Temporomandibular Dysfunction

What could cause pain in ears while moving the jaw?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had an earache for over two years. There is no pus or flaking and it is most noticeable when I move my jaw forward. Occasionally, it flares up and my jaw and teeth and whole right side of my face hurt. When I plug my nose and close my mouth and blow out to increase the pressure...  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The most probable cause for the symptoms is due to temporomandibular joint dysfunction (TMJ dysfunction). The TMJ is the joint which connects your jaw to the skull and helps open and close of mouth. It has several muscles attached to it which govern its opening and clo...  Read Full »

How would Invisalign help to correct my overbite?

Query: Hello doctor, I have an overbite that no one wants to treat. I have TMJD (jaw pain, crunching, grinding, and squeaking) for which I am getting physio for but I still have the issue of the overbite. My top front teeth completely overlap my bottom and I have issues with speaking and eating.  Read Full »

Dr. Mousam Chattopadhyay

Dentist, Endodontist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your query and the attached image (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Treating overbite is a simple procedure and very cost effective. Your local dentist will fabricate a bite plate that you need to keep on wearing as long as possible like ...  Read Full »

Will sleep apnea cause temporomandibular disorders?

Query: Hello doctor, After TMJ problem, I am not able to sleep due to sleep apnea. I also have breathlessness after jaw lock.  Read Full »

Dr. Mousam Chattopadhyay

Dentist, Endodontist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your query. Sleep apnea is associated with chronic pain disorders, including jaw pain like TMD (temporomandibular disorders). If it hurts to open and close your mouth, you may have these conditions. Patients with sleep apnea are generally mouth breath...  Read Full »

Why do I have a high-pitched sound when I move the jaw up and down?

Query: I have symptoms of a high-pitched sound when I move my jaw up and down while eating, yawning and even when I turn my head sideways to the affected side as well as grinding the teeth. I also have fullness/pressure in the ear when the jaw is motionless. I have now had these symptoms for more than 6 mo...  Read Full »

Dr. Abhinav Raj Gupta

Orthodontist, Dentist

Answer: Hi, yes your symptoms of TMJ clicking will disappear with a proper treatment plan so don't worry its great that you have seen stomatologist and got advised for night guard, go for it or I will suggest for acrylic repositioning splint. and after this if you don't get relief go for orthodontic treatm...  Read Full »

How to get rid of TMJ disorder?

Query: I have TMJ disorder and I was wondering if there was anything I could do about the left side TMJ getting inflamed besides just letting it be and relax, as it is pushing on the inside of my ear. I can feel/hear it making a crackling wet noise when I push my jaw forward, or a painful pushing feeling i...  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi! For a TMJ dysfunction you can consider the following advice Hot comprresses for 5 to 10 mins every 3 hrs for 1 week Tab mobizox (or its equivalent) one tab two times a day for 1 week. Please try to chew on the opposite side. Try to have a soft diet for next 2 weeks Do not open your mouth...  Read Full »

How to treat TMJ problem that has made smiling and opening the jaw painful?

Query: Hello doctor, I've been suffering from TMJ for a long time and I had left it untreated for long. Now the situation has gotten worse where it has become difficult for me to smile,open my jaw fully and also I feel extreme discomfort facially but I have consulted a dentist and he has blamed jaw clenc...  Read Full »

Dr. Pallavi Srivastava

Dentist, Maxillofacial Prosthodontist, Oral Implantologist, Periodontist

Answer: hey thnqq for query yes by using night guard u will surely get relief... take some medication also Rx tab. Flexon - MR twice a day tab. Neurobion forty once a day and do hot and cold fermentation also ( apply bearable hot pack (hand towel) on the affected side from outside of ur cheek tmj area ...  Read Full »

Is TMJ problem normal with Invisalign retainers?

Query: Hello doctor, I think I have had an adverse reaction to Invisalign retainers over the past few years. I think they have caused me jaw issues (chronic facial tension radiating to all areas in my face and associated with droopy eyelids and jaw clicking and aberrant jaw positions, etc., and I can move...  Read Full »

Dr. Wajid Hassan

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The symptoms described by you are rarely caused by Invisalign, it may cause TMJ (temporomandibular joint) problems in some people but for a shorter duration as it is not permanent. Actually allergy means that you have redness in the area and if you wear for some time...  Read Full »

How to stop teeth biting at night?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been biting the teeth at night for about five years. Is this harmful to my health?  Read Full »

Dr. Beryl Fredrick

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. Unfortunately yes, this is harmful to your dental and overall health. Bruxism (teeth grinding or night grinding) is not a condition but one of the main symptoms of TMJ disorder. This could be a temporomandibular joint (TMJ) issue. Tempo...  Read Full »

What could be the reason for teeth wear and jaw pain?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been having a little bit of jaw pain from time to time and also a dull pain in different teeth at different times. I suffer from bruxism and have a custom dental night guard. But for the last month, I am feeling pain as if I am grinding at night. The dental guard split in half ...  Read Full »

Dr. Beryl Fredrick

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. This could be a temporomandibular joint (TMJ) issue. Temporo Mandibular joint is the jaw joint between the upper jaw and the lower jaw and involves multiple and complex structures like a disc between two jaws, chewing muscles, and the joini...  Read Full »

Is ligament laxity a side effect of Sevoflurane?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 36 year old female. My height is 164 cm and weight is 48 kg. I was healthy with fine ligaments. Two years back, I had spine surgery for a herniated disk at the level of L5/S1. Soon after the operation, I got something like sleep myoclonus. The neurologist said that as benign, but ...  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Radiodiagnosis Physician, Radiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read through your query in detail. Please find my observations below. Myoclonus or muscle twitching is a known side effect of Sevoflurane use, and it is not a serious concern. Sevoflurane does not cause laxity of ligaments. Very common side effects of Sevofluran...  Read Full »