Tympanometry

Related Terms: Pure Tone Audiometry, Tinnitus, Ear Blockage, Ear Infection, Eustachian Tube Blockage, Ringing In Ears, Audiometry

Why has my hearing affected after suddenly waking up in the morning with dizziness and nausea?
Query: Hi doctor, Five days ago (for the first time in my life) I went to the emergency room of the local hospital. I had awakened at 3 AM with severe dizziness and nausea. We determined that it was probably caused from an accidental overdose of Tamsulosin. I have gradually improved but to only about 80 %...  Read Full »
Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

Answer: Hi, Welcome to iclinq.com. You need to perform tympanometry and pure tone audiometry to assess the condition of your middle ears, inner ears, and cochlear nerves. The attack which you have experienced can be an acute vestibular attack but the accurate diagnosis needs initially the previous audiolo...  Read Full »

Why do I hear strange noise at night?
Query: Hi doctor, Around three months back, I started to hear a strange noise at night. We live in a village. Apart from the odd barking dog and passing car, it is silent, especially at night. However, I started to hear what sounded like a distant engine, but it never got any closer. It is almost like a dr...  Read Full »
Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would advise you get pure tone audiometry and tympanometry. We will know if you have any hearing loss and pressure changes in your ear. Also, in a few thyroid patients, tinnitus is common. But, you should get the above tests done for a correct diagnosis. If they are fin...  Read Full »

What is the effect of tympanotomy and tympanoplasty in hearing loss?
Query: Hello doctor,  My mother has more than 70% hearing loss in the left ear. The doctor has recommended tympanotomy or tympanoplasty. Is it effective? My mother is 55 years old. Would she get any benefit from this surgery? Is there any complication associated with it? Is there any non-surgical procedur...  Read Full »
Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would recommend you to undergo a test called tympanometry in which we will come to know if there is any collection of fluid in the middle ear or if there is any damage to the bone of the middle ear. Also, let me know what kind of hearing loss she has. Is it conduct...  Read Full »

I have tinnitus in ear. Is there anything I can do
Query: Hello doctor, I had an otitis media with effusion a year back. Meaning, a bit more than a year ago. My ears never cleared properly. If I move my jaw or even slightly yawn, I hear dramatic crackling sounds from my ears. They do not feel very blocked, and my hearing is fine. However, I do still have ...  Read Full »
Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It can be due to eustachian tube block. Did you ever get tympanometry done? If yes can you send me reports, tympanometry is done to check middle ear pressure (which is not maintained in eustachian tube block). Eustachian tube block can be due to allergy or due to si...  Read Full »

Do I hear little sounds in a quiet room due to my anxiety?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 34 year old female, and my hearing is good, Is it fine to hear little sound in a quiet room? Can there be a sound of our brain or blood flow?Are these idle mind's thoughts?  Read Full »
Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Do you have a cold or a cough or any ringing in ears? You should get your ears examined first. The doctor will tell you if you need to get audiometry and tympanometry. Revert with more information to an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-docto...  Read Full »

Are ear infection and constant ear pain indicative of any eardrum problem?
Query: Hello doctor, The patient had three tympanoplasty surgeries in the past, the most recent being a decade ago. She has 10 % hearing in one ear where surgery was performed. Recently, the patient developed an ear infection. Black and white fungus detected in the air. ENT used a micro-suction device to ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I need some details. Are the CT scan films those are attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity) taken after the development of the latest problem or are those taken during the tympanometry surgery in the perioperative period? Do you have the details of...  Read Full »

What would you advise for clogging of ears and tinnitus after a flu?
Query: Hello doctor,I am a 44 year old female, mother of 2, 165 cm tall and 75 kg weight. Two months ago, I fell ill with a bad flu (may have been also an acute viral infection) with high temp (39 degrees), probable inflammation in the sinuses, nose, and throat and sinuses pain. The first antibiotic (Klaci...  Read Full »
Dr. Subhadeep Karanjai

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The clogging of ears and ringing sensation (tinnitus) are probably due to accumulation of fluid in your middle ear post eustachian tube blockage, as a result of the upper respiratory tract infection you had had previously, a condition known as serous otitis media. I ...  Read Full »

What causes constant pressure around ear and nerve twitches?
Query: Hello doctor, I have ear pain going all the way down to my foot. I also have vertigo and tinnitus. It has been two years. I feel constant pressure around ear and nerve twitches in whole body. Please help.  Read Full »
Dr. Prasun Mishra

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your problem. As you say you have radiating ear pain along with pressure around the ear and vertigo and tinnitus. There can be many reasons to this. Have you got any checkup done? If not I feel right away you will need the following investigations: ...  Read Full »

How to cure tinnitus due to Aspirin in a hypertensive patient?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a BP patient. So, my doctor is giving Aspirin 75 mg from the past four months. But, due to the side effect of this, a tinnitus problem is there in the right ear. So, what can I do to cure this problem?  Read Full »
Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your hearing test seems to be normal majorly (in normal frequency). But, you have sensorineural hearing loss at a high frequency that is due to nerve weakness and hence, you are having tinnitus as well (most likely). To rule out any middle ear pathology I would advise ...  Read Full »

Why do I hear low sound from my ears? Is it normal to hear it?
Query: Hi doctor, Sometimes when I concentrate in a silent room, I can hear a low sound from my ears. I went for a checkup, and there was nothing wrong in my ear. The doctor told me that the sound occurred because of hair cells and said to me that it is normal. What is hair cells? Is it normal to notice i...  Read Full »
Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Hair cells are hearing cells inside the inner ears provided with cilia, and when vibrated, it stimulates auditory impulses. Yes, these cells have a unique sound, and it will not be audible to us. It needs a high technology device to pick it. Tinnitus has a lot of causes...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Tympanometry? We have medical experts to help you right away.