tonsillolith.? We have medical experts to help you right away.