Inadequate Weight Gain In Newborn

Related Terms: Acid Reflux, Baby Constipation, Baby Fever, Baby Normal Behavior, Breast Feeding, Breast Milk, Calcium Supplements, Food For Baby

Though my baby is exclusively breastfed, why does he fail to thrive?
Query: Hi doctor, My baby was born at 37 weeks due to growth restriction. His weight was 5 lbs 3 oz. He was in NICU for seven days due to low blood sugar. He is 7 months old and weight 11 lbs 6 oz. He had reflux issues and lip and tongue tie. It was fixed at two months. The reflux was fine after 5 months o...  Read Full »
Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please note that the weight gain of your baby is fine. Normally birth weight doubles by the age of 6 months, which I think it has. As for 7-1/2 months of age, the weight is only a very little bit lesser probably because of reflux issues. Also, babies pass stools either 10...  Read Full »

How to know whether your breast milk is sufficient for the baby?
Article Overview: Breast milk is a nature's gift to provide the entire nutrition required for a newborn. In this article, I have highlighted the importance of breastfeeding, a few breastfeeding tips and advise to breastfeeding mothers. I have also explained the ways to understand if the breast milk is sufficient for your baby.  Read Article »
Dr. Vijaykumar Mundeshi
Lactation Counselor

Breast milk is the nutrition which nature has provided and is packed with all that is required for your baby till 6 months of age. Importance of Breastfeeding: A new born healthy baby has to be started on exclusive breastfeeding as early as possible after birth and continued till 6 months of age ...  Read Article »

Is jaundice in a newborn dangerous? What has to be done?
Query: Hello doctor, My cousin gave birth to a baby boy yesterday at 38 weeks and baby is 2.8 kg in weight. Yesterday evening the doctor told us that the baby has jaundice at 3.3 and now it is 5.3 What should we do for this? Is it dangerous? Hospital people said yesterday it was mild and does not need tre...  Read Full »
Dr. Amit Modi
Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Jaundice developing in a baby after 24 hours of life is physiological jaundice and does not require any treatment unless it crosses a limit assigned. Various factors are taken into account like: S bilirubin. Baby blood group. Mother's blood group. Gestational a...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Inadequate Weight Gain In Newborn? We have medical experts to help you right away.