Low Carb Diet

Does the reading of 103 mg/dl after 16 hours of meal indicate prediabetic stage?

Query: Hello doctor, I recently bought a blood glucose meter because diabetes runs heavily in my family. I have not been diagnosed with diabetes, but I checked my blood sugar today 16 hours without eating and it was 103. I know that it should be below 126 after eight hours of eating, but what is it suppos...  Read Full »

Dr. Nadeem Abootty

Diabetologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. From the above history, it is noted that you are having a strong family history of diabetes and also you have been noted with prediabetic range blood sugars in the past. Coming to your query, it is ideal to have less than 100mg/dl blood sugars after 12-16 hours post meal....  Read Full »

My blood sugar level is high though on medication. Please suggest on how to control it.

Query: Hi doctor, I need a consultation on my diabetes. My fasting plasma glucose is 226 mg/dL and in PP it is 390 mg/dL. I am currently on Diamicron MR, Volix 0.3, and Novomix pen 30/70. Please suggest.  Read Full »

Dr. Zulfiqar Ahmed

Endocrinologist, Diabetologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your sugar is uncontrolled and Vitamin D is low as well. You did not tell how much you are using Diamicron, Volix and Novomix. Please let me know the doses. Another thing is you should get checked urine albumin creatinine ratio and I think you may need a change in medi...  Read Full »

How much calorie deficit is ideal to reduce fat than muscle mass?

Query: Hi doctor, I am currently on a low carb, high-fat diet to lose weight. How much of a calorie deficit do I need to accomplish weight loss, decrease body fat percentage more than muscle mass?  Read Full »

Dr. Sumiya Sulthana

Nutritionist, Dietician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your BMI is 23 which is near normal, it might be with muscle mass or fat content. I need to evaluate still and need details for proper nutritional assessment to provide a correct advice. According to WHO (world health organization), you need 2000 kcal /day. For most pe...  Read Full »

Which diet is best preferred for elderly with systemic disease?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a cook with meals on wheels and I would like to get some well-balanced meal ideas for the elderly I cook for. I have people with diabetes, EBS, diverticulitis, and high blood pressure. Please suggest.  Read Full »

Dr. Sumiya Sulthana

Nutritionist, Dietician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Good to know the profession you have chosen. Ideally, you can keep a dietician for more help and meal planning, as she will plan the diet according to requirements and budget and considering company development. These tips may be helpful. 1. Choose good carbs, not no c...  Read Full »

Kindly list out the foods recommended for a vegan to get energy.

Query: Hello doctor, I am seeking experts to comment on low-carb diets. What is the complete macronutrient breakdown for a typical low-carb diet? How much fat should you eat on a low-carb diet? How much protein should you eat on a low-carb diet? We are looking for suggestions on vegan foods for energy. ...  Read Full »

Dr. Alka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query. In general, a person requires 1500-2000 calories per day. Carbohydrates, in general, can fulfill approximately 50% of our daily calorie requirements. People should usually take around approximately 200-325 grams of carbs daily. But if someone...  Read Full »

Is Garcinia Cambogia a good slimming product? Can you suggest low carb diet chart ?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 20 year old female. My height is 166 cm and I weigh 77 kg. Actually, I used to take less food only. But, I do not know, how I am getting obese. One of my friend said that Garcinia cambogia is a good slimming product. So, before using that, I thought of consulting a dietician. If...  Read Full »

Dr. Manidipa Dey

Dietician, Nutritionist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You need to have low calorie, low carbohydrate and high protein balanced diet chart for your weight loss. According to your height, your ideal body weight should be 63-65 kg. Diet and exercise both are important for the weight loss program. Exercise regularly. Do n...  Read Full »

Why am I not able to lose weight even after dieting?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 35 years old and I started dieting early last year. But it seems like my weight plateaued. I have been eating a low carb diet during weekdays and on Sundays, I eat the carbs that I want to eat. I work out 3 to 4 times a week. I sometimes sleep late. I have been on this schedule f...  Read Full »

Dr. Shakti Mishra

Fitness Expert, Nutritionist, Physiotherapist, Yoga Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Well, eating only low carbohydrate will not help. Follow a protein-rich, low carbohydrate, a fiber-rich diet that will fulfill the purpose. Have three small meals per day with lots of water. You can cheat sometimes with healthy junks. Exercise regularly with walk in ...  Read Full »

To avoid diabetes during pregnancy, what diet should have to follow?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 26 weeks pregnant. This weekend I had my glucose tolerance test (3 hours) and on which I failed badly. My fasting numbers were 172, 325 and 318. I know they are bad, but my doctor never told me to follow a strict diet of three to five days prior to the test. In my pregnancy, I ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are suffering from gestational diabetes mellitus without any doubt. As per IADPSG criteria (International Association of Diabetes and Pregnancy Study Group) and DIPSI criteria (The Diabetes and Pregnancy Study Group India) both makes you overt diabetic. T...  Read Full »

I have high blood sugar in spite of taking Glycomet. Should the dosage be changed?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 75 year old male. Though I have diabetes since five years, I am still not able to understand the disease. Recently, I have checked my glucose levels with one touch ultra on the same day. They are: Fasting 130. Two hours after breakfast 160. Befo...  Read Full »

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query and went through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). From what you have mentioned it appears that you have type 2 diabetes. It appears that your diabetes is slightly uncontrolled as per your HbA1c of 6.7 %. The pr...  Read Full »

My TSH is slightly elevated. Should I consult an endocrinologist?

Query: Hello doctor, I got my blood tested, and the TSH is slightly elevated. Should I consult an endocrinologist? I have been suffering from a sleeping disorder for the last three years but never diagnosed with thyroid or any other disease except vitamin D deficiency. I am tackling my insomnia with exe...  Read Full »

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query and read each one of your reports that you have provided (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The slightly high TSH is insignificant and can be safely ignored. It could also be due to not sleeping properly as improper sleep can...  Read Full »