Tongue Numbness

I have no feeling in my tongue after having wisdom teeth pulled. What should I do?

Query: Hello doctor,I am 22 years old and had four wisdom teeth pulled. The procedure happened on 7th and my tongue is still numb. I have no feeling in my tongue now. Did the dentist maybe nick a nerve or something? Will I ever get the feeling back in my tongue? I am always biting my tongue at night and wh...  Read Full »

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If you had all the wisdom teeth pulled out in one shot, then you should have been given a lot of numbing injections on all the four sides of the mouth. In that case, the injections given for the lower jaw numbness would be the major reason for your tongue numbness. Do n...  Read Full »

How long does numbness last after tooth extraction?

Query: Hi doctor, Three months back, I had a wisdom tooth extraction. Still, I feel tongue numbness. What is the solution?  Read Full »

Dr. Prerna Jain

Dentist, Orthodontist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The tongue numbness is caused by nerve injury or irritation at the time of giving local anesthesia before your tooth removal or even due to the closeness of the roots of your tooth to the nerve bundle. However, this is usually transient and there is a gradual recovery of ...  Read Full »

Why is there numbness in tongue and jaw after wisdom tooth extraction?

Query: Hello doctor, My lower right side impacted wisdom tooth has been extracted a week back. Till now my half tongue and jawline of the right side are numb or I am not feeling hot or cold at that side. I am so much worried. Is that normal or is it a concern of worrying? I am panicking for getting sense ...  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentist, Endodontist, Pedodontist, Periodontist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If the tongue feels numb even after a day, then you may have a condition called paresthesia. It occurs when the injection injures the nerves. and such numbness can remain for a week or two, sometimes even for a month. But it will go away as the nerves heal slowly. Ta...  Read Full »

Why is my tongue numb and scalloped for past one week?

Query: Hello doctor,I woke up with the tip of my tongue numb a week back and has been since. I do drink alcohol and smoke cigarettes but have stopped since I started feeling the numbness. I can also see the sides of my tongue look scalloped.  Read Full »

Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your question and I can understand your concern. This can be because of the transient nerve compression. If you have any grossly decayed tooth on the same side or any missing third molar. Most of the times unerupted or decayed third molar are the ca...  Read Full »

Why do I have burning sensation on tongue three days after root canal injection?

Query: Hello doctor,On Friday morning, I had a root canal done. I was given an injection that kind of hurt. After that, I realized my tongue was numb. All day Saturday, my tongue was numb but by the end of the day, it got better. I woke up on Sunday and I had a tingling sensation but by the end, it changed...  Read Full »

Dr. Divya Banu M

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. How are you doing? Do not worry. This is the reversal of anesthesia effect. It is just that it is taking a little longer time in you. Tingling sensation means that the nerve anesthesia is going off. Wait for two more days. If you still feel numbness, then get back t...  Read Full »

My tongue and lip are numb nine hours after a tooth was removed. What to do?

Query: Hello doctor,I just removed one wisdom tooth on my right side. It has been nine hours and the half of my tongue, lip and teeth are numb. What should I do? Is this permanent?  Read Full »

Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have been through your query. The numbness you are feeling is because of transient mandibular nerve palsy which is the most common complication of the inferior alveolar nerve block. So, do not panic. It will be alright within 24 hours. You can put hot sand in a clot...  Read Full »

What could be the reason for my sudden feeling of tongue numbness?

Query: Hi doctor, For about a week, the right end of my tongue has been feeling just like a little numb and swelling. It would come and go a little bit throughout the day. It does not hurt, but it is just annoying. Sometimes, I will rub the end of my tongue on my teeth, and I did not know if that would cau...  Read Full »

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read through your complaint and the relevant details. You have mentioned that you are experiencing this kind of tongue numbness only for a week and also had a filling done recently. So, my question to you is, did you get any injections in the mouth during your dent...  Read Full »