Meniscal Tear

Does my son require surgery for the snapping sound from his left knee without pain?

Query: Hi doctor, My son aged 7 has a snapping sound from the left knee lately without complaining of any pain. He had an MRI done for his left knee. The MRI opinion is as follows: There is a discoid lateral meniscus, significant swelling of the posterior horn of the lateral meniscus and intrameniscal abno...  Read Full »

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern regarding surgical management and also, because of the fact there is no pain. Surgical management is indicated in case of symptomatic discoid meniscus and a popping or snapping sound is an indication for surgery. It can be managed by arthrosco...  Read Full »

Why do I get knee swelling and pain even after a year of surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, I have suffered a recent knee injury and had ACL replacement. The injury involved a sudden and complete closure of the knee. I will feel fine but with more use the knee gets sore with swollen veins. I can provide pictures. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Lokesh

General Practitioner, Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Spine Health Specialist, Spine Surgeon, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The swelling can happen if there is a recent surgery. You are doing physiotherapy to get your range of knee motion back to its normal. As the ligament and the knee capsule stretches, it causes inflammation and swelling. However, if the surgery was done more than a ye...  Read Full »

What is the indication for arthroscopic surgery with medial meniscus tear?

Query: Hello doctor, Can you help me out to reach a result to go for an arthroscopic surgery or not? Actually, both of my knees have a medial meniscus tear, and the MRI reports show that it is a grade 3 tear posterior horn. Both injuries are 2.5 and 1.5 years old separately occurred during running. Now I c...  Read Full »

Dr. Rameshkumar

Physiotherapist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It depends on the age and the activities you do. I can understand that the problem is there for two years. If you do not run and do not participate in sports, you can strengthen the knee and do some mobilization exercises, and prolong without surgery. But according...  Read Full »

What does my knee MRI actually indicate?

Query: Hi doctor, Recently, I slipped from the bike and hurt my right knee. Though it is causing less pain during normal walk, it is hurting a lot while walking on stairs. I visited an orthopedic surgeon and he told me to take an MRI. The MRI report is as follows. Impression: Grade 3 tear involving the po...  Read Full »

Dr. Atul Prakash

Fitness Expert, Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Physiotherapist, Spine Health Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It would have been ideal if you had posted your MRI films for me to see as without them I can only comment and answer your questions with limited knowledge of your condition. Cysts are not an immediate result of trauma. They develop over time and may have preceded trau...  Read Full »

Why am I not able to do straight leg exercise post meniscal tear?

Query: Hello doctor, Almost a year ago, I tore my meniscus. I was told no surgery needed and did PT for severe muscle atrophy for 12 weeks. Everything was going well. Then quarantine happened and leg started getting weaker due to lack of normal physical activity. Now my knee hurts, feels weak sometimes wh...  Read Full »

Dr. Manav Gupta

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Well, there is a loss of bulk and muscle atrophy due to reflex inhibition in patients with injuries of the knee. Exercises and rehab usually prevent it. You need to elaborate on certain details. Do you take a high protein diet? Did your back hurt as well? What is...  Read Full »

What is the treatment for a tear in the knee joint?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a small tear in the knee joint, but the doctor advised me for arthroscopy. How to manage this problem? Please suggest.  Read Full »

Dr. Lokesh

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If you are telling me about a meniscal tear in the knee joint, then a grade 1 and grade 2 tears of the meniscus can be managed with physiotherapy alone. Grade 3 tear will require an arthroscopic trimming of the meniscus or else your pain and swelling will keep coming back...  Read Full »

I have knee pain after meniscus surgery. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I had meniscus surgery before two and a half weeks. Still there is a kind of swelling around my knee. I feel little pain outside the knee and also there is still a cracky noise when I bend. Why?  Read Full »

Dr. Lokesh

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Meniscal injury leads to swelling and pain in the knee joint, so apply ice packs. Use hinged knee brace throughout the day remove it only at night. Apply a crepe bandage of 6 inches below the hinged knee brace from the toe to the mid thigh. Take any over-the-counter avai...  Read Full »

Is Surgery The Only Option For Knee Buckling?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 36 year old male. I have been having knee buckling problem for some time. The problem started in the right knee about four years back and since then I have stopped sports. However, at times during some movement or jerk, I get this buckling problem and pain for two to three day...  Read Full »

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your history and the reports attached here (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There is a cruciate ligament injury along with meniscal injury and you also have symptoms related to it. So, surgery is indicated in your case. It will not set...  Read Full »

Why is there knee pain in a football player?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 21 years old, medically fit. I play football a lot. Recently, I started to have pain in my left knee, there is a pain when I sit on the ground (on bending) and I feel it is crusty when I try to open it. Also there is pain on resistance to movement.  Read Full »

Dr. Pooja Pardhi

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have thoroughly gone through your case and can well understand your genuine health concerns. Knee joint consists of two bones that are femur and tibia. In between these bones, a few structures are present which provide stability to the joint and make the joint strong....  Read Full »

Why do I have acute pain in my right knee?

Query: Hello doctor, I have acute pain on the right side of my right knee. I am not able to walk as usual. The local doctor diagnosed it as a ligament tear. He suggested to take rest and wear a knee pad. One month is over, and there is no improvement seen yet. There is also little swelling and pain. I am n...  Read Full »

Dr. Palanikumar Chellamuthu

Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Spine Health Specialist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have not mentioned your age, profession, and how you developed the pain (like after a slip or after a fall or just by itself). When you have a limp that has not settled over one month and you do not have balance when you walk then it is not normal. You have to be p...  Read Full »