Low Heart Rate

Could my father's bradycardia be linked to his thyroid gland disorder?

Query: Hello doctor, My father was diagnosed with thyroid gland disorder wherein T3 and T4 levels come as normal in results while TSH is pretty much high. Sometimes, the TSH value rises to 100. He has been on Levothyroxine or Eltroxin 100 mcg for the last 17 to 18 years now. Lately, he was hospitalized f...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Firstly, from the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) it appears that he is having bradycardia and sinus arrhythmia, but no tachycardia. So, according to me, electrophysiology (EP) studies may be helpful, but not necessary. It could be due to thy...  Read Full »

My friend suffers with low heart rate after head injury. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, This query is with regard to one of my friends. He got an accident five months back. He was hospitalized in ICU. Blood came from his ear and so had a CT scan done. An ENT doctor said that his ear is fine and no hearing problem. Later he was shifted to his native. He was in ICU there. Hi...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. We are here to help you. Probably your friend has got head injury that is causing the brain edema which is causing the low heart rate known as bradycardia. He should get a repeat CT done. We usually give saline, antibiotics and Mannitol to reduce the swelling tha...  Read Full »

Is it possible that anxiety causes episodes of bradycardia?

Query: Hello Doctor,   Is it possible that anxiety causes episodes of bradycardia?  Read Full »

Andrologist, General Practitioner, Geriatrician, Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Psychotherapist, Sexologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com The answer is definitely NO which means anxiety in pure form does not cause bradycardia since anxiety is associated with increased adrenergic activity. But bradycardia can be found in a person with anxiety disorder because of other factors: If you are taking beta-bloc...  Read Full »

Do I have sinus bradycardia based on the reports?

Query: Hi doctor,I am 57 years old female. I am doing my annual health check-up for last three years. Below are some variation in my report this year, with respect to normal range. Could you please share your advice regarding this:E.C.G - Sinus Bradycardia (except this normal study. Same is there in the re...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and they are fine. Even heart issue of sinus bradycardia appears to be fine. This is likely an age related change and slowing of the heart rate. I guess you do not have any symptoms o...  Read Full »