Meth Interactions

Will meth interfere with anesthesia that is given before surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a surgery for rolando fracture tomorrow morning. I am a bit worried about this. I was given meth during a dance festival, day before yesterday evening. I went and got a drug test just to make sure and have been up since then and am hoping I can fall asleep at least a few hours...  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Radiodiagnosis Physician, Radiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read through your query in detail. Please find my observations below. Meth intake might cause interactions with anaesthetic medicines which require to be given during surgery. It is never safe and might cause adverse effects during and after anesthesia. Usually pa...  Read Full »

Can drug abuse cause memory blackouts?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a 23 year old son. He admits to current marijuana use once or twice a week. He admits to a variety of drugs including cocaine, meth, heroin, LSD in the past year. His ex-mother in law says he currently uses cocaine and meth. He denies current drug use beyond pot. He says he has ...  Read Full »

Dr. Devavrat Harihar Nene

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. What we are dealing with here is a transient global amnesia (TGA). During these episodes, there is a temporary memory loss of recent events with preserved social and cognitive skills. The person typically does not remember the events of the l...  Read Full »

Should I inform the doctor if I have meth in my system when going for a surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a male, 6 feet and 150 lbs. I am not on any medication. I have a surgery in five hours and I have meth in my system taken about five hours earlier. Should I cancel the surgery or go to the surgery and tell the doctor?   Read Full »

Dr. Manu Kumar

Anesthesiologist, Criticalcare Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The first thing to do is to share this information with your doctor. He will be a better person to decide whether to postpone the surgery or not. If it is not an emergency or an urgent surgery, I would advise my patients to postpone it till the meth is out of the syste...  Read Full »