Abscessed Tooth

What is the white lump behind my front teeth?

Query: Hello doctor, For the past few weeks I have had a development of some kind of white lump just behind my two front teeth. It moves a little if you touch it, and it is painful if you press down on it. Otherwise, it does not hurt. It is noticeable when you take pictures of the inside of my mouth, at t...  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentist, Endodontist, Pedodontist, Periodontist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It could be an abscess which needs antibiotics for a week. Show to a dentist soon, else it may get painful. Send those pictures to help me confirm.  Read Full »

How to prevent infection in tooth cavity?

Query: Hello doctor, In my whole life I am known for eating candy and not brushing my teeth as much as I should. Today, I went to the dentist and said that I have nine cavities. This concerns me because I am not sure how long I had the cavities. This is my first time I am visiting a dentist. I read an a...  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, by getting the tooth filled you can prevent further decay of the teeth. It would prevent any spread of infection. Yes, dental infection can get life-threatening through septicemia (bacteria in blood), which can go through the maxillary sinus to the brain. But, it ha...  Read Full »

Re-treatment with root canal vs. extraction. Which is better?

Query: Hi doctor, I have infection on tooth number 14. I have been thinking about extraction versus retreatment. It is an 11 years old root canal treated tooth. A crown was placed on it 2 years ago. After that, once in a while it happened to become sore. Two months ago, another crown was placed on my low...  Read Full »

Dr. Sandeep Menon

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thank you for sending across the x-ray (attachment removed to protect patient identity). One of the roots has a huge abscess. The reason is that, it is only half filled. Half of the infected pulp is still inside. This actually can be retreated. But, it might require more ...  Read Full »

Please suggest an alternative to Flagyl.

Query: Hi doctor, I have a dental abscess from an impacted wisdom tooth. The abscess has occurred on three occasions before. The x-ray showed an impacted bottom wisdom tooth that is, partial bony horizontal impacted third molar. The pain is sharp and radiating towards the front teeth and some pain behind t...  Read Full »

Dr. Paras Angrish

Dentist, Pedodontist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. A wisdom tooth infection is not an infection of the tooth, but an infection of the gum around the tooth. Infection in wisdom tooth is very common if it is not coming out correctly in the mouth. The first thing most people notice is that the gum is a bit sore over the wis...  Read Full »

Can tooth infection cause tingling and numbness of lip and chin?

Query: Hello doctor, The last molar on my left side broke around two years ago. It slightly niggled and chipped further during that time, reminding me that it needed to be fixed, but never actually posed a problem. I finally went to the dentist last year and an X-ray was taken. A decay was present at the ...  Read Full »

Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Possibly there been some compression or inflammation of the inferior alveolar nerve, which passes through the mandible and then emerges as the mental nerve. The mental nerve supplies the part below the lower lip and chin. If you have pain, severe tingling, pins and n...  Read Full »

What could be causing extreme lymph node pain in the neck?

Query: Hi doctor, What could be causing the extreme pains in my lymph nodes under my neck and tingling the in head? Should I see a doctor in person? I had a sinus infection a month ago when the neck pains suddenly appeared. I was given antibiotics. It got rid of my other sinus symptoms, but not the lymph ...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The first possibility of meningitis is unlikely. It would cause fever, severe headache and patient will be very sick. I do not think this to be a lymph node pain because lymph nodes will hurt only when they enlarge in a short duration of maximum one or two wee...  Read Full »

What Is The Best Course of Action For Infected Wisdom Tooth?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a lower wisdom tooth that has been infected chronically for well over a year. I also have an upper molar that is broken decayed and has been like this for years. The wisdom tooth oozes green pus if you apply pressure with a cotton swab. The decayed tooth is mildly painful. I saw my...  Read Full »

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your complaint and the relevant details. Please do not panic relating this to death. The good thing is you do not have chills or swelling. Huge swellings that cover the entire face, jaw or neck are only dangerous. These are called space infection that keeps s...  Read Full »

I have a white raised ulcer in gums. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor,I have an ulcer on top of the tooth on the gums (a white raised ulcer). Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Tooba Qazi

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. This is not an ulcer, infact it is big pus boil that has occurred due to some infection in your underlying tooth. You should start with an antibiotic regime immediately and get it treated. Most probably root canal treatment and scaling will be done of teeth under question...  Read Full »

Why is there a swelling with toothache?

Query: Hello doctor, For a few days, I have had a bad toothache. I noticed swelling and begun taking antibiotics. I woke up today and the pain is gone but it is even more swollen. I have been using cold and heat compresses, as well as salt water rinse. I am worried I may have developed an abscess but I do...  Read Full »

Dr. Tooba Qazi

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Understanding your situation, I am prescribing you a proper antibiotic regime that will help in diminishing abscess and infection. Take Augmentin 625 mg twice a day, tablet Metronidazole 400 mg twice a day, tablet Brufen 400 mg twice a day. Take all these medicines for th...  Read Full »

There is a hole in tooth with pain and swelling. Is it serious?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother is 45 years old. She got a hole in teeth and she is complaining of a toothache for three days and from yesterday, she developed swelling on the right half of the face. Is this any sort of emergency?  Read Full »

Dr. Deepti Jakhmola

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. After going through your query and image sent by you (attachment removed to protect patient identity), this seems to be a case of severe infection inside the right tooth. Tooth decay has resulted in infection in the innermost part of the tooth called pulp that contai...  Read Full »