Premolar Extraction

How long does it take to correct an open bite with braces?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a quite wide open bite. I am 24 years old and want to get them fixed with braces. The open bite is so big that I can thrust a pencil in my mouth with my teeth closed. I have attached a photo for your reference. Will it require surgery or can it be fixed with braces? How long will i...  Read Full »

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the picture you have attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The open bite can be corrected effectively with braces treatment. Surgery would not be a choice for this type of bite correction. The braces treatment will take approximately one y...  Read Full »

My front teeth was bent inward during ortho treatment is moving back now. Why?

Query: Hello doctor,I had two upper premolars removed during my ortho treatment and the front two teeth bent inward. The new doctor corrected it, but now the same thing is happening again. Why?  Read Full »

Dr. Varun Pratap Singh

Orthodontist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Removing upper premolars is a part of orthodontic treatment if space requirements make it mandatory. This is done to take back your forwardly placed front teeth. The doctor should maintain the inclinations of the front teeth while taking them back. Failure of which l...  Read Full »

Why is the second premolar paining?

Query: Hello doctor, I have pain in my left second premolar. The x-rays do not show anything, and it does not hurt if I tap on it or drink cold water. It seems to hurt near the root of the tooth, but only on one side, that is, the side facing the first molar. When I touch this side, I feel a short, sharp p...  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentist, Endodontist, Pedodontist, Periodontist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. By your description, it seems maybe your premolar might have a vertical fracture involving the nerves inside. This might be either due to a large filling, which may have caused more pressure on the remaining tooth structure or even biting on a very hard object or food...  Read Full »

How to correct teeth length with veneers?

Query: Hi doctor, My two front teeth are much longer than the adjacent ones. For braces, I will have to remove four teeth, which I am not in favor and grinding will remove much of enamel layer. I have heard about porcelain veneers and composite bonding techniques for altering the shape of teeth. What shoul...  Read Full »

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I saw the photograph you have attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and I found that your front two teeth look bigger, but it is not, though. They are slightly forward from the dental arch (protruding front). By the law of nature, all the four front te...  Read Full »

I was suggested to remove the premolars for my orthodontic treatment. Is this the only way?

Query: Hello doctor,Yesterday I consulted an orthodontist, and I was told, that to keep the changes that braces will acquire, they will have to pull out four of my healthy teeth, without including the wisdom teeth. Those are going to be four premorals, two on the upper jaw, and two on the bottom jaw. I hea...  Read Full »

Dr. Prerna Jain

Dentist, Orthodontist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can tell you about treatment in the broader sense. In case of the shorter lower jaw, either a surgical and orthodontic treatment is done (in case of poor esthetics, both jaws and teeth are corrected) or orthodontic correction of only teeth. Since your question is a...  Read Full »

I am on ortho treatment and my cheeks have become sunken. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, Four months before, I put tooth braces. My doctor extracted four of my teeth for putting teeth braces. They are two upper premolars and two lower premolars. My cheeks were chubby before tooth extraction and now it looks very sunken and hollow. Will I get the beauty of my cheek once this t...  Read Full »

Dr. Prerna Jain

Dentist, Orthodontist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The extraction of four premolars is a very common practice in orthodontics if your case requires so. The sunken cheeks are not because of extraction of teeth and the gaps. Maybe you have lost some weight as might not be eating enough of nutritious food due to braces. Also...  Read Full »

Will removing wisdom tooth create space for crowded teeth?

Query: Hello doctor, I have high canine teeth due to crowding in my upper jaw. Visually, it appears that space, where my canines should be, is too small for them. However, when I went to an orthodontist, she said that I would need to get my first premolars removed to make room. If I get my wisdom teeth out...  Read Full »

Dr. Prerna Jain

Dentist, Orthodontist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Generally, when space is less for the number and size of teeth present in the jaw, it is advised to remove premolar on each side in one or both the jaws. The reason being, it is more convenient to move the front teeth (smaller) into the space than to push all the back tee...  Read Full »