Throat Clearing

Why is my throat irritated continuously?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been suffering with some irritation in my throat for the past one and a half year. I am just fed up nowadays. Also, the fear of cancer destroying me. After taking different types of antibiotics from different doctors, lastly, I took Loratadine and Dexit (Flupentixol + Melitracen) f...  Read Full »

Dr. Deepak Verma

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen your pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity) as well as read your complete history. Do not worry. I will definitely help you. On looking your throat, it seems that you are having chronic allergic throat problem. Both side tonsils are also en...  Read Full »

Is excess accumulation of mucus in throat a sign of esophageal cancer?

Query: Hello doctor, For two weeks now, I have been clearing my upper throat of what seems like excess mucus. It happens every few minutes when talking but not when keeping quiet or sleeping. It almost feels like my upper esophagus fills with fluid when talking and then I have to clear it. There is someti...  Read Full »

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Well, I do not think that you should be worried due to this. As you rightly pointed out this is not similar to common reflux that would otherwise occur in GERD. It is actually acid, however, they might be normal esophageal secretions that occur in response to GERD (g...  Read Full »

Why do I have chronic throat itching?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a female of 32 years old. I have a chronic issue of throat irritation. A year ago, I had taken treatment from the ENT specialist. He told me that everything is fine, but some kind of air obstructs the throat. Unfortunately, I lost the prescription. I have been to doctors here, ...  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. We are happy to help you. From the details you have provided regarding your symptoms and the previous consultations, I can conclude with reasonable surety that you are suffering from a condition called reflux laryngitis. This is a chronic condition characterized ...  Read Full »

Can blood in sputum be caused by excess clearing of throat?

Query: Hi doctor, I had pneumonia two years ago and I have recovered from it after taking antibiotics for 10 days. Two months back, I had bronchitis and a milder form of pneumonia. After a week of antibiotics I felt much better. Now, my main concern is that I have excessive phlegm with some traces of bl...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Bronchitis itself can cause blood in sputum (hemoptysis). This happens due to rupture of minute blood vessels due to excessive coughing. In such case, it is very important to rule out any pneumonia, tuberculosis and lung malignancy. The supplements you have mentioned will...  Read Full »

I have been having episodes of dry cough since 45 days. What might help?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 29 year old male. Since the last 45 days, I have been suffering from episodes of dry cough. 10 days back, I had a 102-degree fever for three days for which the doctor prescribed Paracetamol and a five-day course of antibiotics. The fever improved, but not the cough. I went ...  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your query. You possibly have had a viral infection of the respiratory tract and cough can persist for three weeks after the fever subsides. The white patches usually occur in smokers and are due to persistent inflammation of the throat due to smoking. ...  Read Full »

Can unprotected sex for a minute cause HIV?

Query: Hello doctor, I had unprotected sex with an unknown woman hardly for a minute about a month back. After about four days, I got cold and a kind of sore throat, but not exactly sore throat. I got tested for HIV after 15 days and it came back negative. Now, for the past one week, I have a feeling of so...  Read Full »

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

Community Medicine Physician, Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Preventive Medicine Physician, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The chance of transmission of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) by single unprotected intercourse with a HIV positive person is 1/200 to 1/1000. It is very low. She may be negative, so she might have asked it. Probably, the test done was antibodies tests. It is considere...  Read Full »

Why do I have excess mucus in throat?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 49 year old male. I have a constant problem of excess mucus in throat. I feel as my food pipe is inflamed. I cannot eat anything. Whenever I eat something this mucus problem gets aggravated. What disease is this? And how to get it treated? Thank you.  Read Full »

Dr. Prasun Mishra

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am trying to understand your problem with the limited symptoms you have provided. Excess mucus in throat can be due to constant irritation in oral pharynx or mucus of nose coming in throat called as post-nasal drip. Now a days laryngopharyngeal reflux disease (LPR...  Read Full »

I often have to clear my throat. Please suggest a cure.

Query: Hello doctor,As part of the season change, I have developed a little rash in my throat. I have to often clear my throat congestion. Nothing else. Please prescribe a medicine for the cure and also some preventive medicine for the next one week so that I will not catch a cold or fever as I have an eve...  Read Full »

Dr. Geetha Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You can try the following. You need to do salt water gargling. Rinse your mouth twice daily with an antiseptic mouthwash like Listerine, particularly before going to bed. Take lukewarm water. You may have soups too. With regard to prevention of infection, eat good food...  Read Full »

I feel like something is stuck inside my throat. Please advice.

Query: Hello doctor, For few days now, I have a feeling of a lump in my throat, on the right side. It feels like a piece of food or a pill is stuck there, but I know there is nothing. When I press on the outside of my throat, there is a spongy and almost crackling quality to it that does not occur on the ...  Read Full »

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Otolaryngologist, Audiologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. That crackling sound is from the laryngeal cartilage. Do not press it. Any foreign body stuck in the throat has to be removed endoscopically. You should visit an ENT (ear, nose and throat) specialist as early as possible. If you are sure there is nothing stuck in you...  Read Full »