Low Heart Rate

My friend suffers with low heart rate after head injury. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, This query is with regard to one of my friends. He got an accident five months back. He was hospitalized in ICU. Blood came from his ear and so had a CT scan done. An ENT doctor said that his ear is fine and no hearing problem. Later he was shifted to his native. He was in ICU there. Hi...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. We are here to help you. Probably your friend has got head injury that is causing the brain edema which is causing the low heart rate known as bradycardia. He should get a repeat CT done. We usually give saline, antibiotics and Mannitol to reduce the swelling tha...  Read Full »

Is it safe for me to do exercise with a low heart rate?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had really bad anxiety lately and never check my heart rate and decided to check it. It was only about 63 beats per minute, but it was around 90 the last time I checked. I have recently been put on Pantoprozole and an extra blood pressure pill for anxiety. I would say I am very...  Read Full »

Dr. Isaac Gana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. A normal pulse rate is anything between 60 to 90 beats per minute. So 63 beats per minute is not bad. I am slightly worried about your weight. The chest pain you are having might be angina. I strongly advise you to do an echo, chest x-ra...  Read Full »

Should I concern about my resting low heart rate?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 24-year-old male. I have health anxiety and over the past few days, I have noticed my heart rates is as low as 46. Upon further research, my fitness tracker has shown a steady decline in my resting heart rate over the past few weeks. A steady drop the low 60s in April to an ave...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is usually not a matter of concern. Are you an athlete or involved in heavy activities or vigorous running? It is usually fine to have a resting heart rate in this range especially in individuals who perform heavy activities. It is due to high vagal tone in athle...  Read Full »

Is it normal for an 82-year-old to have a pulse rate of 54?

Query: Hi doctor, I am an 82-year-old man and noticed that my pulse was 54 late a couple of nights ago. I recorded it yesterday throughout the beginning with 8 am and ending at 10:15 pm. The pulse was 58, 60, 80, 78, 69, and 54. The 80 was after hiking 2.5 miles. I am concerned about the low of 54. I a...  Read Full »

Dr. Isaac Gana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for reaching out to us. I understand your concern about your health. Please do not be worried as it is nothing. It is perfectly normal to have a slightly low pulse as you age. It is a physiological change that occurs with aging perhaps 54 beats per minute ca...  Read Full »

Will Labetalol for high BP cause reduced heart rate?

Query: Hello doctor, I have high blood pressure and I take Labetalol 200 mg once a day. I was started on this before eight months after my daughter was born. I notice now while monitoring my blood pressure that my heart rate is very low like 53 bpm. Should I be concerned?  Read Full »

Dr. Isaac Gana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your pulse rate at 53 bpm is slightly low but not too low to cause any concern. It can be of concern when it becomes lower and presents with symptoms such as lightheadedness or fainting. In case you develop these symptoms please contact the physician that prescribed ...  Read Full »

Could my father's bradycardia be linked to his thyroid gland disorder?

Query: Hello doctor, My father was diagnosed with thyroid gland disorder wherein T3 and T4 levels come as normal in results while TSH is pretty much high. Sometimes, the TSH value rises to 100. He has been on Levothyroxine or Eltroxin 100 mcg for the last 17 to 18 years now. Lately, he was hospitalized f...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Firstly, from the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) it appears that he is having bradycardia and sinus arrhythmia, but no tachycardia. So, according to me, electrophysiology (EP) studies may be helpful, but not necessary. It could be due to thy...  Read Full »

Is it possible that anxiety causes episodes of bradycardia?

Query: Hello Doctor,   Is it possible that anxiety causes episodes of bradycardia?  Read Full »

Andrologist, General Practitioner, Geriatrician, Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Psychotherapist, Sexologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com The answer is definitely NO which means anxiety in pure form does not cause bradycardia since anxiety is associated with increased adrenergic activity. But bradycardia can be found in a person with anxiety disorder because of other factors: If you are taking beta-bloc...  Read Full »

Do I have sinus bradycardia based on the reports?

Query: Hi doctor,I am 57 years old female. I am doing my annual health check-up for last three years. Below are some variation in my report this year, with respect to normal range. Could you please share your advice regarding this:E.C.G - Sinus Bradycardia (except this normal study. Same is there in the re...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and they are fine. Even heart issue of sinus bradycardia appears to be fine. This is likely an age related change and slowing of the heart rate. I guess you do not have any symptoms o...  Read Full »