Sputum Microscopy

Should I go back to the doctor for my cough and wheezing?

Query: Hi doctor, I was coughing up dark yellow mucus with blood streaks. So, I went to my doctor and she prescribed Keflex. After about two days, I broke out a rash from head to toe. So, I went back and she put me on Roxithromycin and three days of Prednisolone. I am on my second day of new antibiotics an...  Read Full »

Dr. Arun R Kaushik

Microbiologist, Criticalcare Physician, General Practitioner, Geriatrician, Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The asthmatic attack might be due to the drug allergy, which you might have had. I suggest you to get a sputum culture to identify which antibiotic suits. Also, I suggest you to take nebulization with Asthalin which will ease the breathing. My suggestion for you to be und...  Read Full »

Is lung biopsy needed to diagnose bronchiectasis?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been referred to a pulmonologist based on the following CT scan report for chronic cough and fatigue. Mild cylindrical bronchiectasis to the lower lung fields with evidence of bronchial wall thickening and mild dilatation. Additionally, ill defined airspace opacities of the extre...  Read Full »

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your CT scan report is suggestive of cylindrical bronchiectasis with some infective foci. Usually, the diagnosis of bronchiectasis is made on the HRCT thorax (high-resolution computed tomography) and there is no need of any lung biopsy. Bronchiectasis is due to some ol...  Read Full »

Does Doxycycline affect the accuracy of sputum report?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 45 year old female. I am getting on and off cough. I have lost 5 kg in the last two years. My CT shows atypical changes and QuantiFERON TB test shows positive with a reading of 0.38. I am waiting to get my sputum test result. I am currently on Doxycycline 100 mg per day and this i...  Read Full »

Dr. Nageswara Rao

Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per your symptoms, pulmonary tuberculosis have to be ruled out. Weight loss of 5 kg in two years is not significant. But, on and off cough with breathlessness is significant. QuantiFERON TB is not a diagnosis of active TB, It shows latent TB. Your CT findings (attachme...  Read Full »

Am I suffering from pneumonia?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having fever for about a month now. So, I have done a master health checkup and the report shows raised PLBS 184, SGPT 121, LDL 112 and fatty liver. My chest x-ray PA view shows right lower zone soft tissue opacity. Because of the soft tissue opacity fever pack, thyroid profile, bloo...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on these reports, you are suffering from pneumonia. As your PPBS (postprandial blood sugar) is high, you need further evaluation and treatment. I would advise you to get a CT chest done. Also, get a sputum fungal stain and culture done. Check HbA1...  Read Full »

Please suggest treatment for chronic sputum production.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 25 year old man. It is about 4 years that I am experiencing chronic sputum production which I feel is originated from my nasopharyngeal or oropharyngeal region. It does not pain or itch and the quantity too is less. In the first year of its development it was mostly white in color ...  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiologist, Criticalcare Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com.  Read Full »

I am coughing from the past 14 days, do I need a chest x-ray?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having a persistent cough for 14 days. I feel something like phlegm, but I am not able to spit it out. I feel shortness of breath also. The doctor has diagnosed bronchitis, but I want to be sure about it. My doctor told me that there is no need for taking an x-ray, do you think t...  Read Full »

Dr. Aamir Mohd

Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician, Radiologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, most likely you have bronchitis. But you should do sputum microscopy. Please answer the following: What is your age? Do you smoke? If yes, how many packs a day and since when? Is a cough more at night and wakes you up from sleep? Any fever or a sore thro...  Read Full »

What is the reason for having cough for a long duration?

Query: Hi doctor, My partner is 53 years old. She is suffering from a severe cough for a few days. Though she has the problem for a long time, it always becomes fine after some days. But this time she is not getting relief. She visited a doctor, and several tests were done. Currently, she is taking Perifl...  Read Full »

Dr. Mashfika N Alam

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). These symptoms are caused due to the nodule present in the lungs. It could be benign and harmless. But at this age, every nodule must be observed if there are symptoms especially. The nodu...  Read Full »

What is the problem for having cough with white sputum?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a healthy person. I have a cough with white sputum production. I do not have a fever. I have done sputum culture. The result showed a presence of Pseudomonas. Do I need an antibiotic?  Read Full »

Dr. Mashfika N Alam

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If there is a presence of Pseudomonas, then there can be an infection. Since you have a productive cough, you may need to take antibiotics. Please repeat the sputum culture if possible. Also, get a chest X-ray and full blood count done. It could help you to identify the...  Read Full »

My cough is persisting in spite of antibiotics. What do you suggest?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been suffering from a cough since 15 days. There is phlegm as well. I tried using so many syrups, antibiotics and Levocetirizine with Montelukast. The X-ray and CBP (complete blood picture) are normal. But, the cough is still persisting and troubling me. What do you suggest?  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your post. You have a cough from two weeks along with expectoration. You have taken antibiotics and antiallergic medicines, but you have not mentioned the name of the antibiotic which you have taken. I would suggest a few things: Any person wit...  Read Full »

My wife is recovering from postpartum cardiomyopathy. How to take care of her?

Query: Hello doctor,Recently my wife survived after having an attack of postpartum cardiomyopathy. She is 26 and her EF was reduced to 20 % when she was admitted. She had an attack of repetitive convulsion and her lungs got filled with gastric juice. Now after remaining hospitalized for more than two weeks...  Read Full »

Dr. Amiya Kumar Chattopadhyay

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Regarding the diet restrictions, common salt intake should be within one teaspoon daily. Salt intake to be maintained strictly. Avoid strenuous activities. She should be on rest till she improves. It is very good that her EF (ejection fraction) improved to 55 %. That ...  Read Full »