Plasters Splints In Fractures

How long should I wear finger splint for a sprained finger and how long will it take to bend the finger after removing the splint?

Query: Hello doctor, My finger is sprained, and I am given a finger splint. Should I wear a finger splint day and night until my sprain improves? How long will it take me to bend my finger if I have a finger splint? Kindly answer. Thank you.  Read Full »

Dr. Atul Prakash

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As long as it is just a sprain, you can remove the splint to wash your finger and even take the finger out of the splint at night but keeping it on is preferable. Also, if there is no fracture, then it will be better to move out of the splint as pain allows. Apply ice...  Read Full »

I have been experiencing pain around the bone of the little finger. Kindly help.

Query: Hello doctor, I have been experiencing pain around the bone of the little finger. It is just below the end of the finger, near the joint of the bone joining the palm. I did an X-ray and no crack was shown. I play cricket. So, I experienced this after taking a catch two months ago. It pains every ti...  Read Full »

Dr. Lokesh

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is mostly a ligament and capsular sprain of the fifth metacarpophalangeal joint. Just taking rest will not suffice. You need to strap it. Do an extended buddy strapping. It is a buddy strapping that extends to the palm area. Alternatively, you can use a Capener spl...  Read Full »

Why is my fractured finger swollen and bent?

Query: Hello doctor, I broke the top joint of my right pinky finger, two and a half months ago, late the night, before I was leaving for a two-month trip abroad. I tried to splint it, but it did not work, and it bent down by about 45 degrees, and now the joint is swollen. After getting an X-ray, now that ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Two and a half months is a very long time for a phalanx fracture to heal. There is no role of splint after two months. So, I would not recommend wearing the splint for six weeks on a trial basis. To decide whether there will be any movement at the joint or not, I need...  Read Full »

I broke the tip of the fibula during an ankle sprain. Will it get healed?

Query: Hello doctor, I broke the tip of the fibula during an ankle sprain. The broken part is bean shaped. Will it heal properly? Will it cause any problem to me? I am on bed rest since ten days with a plaster on my ankle joint.  Read Full »

Dr. Atul Prakash

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the x-ray (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Yes, this is an avulsion fracture. This actually looks like an old fracture, as the margins are well rounded. But no doubt that you have a small fracture in the fibula, and that bean shaped bone an...  Read Full »

Kindly suggest a solution for pain and swelling in my left knee and ankle.

Query: Hello doctor, I am 51 years old. I am suffering from ankle joint pain and swollen left knee for two months. I can walk but get pain in both ankle joints while walking, and I kind of limp while walking every step. It is tough to walk. When trying to get up from the chair, I struggle a bit, no pain, ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sugreev Singh

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thank you for attaching pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and a good description. I am concerned about you. All the reports are normal, except for a few. Your ankle shows an injury in one of its bones. Or may the picture is not so clear, so I am...  Read Full »

Is there any over-the-counter medication for talus fracture?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 24 years old. Last month, I had a motorcycle accident. I did an x-ray and it is written in the result as: There are bone discontinuity seen in the medial tubercle of the talus of the calcaneus. Such can represent an incomplete linear fracture. No osseous reaction or radiopaque f...  Read Full »

Dr. Santosh Kumar Bashyal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Looking into your x-ray pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and reading your problem, I got to know about linear undisplaced fracture of the talus. We need to understand the function of the talus bone and its role in the movement of ankle and ...  Read Full »

How much time will it take to recover from heel bone fracture?

Query: Hello doctor, I have fractured both my heel bones during a jump from a six feet gate during vacations. Now I am back to my workplace. As per the doctor, there is no need for the surgery and the conservative treatment will work. Both the heels are in the cast now for past one month and there is only...  Read Full »

Dr. Atul Prakash

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Looking at the X-ray (attachment removed to protect patient identity) lateral view of both heels taken nearly six weeks from the injury there is still a gap visible at the fracture site and this will mean that the fracture is not fully united. More importantly, there...  Read Full »