Redness Around Nipple

Redness and tenderness in nipple with a bump under skin. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a small area of redness and tenderness above and around the top of my left nipple. It is painful to touch and has a small bump under the skin (not a superficial, but a few layers under). The lump is quite hard. We were recently swimming in freshwater rivers and ocean, and hiking i...  Read Full »

Dr. Magesh T

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It looks like erysipelas, that is called the superficial skin infection. It would be helpful if you have had any recent laboratory investigations, complete blood count analysis ESR CRP that would be very helpful. I will advise you to apply Mupirocin ointment twice daily...  Read Full »

I have Li-Fraumeni Syndrome. Should I be concerned about this nipple pain?

Query: Hello doctor, I have Li Fraumeni Syndrome which greatly increases my chances of cancer. I have regular various annual screenings. I had a breast MRI three months back and the report (which I do not have) stated that the contrast seemed to 'pool' in one place. The doctor said he was not overly conce...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Paget's disease mostly involves nipple and later spread to areola, but it can also involve areola only. It is possible that areola is involved and the nipple is swollen. Many cases of Paget's disease do have lump below the nipple or some cancerous lesion. Is this les...  Read Full »

I have a sharp stabbing pain inside my breast.My mom has breast cancer.Do I have cancer?

Query: Hello doctor, I am an 18 year old female. A few days ago I noticed that my left breast was very tender. Yesterday morning I started feeling sharp stabbing pain inside my breast near the nipple every hour or so. Yesterday night I started to feel the pain 10 times worse and more frequently. I also not...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Invasive ductal carcinoma at 18 years of age is unlikely even though you have a history in family recently. The pain in the left nipple area which had a sudden onset in last few days and have been decreasing with a localised redness around nipple goes more in favour...  Read Full »