Re-root Canal Treatment

How to restore my tooth?

Query: Hi doctor, I have neglected my dental health for a long time. I am a 62 year old married male. I have had several teeth extracted. I lived with a couple teeth whose caps have broken off on my left side and a few molars on the right for chewing. I am suffering from hypertension and is controlled wit...  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentist, Endodontist, Pedodontist, Periodontist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. By reading about your symptoms, it seems that your root canal treated tooth is the one causing the problem. The rate of success of such root canal treatment is lesser in old age and also if you are diabetic. The only meaningful solution seems to remove the teeth and place...  Read Full »

How is pain from underneath a dental crown treated?

Query: For just over 2 weeks I have been experiencing an aching pain underneath one of my crowns. This crown has already received root canal treatment around 4/5 years ago due to A dead nerve which was a result of chipped teeth. As this throbbing pain persisted and began to get worse, especially at night b...  Read Full »

Dr. Akmal Abdelmalek

Dentist, Orthodontist

Answer: Hello, I'm sorry for your pain. It seems that the infection in your crowned tooth has come back again. You can confirm this by palpating the gum above your tooth where the root is usually located inside the bone and tap with your finger on the tip of the tooth. If you feel pain then it's a recurrin...  Read Full »

RCT was finished shorter than the apical length due to pain. Is apicoectomy advisable?

Query: Hello doctor, I got my front (upper 12 probably) tooth RCT done six months ago. The RCT was short because I experienced acute pain beyond that point. RCT is about 1.8 mm short. He then suggested getting apicoectomy because RCT was incomplete. From a second opinion, the other doctor recommended a re...  Read Full »

Dr. Himayoon Majeed Mir

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have been through your query, and I can understand your concern. Endodontic treatment for any tooth when it is not completely done like in your case it is short. It might be that you cannot feel pain or have any other discomfort. But it is highly susceptible to th...  Read Full »

Pain is not subsiding after root canal treatment. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, Three weeks ago, I had my root canal treatment done. Pain is not subsiding. Please advise. I have enclosed latest x-ray for your reference.  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your root canal treatment has become failure and is evident in the radiograph (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Kindly repeat root canal therapy or you will eventually need to extract it as the material has gone very deep. The material is extending b...  Read Full »

I have a pus pimple at the area of flap surgery. Please guide me.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 35 year old male. I had a root canal treatment done on the lower left side second molar about four to five years back by an endodontist. Two years after the treatment, the ceramic crown came off and was replaced by a metallic crown. Recently, I had a pus pimple under that t...  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The infection is due to the improperly done root canal of the mesial root of that tooth. Flap surgery was done needlessly. The treatments possible are: Frequently, what the dentist would do after such a problem is to extract that tooth. Go to an Endodontist and reques...  Read Full »

I have pain in an RCT treated tooth. Can this be treated with just medicines?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 36 year old male. I had a root canal treatment five years back. Since the last two days, I have severe pain in the same tooth. Irrespective of a cold or hot sensation, the pain was constant. My dentist has prescribed Oflox OZ and Meftal forte for five days and advised re-RCT. Pl...  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the X-ray (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There is an infection in one of the roots of the tooth, which needs a retreatment. You can see it as a black circle surrounding the apex of the posterior root. There is no option but to undergo re...  Read Full »