Chemical Allergy

Certain chemicals that trigger the immune system of the body, resulting in an allergic reaction is called chemical allergy. This allergic reaction is also called allergic contact dermatitis. The common chemical allergens include hair dyes, perfumes, skincare products, soaps, preservatives, and sunscreens. The symptoms include red skin, hives, scaly patches, blisters, and sun sensitivity.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by Verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

My face appears swollen and itchy after using the exfoliating solution. What should I do next?

Query: Hello doctor,I used an exfoliating solution for three days. It is supposed to be my fifth day of using it, but I stopped using it because my face looks so itchy and swollen. I think I have an allergic reaction. What is this, and what should I do?  Read Full »

Dr. Suvash Sahu

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I can understand your concern. As per your description, it seems you have irritant contact dermatitis due to Tretinoin and Hydroquinone chemical. It is a localized disease confined to the areas of exposure and may aggravate subsequent exposure. After cleaning the area,...  Read Full »

Can getting walls painted cause breakouts and rashes?

Query: Hello doctor, Could painting our interior walls cause our 6-year-old to break out in a rash on her face? She has had mild eczema since she was a baby and is seen sometimes on her legs and arms. Shortly after we painted, a patchy rash appeared all over her face but nowhere else. If this is the cause,...  Read Full »

Dr. Shanza Ikram

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Yes, it is very common for an eczematous child to get a reaction or allergy to any chemical. And yes, paint does contain such an ingredient which can irritate the child's skin. Keep the child's skin well moisturized by applying Vaseline. I suggest applying 1 % Hydroco...  Read Full »

What could be the cause of a red rash above the lip line?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a red rash slightly above my lip line. It is dry and sometimes a little itchy. I did not use to have it, but it started around the time my partner got on acne medication, and it does not go away, with the exception of when I traveled abroad for vacation. For some reason, it went...  Read Full »

Dr. G. S. S. Sandeep

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Your concern is perioral dermatitis. It may be secondary to cheilitis as well. Also, It may be due to the following: 1. Cosmetics like lip balm. 2. Contact allergens like a new toothpaste. 3. An irritation is secondary to mouthwash and denitrifies. 4. Exposur...  Read Full »

What is the risk of ethanol inhalation?

Query: Hello doctor, I want to know if there is a short-term health risk due to the inhalation of 70 % ethanol and isopropyl alcohol. I do not mean the hand wash, but the pure liquid, which I use for electronic repairing and cleaning. I almost always use an organic vapor mask or gas mask. If I work long...  Read Full »

Dr. Sugandh Garg

Answer: Hello, Welcome to An occasional brief exposure of not more than two minutes, as you mentioned, can be done without a mask. However, it is always recommended to use protection when dealing with poisonous gases, especially when you are working in that environment regularly. For more infor...  Read Full »

Does lacquer exposure cause long-term health effects?

Query: Hi doctor, I did a do-it-yourself art project using lacquer on a wooden table about a year ago. I did not ventilate well and felt lightheaded the next day after the product dried. The lightheaded or dizziness effect went away after a few days when the product dried. I had felt no other negative sym...  Read Full »

Dr. Sugreev Singh

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Thank you for writing, and I understand your concern. Usually, it does not cause such severe complications or long-term side effects; as you have mentioned, the exposure was one year ago, and it was just once. Occupational exposure can lead to specific side effects or d...  Read Full »

After undergoing skin firming treatment, I have two large bulges on my lower face. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 34, and I used to get Botox once in every few months. I recently went to a plastic surgeon to have a consult for skin firming treatment. I was told that I am an excellent candidate for Sculptra facial injections. I was told that the facial injections would cause no down time and g...  Read Full »

Dr. Atishay Bukharia

Answer: Hi, Welcome to You might be suffering from granuloma formation following allergic reaction to injected substance. In some cases, they may take years to subside. A physical examination is required to confirm the diagnosis, and a long course of Prednisolone may be needed to hasten the re...  Read Full »

How to know whether I am allergic to latex?

Query: Hi doctor, I had oral sex with a condom. I got a white dot on the top of the roof as well a lesion in the mouth. I have attached the picture. I believe I am allergic to latex. Is this an allergic reaction? Or what can it be? What can I do to make this go away? It has been like this for two days.  Read Full »

Dr. Geethanjali. S. S

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I have seen the picture you have attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Here is how to check if you are allergic to latex. If you think oral sex had lead to such an allergic reaction, then it should be present in one to two days from the contact of lat...  Read Full »

Why am I experiencing abdominal pain, burning tongue and throat, and gray-colored stools?

Query: Hi doctor, I have had severe reflux since January and was just diagnosed with GERD and grade C esophagitis in February. At the time the reflux started, I began having yellow stool with a lot of undigested food in it. My stool has not been brown once since this started and there is always undigested...  Read Full »

Dr. Ajeet Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to To be very honest, it is little strange that you developed GERD symptoms in January and developed Grade C esophagitis due to reflux. Since most of the patients with chronic GERD do have acid reflux symptoms for many years before having worsening symptoms and developm...  Read Full »

My mom is allergic to Kumkum. What to do?

Query: Hello doctor, I am asking a query on behalf of my mother. One year back, my mom got some allergy in the area where she applies kumkum (a powder she got used to putting it from many years in the centre of the forehead). The allergy has reduced after she consulted a doctor, but it left a black sca...  Read Full »

Dr. Shalini Patodiya

Answer: Hi, Welcome to She has an allergy to kumkum. It is a very common problem.  She needs to avoid kumkum altogether. Whenever she applies kumkum, her problem will increase. As of now, I suggest her Momate cream (Mometasone furoate) twice daily and tablet Dazit (Desloratadine) once daily...  Read Full »

How to get rid of burning sensation in my hands due to reaction from a bathroom unblocker?

Query: Hello doctor, After using a bathroom unblocker, I seem to be getting a reaction on anything I touch in the bathroom. My hand feels like burning, and if I touch my face, it feels the same. I keep wearing gloves to prevent this. The unblocker was used a week ago, and I feel that particles somehow spr...  Read Full »

Dr. Sugreev Singh

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Usually, unblocker does not lead to such symptoms, and as you mentioned, you used it a week ago but still feel the sensation. If the blocker was too strong or maybe expired, then it can cause some symptoms. If not, the symptoms you are experiencing can be due to some...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.