Melanocytic Nevi

Related Terms: Mole, Melanoma, Features Of Melanoma, Nevus, Laser, Mole Color, Skin Biopsy

Why is my mole proliferating even after excision?
Query: Hi doctor, I have a question about a mole. I had a mole biopsied a few week back and the pathology report came back, as the pathologic process is that of a proliferation of nevomelanocytes within the epidermis and focally within the dermis. Cytologic atypia is present and manifests as large nuclei,...  Read Full »
Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Melanocytic nevi have aberrant course and continue to show junctional activity. These areas can have cytological atypia, and disorderly growth pattern of malignant melanoma develops in situ. Downward spread in dermis results in invasive melanoma. Also, junct...  Read Full »

Why is there a bulging dark brown mole under my breast?
Query: Hi doctor, Three months ago, I saw a dark brown mole under my right breast. The mole does not produce any symptoms. The mole when touched is noticeable bulging, is not smooth as other moles that I have. What can it be?  Read Full »
Dr. Yeshwanth Kumar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It could be a normal melanocytic nevus. If there is a sudden increase in shape and size with irregular border, an increase in color or rapidly evolving, then you can go for a non-invasive technique like dermoscopy and invasive technique like skin biopsy to confirm wheth...  Read Full »

How does a melanoma mole look like?
Query: Hello doctor, I have this mole on my back. I think it has been there for a while. My GP took one look at it and declared completely benign. I was wondering what sort of mole it is? Is it worrying? I used sunbeds frequently for about a year when I was younger. Never since.  Read Full »
Dr. Yeshwanth Kumar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Most likely it is a benign melanocytic nevus (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The worrying signs are a sudden change in colour, a sudden increase in size and shape. If you want to confirm whether it is benign or not, you can go for dermoscopy (noninvasi...  Read Full »

What is the treatment for two perfectly symmetrical colored moles on the neck?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a teenager. Six months ago, I noticed that I had two colored moles on my neck. I immediately went to a dermatologist. She checked all my moles and she told me that the two colored moles were perfectly symmetrical. So, she did not offer to remove it. I have learned from the intern...  Read Full »
Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. One should always look for the following changes for melanocytic nevus: Change in color and irregular surface. Increase in the size of the lesion. Irregular margins. Inflammation. Bleeding, crusting, and oozing. There are many types of melanocytic nev...  Read Full »

The color and shape of a mole on my leg have changed. Should I be concerned?
Query: Hello doctor, I have had this mole on my leg since I was a teenager, and I am 31 years old now. I remember it being lighter in color and more oval, whereas now it is more of a triangle with darker pigmentation and two shades of brown. I measured it, and it is about 4 mm in width. I have an olive ski...  Read Full »
Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Melanocytic nevus is basically tan, brown macules with increased melanocytic activity. One should always look for following changes for melanocytic nevus: Change in color and irregular su...  Read Full »

Will scratching a mole affect the biopsy report?
Query: Hi doctor, Six weeks ago, I noticed a mole on my back. There was no itching or redness. But, I scratched it and went to the Urgent Care Clinic. The doctor said it looked like an irritated nevus. Then, during a shower it came off completely and left a flat area. Within a few weeks, it reappeared. Now...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your query and concern. With your descriptions it seems that you have melanocytic nevus. Scratching or healing would not affect the outcome of the biopsy. In a biopsy for making a diagnosis of BCC (basal cell carcinoma) we need to see basaloid cells with a pe...  Read Full »

I have a new mole with a small hair growth. Does it look concerning?
Query: Hello doctor, I have a history of melanoma and now I have a mole. I am not aware how long this mole has been here on my arm. But it just really stands out and makes me nervous. Does this mole look concerning? It has a small hair that is growing in it. Previously, melanoma was removed from my left h...  Read Full »
Dr. Sandeep Golla

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I saw your pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your concern may be acquired compound nevus or melanocytic nevi with dysplastic changes since there is no clear margin. It is advisable to have a histopathological examination of the mole for confirma...  Read Full »

I have a mole on my belly which I worry could be a melanoma. Does it appear so?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 33-year-old male. I have a mole on my belly which is darker than the others (almost black in the middle) and I wonder if it is still just a regular (or atypical) mole and nothing to worry about or if it could be something worse (melanoma). I am attaching three images in ...  Read Full »
Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have reviewed the clinical photographs attached to the query (attachment removed to protect patient identity).  It is a melanocytic nevus which is basically tan brown macules with increased melanocytic activity. One should always look for the foll...  Read Full »

Is it safe to get a mole removed?
Query: Hi doctor, I have a small, flat mole on my nose bridge. How can I remove it? Please recommend the best method with your professional advice.  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen your query and concern. With your descriptions, since mole is flat means you have a superficial melanocytic nevus. If you want to get it removed, then I would recommend you shave excision under local anesthesia by a dermatologist. This procedure has very goo...  Read Full »

I have a mole that is itchy and has bled. Is it skin cancer?
Query: Hello doctor, I am hoping you can advise me. I have a mole on my chest that has been changing for about a month now. It is itchy at times and it has bled (small spots) as I am sure from the itching. I am worried it is skin cancer. Can you help?  Read Full »
Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From your description and given picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it seems you are having a mole or melanocytic nevus. They are considered benign melanomas and nothing actively needs to be done for them. If the mole shows a sudden increase in...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Melanocytic Nevi? We have medical experts to help you right away.