Mrsa

How can I prevent recurrence of MRSA infection?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 49-year-old woman and last month I was hospitalized with a necrotizing soft tissue infection on my thigh. I had two debridement surgeries and was discharged after 5 days. I was treated with about 4 IV antibiotics. I do not remember them all, I recall seeing Vancomycin and Penicill...  Read Full »

Dr. Mahwish D Abbasi

General Practitioner, Family Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com, I am sorry for what you have had to go through. As you previously did not have MRSA strains, it is possible that now you have hospital-acquired strains in your blood. It is a superbug and superdifficult to treat as it is resistant to drugs of choice so you have get cult...  Read Full »

I have MRSA and severe spinal stenosis. Are they related?

Query: Hello doctor, I have MRSA and severe spinal stenosis. I was in hospital 8 months ago. Since leaving the hospital I have had rashes, burning, itchy and twitching in my face and neck areas. About 5 months after hospital visit I had severe burning feeling in muscles and major muscle atrophy and increa...  Read Full »

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. MRSA occurs asymptomatically as a carrier in many people. MRSA is not related to your spinal stenosis problem. Kindly tell the exact MRI report as if there are no hyper intensities in spinal cord we will not suspect autoimmune etiology also. Spinal stenosis is commo...  Read Full »

I have a bump after injury. Is it MRSA?

Query: Hello doctor, I thought I got bit by something three days ago. I went to the hospital yesterday morning at 5 and was told it was MRSA. I had MRSA a couple of times in the past 8 years. This is the worse case I ever had. The hospital gave me two antibiotics Cephalexin 500 mg 4 times a day and Bacti...  Read Full »

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal

Dermatologist, Venereologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Cosmetologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your query and seen the attached pictures and can well understand your concern (attachment removed to protect patient identity).  Read Full »

Why does my wife have a swelling around her left clavicular area?

Query: Hello doctor, My 37 year old wife was infected by some virus a month ago. She ran a fever of around 100 to 102 F for four days. She was treated for the flu, so the fever went away on the fifth day, but she had a very noticeable swelling around the left clavicular area. Her blood work showed normal W...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From your description, it appears like a pyomyositis, a bacterial infection of muscle, probably of the pectoral muscle. It is usually seen in immunosuppressed patients. You mentioned she is receiving Prednisone, it could be due to this. What is the reason for ...  Read Full »

What Is The Best Course of Action For Infected Wisdom Tooth?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a lower wisdom tooth that has been infected chronically for well over a year. I also have an upper molar that is broken decayed and has been like this for years. The wisdom tooth oozes green pus if you apply pressure with a cotton swab. The decayed tooth is mildly painful. I saw my...  Read Full »

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your complaint and the relevant details. Please do not panic relating this to death. The good thing is you do not have chills or swelling. Huge swellings that cover the entire face, jaw or neck are only dangerous. These are called space infection that keeps s...  Read Full »

Does my throt swab show MRSA infection?

Query: Hello doctor, Is my throat swab wrong? Do I have MRSA? There is lymph node swelling and cobblestone appearance from 5 to 6 months. Tried different antibiotics but were not helpful.  Read Full »

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is not MRSA at all. It is a staphylococcal infection (attachment removed to protect ptient identity).  Read Full »

Side Effects of Doxycycline, Which I Took for UTI

Query: Hello doctor, I have been sick with side effects from Doxycycline for two weeks. I had a UTI which has cleared. I have been to the doctor twice, they checked my urine, and there is no infection. I feel tired, have chills, I feel cold, have a back and joint pain. I do not have a fever. I have read t...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand that you had a urine test, but there are different types of urine test like a dipstick, which is done at the office, a complete analysis, which is done in the laboratory and a urine culture. I am more interested in the last two. With all due respect to you...  Read Full »

What is the most effective treatment for MRSA?

Query: Hi doctor, I have struggled with staph for nine years. I have tested positive for MRSA on at least three occasions in the last 10 years and at least two other different strains of staph. I have taken Doxycycline several times, Bacetrine, and several other oral antibiotics in the past. I have also b...  Read Full »

Dr. Davie Wong

Venereologist, Internal Medicine Physician, General Medicine Physician, HIV AIDS Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thank you for your inquiry. Here are some strategies to minimize the risk of these recurrent MRSA skin infections. 1. Hygiene: The bacteria that cause skin infections are transmitted by skin contact. Wash your hands diligently and frequently to minimize the spread of ...  Read Full »

I am scared of getting an infection from the hospital. Am I overthinking?

Query: Hello doctor, I had an ENT examination and the specialist did not use gloves but, did not touch the part going into the nose the first time. The tubing, the second time it went up my nose, was touched at the bottom by her at the light. I am very OCD usually and watched this happen but, somehow trus...  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your query and understood your concern. You seem to be overly concerned about hygiene. That could indicate an OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder). I will try to explain each of the infections that you have mentioned. MRSA (methicillin-resistant Staphylo...  Read Full »

I am getting a cold sore in the same spot on my cheek. What treatment do you suggest?

Query: Hi doctor, I was told that this thing on my cheek is a cold sore (photo attached). It comes in the same spot on my cheek every time. It has been coming and going for several years. Now, it showed up last week and progressed to this level. What is your opinion on this? I know you probably cannot tell...  Read Full »

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. From your history and clinical images (attachment removed to protect patient identity), the diagnosis would be more in favor of a furuncle (Staph infection) or acne with secondary infection. It does not appear to be eczema or contact dermatitis. It seems infective rather...  Read Full »