Lupus

Can lupus result in extreme fatigue and episodes of unresponsiveness?

Query: Hi doctor,I have hypothyroidism, Hashimoto's disease, high blood pressure, and type 2 diabetes. I was diagnosed with microcytosis before few months. I also have fibromyalgia. I am extremely fatigued and I feel very weak. I am unable to tolerate the sun because I start to have rashes on my skin. They...  Read Full »

Dr. Nupoor Acharya

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You can have these symptoms due to fibromyalgia or hypothyroidism. You have photosensitivity with Raynaud's phenomenon and arthritis. These symptoms can also be seen in lupus or mixed connective tissue disease. As you had a neurological episode, you can have them due to...  Read Full »

What are the signs and symptoms of lupus?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been diagnosed with lupus. However, I am questioning the diagnosis. Initial presentation of ITP (platelet count under 10k) minor loss of kidney function. Underwent biopsy and reported to have glomerulonephritis prominent mesangial deposits. In addition, three false syphilis pos...  Read Full »

Dr. Rahul Kackar

Rheumatologist, Endocrinologist, Internal Medicine Physician, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Is your concern that it is SLE or not SLE only? The treatment is more important. It is an autoimmune process that has affected different organ systems. According to me, the concern should be how to halt the progress of the illness, for which knowing if it is purely S...  Read Full »

I have elevated SSA. Can the cause be fibromyalgia or lupus?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 36 year old mother and a veterinarian. I was recently diagnosed with lupus by a rheumatologist. The only abnormality in my blood work was elevated SSA and dsDNA autoantibodies with a speckled pattern. My CBC, UA, and the biochemical panel were normal. My symptoms included severe...  Read Full »

Dr. Srinivasa Chennareddy

Internal Medicine Physician, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you do not have any clinical symptoms of lupus, except positive antibodies, we do not label you as lupus. There is a criteria for lupus called SLICC criteria (Systemic Lupus International Collaborating Clinics). It is probably a fibromyalgia-like illness only, but do w...  Read Full »

Are joint pain, stiffness in the elbow and shoulders, and hair loss signs of lupus?

Query: Hello doctor,I am seeking a second opinion. I have symptoms of lupus and sarcoidosis. Both are in my immediate family. My blood test has some abnormalities but tested negative for lupus. I have joint pain in my wrist and knees, with stiffness in my hands, elbow, and shoulders. I am fatigued and unab...  Read Full »

Dr. Rahul Kackar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Since how long are you having these pains? How is your gut health? What is your level of stress? Do you have ANA, ANTI-DS DNA report? Have you tried HCQS (Hydroxychloroquine sulfate) or Sulfasalazine for these pains? With medication, you will require a proper dietar...  Read Full »

Kindly suggest the safe drugs for lupus during the third-trimester.

Query: Hello doctor, My wife is 7.5 months pregnant (third trimester). She has been diagnosed with lupus before conceiving. Now she is taking Deflacort 24 mg and taking the Injection Cardinex. She is continuing so. Is it safe to consume Deflacort 24 mg at this phase? She also has an allergy. What shall be...  Read Full »

Dr. Nupoor Acharya

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have not mentioned the symptoms of your wife. The treatment of lupus depends on the symptoms and severity of the disease. Some lupus medicines cannot be given during pregnancy. Medicines like Hydroxychloroquine, steroids, Azathioprine are relatively saf...  Read Full »

Previously positive ANA turned negative. Is it safe to plan pregnancy now?

Query: Hello doctor,My daughter had a little girl four years ago. About three months postpartum, she fell down a flight of stairs injuring her back. At the same time, she had a very bad cold. When her back continued to give her pain after seeing the orthopedist, she went to a neurologist. Her blood work sh...  Read Full »

Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, there have been cases where ANA once positive becomes negative towards the later part. Initially, it may have been induced by pregnancy or any infection but over course of time, it becomes negative. As for your friend, I would suggest we do ENA (extractable nucl...  Read Full »

Is an elevated level of dsDNA antibody a risk factor for lupus?

Query: Hi doctor, I have nerve pain, fasciculations and headaches. I am currently on Lisinopril 20, Amlodipine 5, Paxil 20 and Remeron 15. My blood report shows that I have dsDNA antibody.  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Anti-dsDNA positivity implies that it is probably lupus. I suppose you have positive ANA (Antinuclear antibody). Now, I need the following answers: 1. I need a detailed history of your symptoms. 2. Do you have any oral ulcers? 3. Do you have any photosensitive rash...  Read Full »

The biopsy of my skin rash showed interface dermatitis with mucin. Do I have lupus?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 43 year old female, and I have had itchy, red, and burning rashes. It all started as a few bumps on my right arm, above my eyebrow, right upper nose area, all over the jaw and chin area, right chest and upper back react badly to the sun, and it is getting worse. I have had a l...  Read Full »

Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The rashes that you are describing along with the biopsy findings can go in favor of a connective tissue disease. Although, I would like to see the reports in detail, but as you mentioned interface dermatitis, it goes more in favor of lupus over dermatomyositis. But, ...  Read Full »

I experience lupus butterfly rash and thinning of hair. What to do?

Query: Hello doctor, Last summer, I sat in the sun for a few hours tanning. Nothing to drink and I used two oils on me. My face and chest have been red ever since. After then, I donated my blood and they sent a letter saying about some blood cells. I had my appointment with a rheumatologist and got blood ...  Read Full »

Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your history and images. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your rash seems still very florid and the alopecia is setting in. I am not sure about the medications you are taking as it does not show up on the phone app, but you n...  Read Full »

What could be the red, itchy butterfly rash on face other than rosacea?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 39 years old. I have a very bad red, itchy, weeping, scaly butterfly rash on my face which my doctor says is Rosacea. But it has responded to no treatments except steroid cream so far. I also have excessive watering, itching, and swelling of my eyes (ocular rosacea). Not sure if th...  Read Full »

Dr. Gauri Kshirsagar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. From the photos (attachment removed to protect patient identity) it looks like rosacea. However, the possibility of lupus and allergies to sun exposure can not be ruled out. You should check out for lupus. Steroids are not given in rosacea, as initially, it may give a ...  Read Full »