Laryngopharyngeal Reflux Disease

What could be the cause for throat redness and mouth sores in a healthy person?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 32 years old with a height of 6 feet and weight around 105 kg. But my body is fit, not bulky, and I have no other diseases. I do not drink or smoke, no junk foods and alcohol. No wine, no beer, etc. Only homely food. But, I eat chicken fry and red meat a lot. I recently did a tho...  Read Full »

Dr. Sandeep Shrestha

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per your history, you have chronic granular pharyngitis with laryngopharyngeal reflux. Chronic granular pharyngitis is an alteration in the pharynx's mucous membrane involving the mucous glands and the lymph follicles. It is aggravated by allergens, viruses, bac...  Read Full »

What could be the reason for throat irritation, blisters and swallowing difficulty?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 31-year-old. For the past five years, I have reddishness in the throat, and throat blisters may be inflammation (I do not know the correct word). I checked my blood thyroid, and all internal organs are working fine. Uric acid is a bit high and deficiency of vitamin D. I have sy...  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The most common reason for having this throat irritation with a feeling of a lump or something obstructing while swallowing saliva can be a feature of chronic silent GERD with LPR (gastroesophageal reflux with laryngopharyngeal reflux). Even though you might be asy...  Read Full »

Throat irritation with phlegm is not improving with medications. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I got a few inquiries about my current situation. I was suffering from this white phlegm in my throat for six months that bothers me, especially when sleeping. I consulted an ENT online who said that I was suffering from laryngopharyngeal reflux, and she prescribed me antacids and PPI...  Read Full »

Dr. Sugreev Singh

Internal Medicine Physician, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thank you for the detailed history and attaching pictures (attachment removed to protect identity). As you mentioned, the previous doctor said it could be reflux. This can be true, but such a prolonged duration and still not healing suspect oral infection, which is mos...  Read Full »

Are white spots on the throat related to GERD and LPR?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a healthy 43-year-old female, non-smoker. I was diagnosed with strep throat two weeks back. I was treated with Amoxicillin, and within 72 hours, I felt all better. When I was diagnosed, I had a white spot in the back of my throat. I have had strep throat many times and have white sp...  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for briefing about the problem in concern. The white spots in the throat could be lymphoid follicles, which would have increased in size due to earlier infection or persisting noninfectious inflammation. They do not indicate nor tend towards cancer or malignancy...  Read Full »

Why am I getting throat irritation when I get exposed to pollution?

Query: Hi doctor,I have this sore throat like thing in my throat for the past 10 months. It is painless, remains the same, without any change, but bothering me a lot. I also have no problem with swallowing or breathing. I am 18 years old. I do have smoked, but I do not have a habit of smoking. The throat g...  Read Full »

Dr. Vinay S Bhat

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The photo (attachment removed to protect patient identity) of the throat you have sent does not show anything significantly abnormal. There are normal-sized tonsils, and there are some lymphatic tissue swellings in the pharynx, which are expected in people living in cit...  Read Full »

Is smoking anyway related to the plugged feel in my ears?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 28 years old. I started smoking a year before (two units daily). For the past six months, I have plugged/fullness feeling in my right ear. Sometimes pop sound also occurs. When I yawn or chew gum, it decreases but again returns. Fullness and pressure sensation is felt across the ...  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are two problems out there. 1. Eustachian tube catarrh: the eustachian tube basically ventilates the nose and the ear. In a situation where it does not function, a negative pressure develops in the side of the ear leading to feeling of vaccum, ringing sounds, fee...  Read Full »

What could cause white patch on tonsil with throat irritation?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a burning sensation on one side of the throat and neck. White patch covering on the left side of the throat just behind the tonsils where burning sensation is. I had acid reflux, but PPI is not helping. Wondering what the white patch maybe?  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I had a detailed look at the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity) you have sent and there is absolutely nothing that you need to worry about. The white patch is due to chronic irritation which is definitely a feature of chronic silent GERD with LPR...  Read Full »

I am concerned about my throat irritation, ear fullness and forehead lump. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, For the last seven weeks, my throat has been very dry. It is not painful but causes me to swallow fairly often due to the feeling if there being something in my throat. On top of that, my left ear has been feeling full for the last four months. I had a hearing test, and my hearing is ...  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The most common reason of having this irritation in throat is associated with soreness and lump like feeling can definitely be a feature of chronic silent GERD with LPR (gastroesophageal reflux with laryngopharyngeal reflux). Even though you might be asymptomatic or...  Read Full »

What could be the reason for frequent sore throat with acid reflux?

Query: Hello doctor, I went to my ENT a few months ago to get my throat scoped because I have chronic acid reflux. He said my throat looked fine. This week my reflux was quite bad so I used Fluticasone propionate and it helped, but now my throat is sore on one side. I have attached a photo, should I be wor...  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I had a detailed look at the picture you have sent (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The most common reason for having this irritation in the throat with generalized soreness or to one side can definitely be a feature of chronic silent GERD with LPR (ga...  Read Full »

What could present as two pea-sized lumps on the either side of Adam's apple?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had a swollen tonsil since March. It all started with a sore throat. I felt really ill and the tonsil is still swollen and I have red spots on the back of my throat. And in my neck, I can feel two pea lumps on either side of my Adam's apple. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for providing detailed history and photo of the area in concern (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your tonsils are definitely enlarged and I would classify them to be grade 2 hypertrophied. However, the tonsils do not seem to have acute inflam...  Read Full »