Elisa Test

Related Terms: Hiv Testing, Hiv Infection, Hiv, Hiv Risk Factors, Hiv Rna Pcr Test, Hiv Symptoms, Vdrl Test

Is ELISA test reliable?
Query: Hi doctor, I am 29 years old. I had protected sex with a call girl before five months. But, I want to confirm whether I was infected with any disease. I have read on the internet that window period for HIV is three months and hence to confirm I have undergone HIV testing called ELISA. The result of ...  Read Full »
Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, HIV AIDS Specialist, Plastic Surgeon, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Let me answer one by one. Yes, ELISA is highly reliable (enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay). It has got the sensitivity of 99.97% after three months of exposure, which means out of 10,000 HIV positive people it can rightly level 9,997 people as HIV positive. There is no n...  Read Full »

Is performing ELISA test difficult?
Query: Hi doctor, Before 16 years, I had two high risk exposure with sex workers and the risk was condom break in both situations. After three months from my last exposure I did ELISA test for HIV 1 and 2. It came back negative. Again, I did the same mistake after one year, condom break with a sex worker....  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. ELISA (enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay) is very easy to perform and has a sensitivity of around 99%, that means out of 100 HIV positive persons it will come positive in 99 of them. 1 person may come negative despite of him being HIV positive. So, at first instance, neg...  Read Full »

What is the cut-off value for ELISA test?
Query: Hello doctor, I have some queries about HIV, ELISA/ECLIA TEST. What is the cut-off for this test? In some lab reports, they do not mention the cut off rate. They just mention if it is reactive or non-reactive. In some labs, 0.9 is the cut off while in others, it is different. Why is it so?  Read Full »
Dr. Arun R Kaushik
Microbiologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The cut-off depends on the kit and the instrument used. For more information consult a microbiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/microbiologist  Read Full »

I have bumps around my vagina, which bleed on having sex. Please help.
Query: Hi doctor, I have these bumps around my vagina. They look like skin tags. They do not itch, but when I have sex, they start bleeding. I hurt them while shaving, and they started bleeding. What could I have? Or could it be some sort of STD?  Read Full »
Dr. Meha Malhotra

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. With the symptoms you have provided, it is not an STD (sexually transmitted disease). But if you have any doubt, I advise you to take an ELISA test. Most probably, you do not have skin tags, but a collection of vasculatures, as they bleed on any injury. You can get it ...  Read Full »

Can soreness in throat and skin redness after sex be due to HIV infection?
Query: Hello doctor, I am 42 years old white male, I had protected intercourse vaginal and anal and unprotected oral sex, vaginal and anal exactly 17 days back. Eight days after I had an itch in my throat that practically made the corner of my mouth pucker for a day or two and lost my appetite. Around the...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You had protected intercourse and so the chance of HIV is less. The mentioned symptoms are not suggestive of HIV. But still, for peace of the mind, it is advisable to investigate with CMIA combo ELISA test for HIV after six weeks of exposure. Your rashes seem to be a...  Read Full »

Is negative RNA PCR test on day 12 a conclusive one?
Query: Hi doctor, A month ago, I had unprotected oral sex with a CSW. On 4th day, I had severe headache and it lasted for five days and I had shaft tip pain for a day. On day 12, I had RNA PCR test and it came back negative. Also, on 12th day I carried CIMA antibody test and that too came back negative. ...  Read Full »
Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your complaints and understand your concern. RNA PCR (polymerase chain reaction) at 12 days is not conclusive. It is 99.5 percent sensitive. I would recommend you to go for enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay test - ELISA test at 12 weeks as this will be...  Read Full »

Is immuno-concentration HIV test conclusive after 15 months of sexual exposure?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 25-year-old boy. I had a partner for past 2 to 3 years. We performed sex 6 to 7 times. Last was before 14 months and then had a break-up. Now I see that she is HIV positive. Now I fear about HIV because there is high risk and I want to marry another girl. My symptoms are a sore...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. Do not worry, I will solve your doubt. After around one year almost any test can rule out HIV conclusively. So rapid test is reliable and no need for further testing. But still, you have investigated with chemilumiscence test that gives re...  Read Full »

Are my fever and boils due to HIV?
Query: Hi doctor, Last month, I had sex with a third gender. I was little drunk at that time. I used a condom but she did not let me penetrate. Instead, she simply inserted my penis between her thighs and tried to take money from me. During the intercourse, I did not ejaculat...  Read Full »
Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your current problem of fever and boils is not due to the recent contact or HIV, but due to other causes. I have seen your blood reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There is nothing to worry about. As you are worried about HIV, you can go for ...  Read Full »

Are the HIV tests done by me right?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 32 year old male. My weight is 95 kg and height is 174 cm. I had protected vaginal and oral sex with CSW. Then, I did the following HIV Screening tests and all of that came back negative. ELISA on 26th day - non reactive, ELISA on 40th day - non reactive, HIV 1 and 2 ...  Read Full »
Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your query in detail and viewed all the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and do understand your concern. As you indulged in protective sex, your risk of acquiring any STD (sexually transmitted disease) or HIV (human immunodeficiency ...  Read Full »

Are my flu-like symptoms due to HIV infection?
Query: Hello doctor, About 4 weeks ago, I got oral sex from a partner whose HIV status is unknown to me. I did only that with her. I always thought that it represented no risk of contamination to HIV. Now the thing is that about 1 week after that intercourse, I did a general blood test and found out that ...  Read Full »
Dr. Meha Malhotra

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Firstly pre-existing lesion of herpes or any genital ulcer on the penis during sexual intercourse or oral sex increases the chances of HIV transmission. Your blood report came positive for Herpes 1 and 2. Herpes 1 mostly causes oral ulcers, and herpes 2 causes genital l...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Elisa Test? We have medical experts to help you right away.