Animal Bite

Can rabies spread by sharing a drink?

Query: Hello doctor,My roommate was scratched very lightly by a stray cat the other day. Then a couple of days later, I shared a drink with her. Could I get rabies?  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Rabies does not get transmitted by drinking. It is transmitted by a direct bite or scratch from an infected animal. Rest assured that eating or drinking does not transmit rabies. For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq...  Read Full »

A puppy's teeth touched my finger without any wound or bleeding. Kindly advise.

Query: Hello doctor, A 45-day-old street puppy's teeth touched my finger yesterday but there was no bleeding. Puppy is also fine. What should I do? Please advise me.  Read Full »

Dr. Diwanshu

Pharmacologist, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Just tell me whether the puppy's teeth just touched your finger or you got wound also? In case, you just got a touch, then nothing to do but in case, you got a wound then keep the wound clean. Keep a check on the dog also. Meet nearby doctor in case you have a wound. A ...  Read Full »

What should I do if I am bitten by a stray cat?

Query: Hello doctor, I have just got bitten by a stray cat and accidentally it scratched. It is a very light scratch and a dot-like blood clot has occurred on my palm. I have already washed it and have applied Dettol on it. Is there any kind of risk? What should I do? Have I got any chances of infection...  Read Full »

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You should clean the wound no matter how small the skin has cuts. There can be many germs and bacteria in the mouths of animals. Cleaning will reduce the chance of infection. If the wound is small, you can clean it yourself. Just use ordinary tap water. Let it bleed fr...  Read Full »

A stray puppy bit me on hand. What can I do now?

Query: Hello doctor, A stray puppy bit me on my right-hand fingertip just little hard when I was feeding it (80 days back) but there was no bleed and scratch. And the puppy died after three days of biting me. Cause of that is adult dogs had bitten the puppy. I had three doses of vaccination six years ago...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The one which you mentioned six months ago, was it a full course of vaccination? Because, six years ago, you just had three doses. So if six months back was a complete vaccination course then you should receive the booster dosage of vaccination. Some amount of vacci...  Read Full »

I took antirabies vaccine only 13 days after a shrew mouse bite. Am I at risk?

Query: Hello doctor,I had taken two antirabies shots ten and three months back for a dog bite. A shrew that had entered the house bit me on my back two weeks back. There was no bleeding even on applying pressure on the area, but the next day I noticed a small clot on my back like the one we have after a sc...  Read Full »

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal

Dermatologist, Venereologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Cosmetologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Rabies vaccination should ideally be started on day 0. But, you have not developed any symptoms. So, it is not late to start vaccination now. You should complete the five-injection rabies schedule. Since it was a category-2 exposure, the immunoglobulin is not requ...  Read Full »

I am having inflammation on face after a dog bite. Do I need vaccination?

Query: Hello doctor,40 days back while I was walking on the road and unaware of a sleeping dog beside me I stepped on it and it had bitten me. After, reaching my home after 15 minutes I washed my leg and I have not found any blood wound but firing type feeling was there and later I met one physician doctor...  Read Full »

Dr. Tamas Das

Microbiologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. From your history, it seems like the dog just brushed against your leg. If so, then it is a category 1 wound and requires no vaccination other than local wound cleaning with soap and water. However, if there was a visible scratch (even without bleeding) then it is categ...  Read Full »

What precautions should be taken for dog bite?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been bitten by a dog which is regularly vaccinated. So, what precautions should I take? Can you please let me know the diet for food or something else, please.   Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have reviewed your query and here is my advise. You have been bitten by a dog, so tetanus toxoid and rabies vaccine can be taken for that to prevent tetanus and rabies. But as you said if you are sure that dog is fully immunized with rabies then no need to take the...  Read Full »

My brother has got a swelling in the snake bite area. Please advise.

Query: Hi doctor,My brother got a snake bite in his right-hand middle finger. He has taken three antivenom doses and was under observation for two days. After six days of snake bite and treating it from medication, he has got swelling in snake bite area (right-hand middle finger). He is facing anxiety and ...  Read Full »

Dr. Hafiz Muhammad Hassan Shoukat

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would suggest taking an advice from the doctor about getting steroids and anti-histamine. It may be a localized reaction to anti-venom or maybe sequelae of snake bite or another possibility. It may be an infection that can be controlled with antibiotics, make sure he ...  Read Full »

Is anti-rabies vaccine required for cut in finger by a baby mouse?

Query: Hello doctor,Yesterday night a baby mouse cut my wife in her index finger without any discharge of blood or any sign of cut except pain. Is anti-rabies vaccine required?  Read Full »

Dr. Aamir Mohd

Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. No, your wife does not need the anti-rabies vaccine. But you should see if your wife gets any of following symptoms within 10 days from the day of bite then she will need an antibiotic dose. Fever, vomiting, headache, any rash or swollen area or pain in the back or j...  Read Full »

Will scar revision work give me a virtually invisible scar?

Query: Hi doctor,I have been bitten by a dog three months ago. I have multiple scars but the worst one is above the upper lip. Unfortunately, I went to a dermatologist recommended by family and he insisted to apply Yag Laser at 55 days post-bite. I asked if it was not too soon but he said it was harmless a...  Read Full »

Dr. Pavan N Murdeshwar

Cosmetologist, General Surgeon, Plastic Surgeon

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all, sorry for the unfortunate events you are going through. I have seen your pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The first scar was definitely a small linear one which could have been corrected by few non-interventional methods than t...  Read Full »