Herpes Zoster

Related Terms: Herpes Zoster Symptoms, Viral Infection, Acyclovir, Skin Rashes, Bell's Palsy, Chickenpox Vaccination, Gabapentin

Shingles (Herpes Zoster): Symptoms, Vaccine, and Management
Article Overview: This article talks about shingles, a viral infection, how it is caused, its symptoms, and how it can be prevented.  Read Article »
Dr. Vasantha K S

Shingles also called as herpes zoster, is an infection of the nerve caused by varicella-zoster virus, the same virus which causes chickenpox. When the virus first attacks a person, it manifests as chickenpox. After the chickenpox infection has run its course, the virus stays dormant (passive) in the ...  Read Article »

Is herpes zoster dangerous?
Query: Hi doctor, My mother was diagnosed to have herpes zoster. Also, her doctor says that the herpes has caused ulcers. I would like to know in how much time it will heal? Is herpes zoster a dangerous one?  Read Full »
Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you know, Herpes zoster is a viral infection. It takes 7 to 10 days for the lesions to heal. But, in patients who are diabetic, old age, secondarily infected and with an incomplete antiviral dose or seropositive it can take up to 15 days to get cured. In elderl...  Read Full »

Whom should I consult for herpes zoster?
Query: Hello doctor, I have herpes zoster. Should I consult a dermatologist or a general physician? My age is 24. What kind of diet has to be taken?  Read Full »
Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Herpes zoster is a dermatology condition. It is a viral reactivation. It has to be treated as soon as possible to prevent the postherpetic neuralgia (residual pain). It is the varicella virus, not related to diet. You can continue taking your regular diet with 2 to 3 li...  Read Full »

I was exposed to herpes zoster virus in the first month of pregnancy. Do I have to terminate?
Query: Hi doctor,I am being advised to terminate a desired pregnancy because of the medication I have been prescribed to tackle a virus that I got just after becoming pregnant. I am looking for a second medical opinion on whether termination is necessary. I would like to understand the risks to the fetus o...  Read Full »
Dr. Vidya

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The increased exposure to corticosteroid can cross the placental barrier and cause adrenal suppression in the fetus. This can lead to salt wasting, electrolyte imbalances, and even poor development of the fetus. The organs can also have improper developed and ...  Read Full »

Can viral infection during early pregnancy cause autism?
Query: Hi doctor, My wife is seven weeks pregnant (about three weeks from fertilization, we think, because she has long cycles) and came down with shingles almost 2 weeks ago (and a cold about a week ago). She has been taking Acyclovir and the pain has reduced but is still present. We are worried about th...  Read Full »
Dr. Eeshani Dutta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Shingles is herpes zoster, which is the reactivation of the chicken-pox virus in the body due to an immunocompromised status like pregnancy. But thankfully, the effects are not disastrous for the unborn baby as your wife already has antibodies against the virus in her b...  Read Full »

Does chickenpox spread through breast milk?
Query: Hi doctor, I am 31 years old and a mother of 7 months old baby. Recently, I have got infected with herpes zoster virus on my back. It is a small patch above my waist. Doctor told me to stop breastfeeding for a week. But, my baby is exclusively breastfed till now and not taking bottle feed after seve...  Read Full »
Dr. Deepak Patel
Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. If you have chickenpox or herpes zoster virus infection and you are breastfeeding, then your baby does not get infected with the chickenpox virus through your breast milk. However, if you still have blisters on your skin, then it is poss...  Read Full »

From the photo, can you tell me if the lesions are shingles?
Query: Hi doctor, From what was being thought to be muscular inflammation of the back under the shoulder a week ago with constant pain since last week. I have lesions in my body, which look like shingles. I am attaching a photo of these lesions.  Read Full »
Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your main complaint is pain under shoulder and you are suspecting herpes zoster (shingles). Herpes zoster begins with pain along the affected root of nerve followed by an appearance of the rash. The rash is painful and progresses over 7 to 10 days. The pain starts d...  Read Full »

I got some rashes on my hands after carrying iron rods. What could it be due to?
Query: Dear doctor, I am a 66 year old male. No diabetes, no hypertension with normal lipid limits. I am working in a remote area where no medical facility is available. Since last week, I have a rash on my right hand with a rose circle that has several watery eruptions. It is only in the hand. The ones I...  Read Full »
Dr. (prof.) Kumaresan Muthuvel

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through the images (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You are having herpes zoster. This is a viral infection. I suggest taking the following tablet. Valtoval (Valacyclovir) 1 g thrice a day for five days. Consult your specialist doctor, discu...  Read Full »

I have a rash that is itchy and uncomfortable. What could it be?
Query: Hello doctor, I have a rash that is kinda itchy and it is too warm to touch. It appeared in my lower abdomen and nothing is coming out of it. My environment did not change and my food habits did not either, despite including bananas in my diet.  Read Full »
Dr. Shanza Ikram

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the images (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There are two possibilities: Insect bite reaction. Herpes zoster infection. In my opinion, your lesions are more likely to be of herpes zoster infection. Either visit your physicia...  Read Full »

A tender bump on the side of my nose is causing painful headaches. What is it?
Query: Hello doctor, I have a tender bump on the side of my nose, which is slowly getting bigger. It is on the right side of the bridge of my nose, and it is hot to touch. It does not look red, but it is extremely painful. My eyes and forehead also hurt and is causing a very painful headache. I have chroni...  Read Full »
Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your post, but it would have been better if you had posted a photograph of the lesion. There are three possibilities: Herpes zoster of the ophthalmic division of trigeminal nerve. This one is a problem because it may affect the eye, so it needs to b...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Herpes Zoster? We have medical experts to help you right away.