Breast Milk

Related Terms: Breast Feeding, Importance Of Breastfeeding, Formula Feeding, Benefits Of Breastfeeding, Food For Baby, Baby Care, Lactation

My breast milk is not sufficient for my 33 days old son. Can I give him powder milk?
Query: Hi doctor, My second baby boy is 33 days old. I am breastfeeding him from birth, but now the breast milk is not sufficient for him. What should I do now? Shall I go for milk powders? Or is there any other way to increase breast milk production? Kindly advise.  Read Full »
Dr. Preeti Puranik
Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are two definite methods to ensure that the baby is getting adequate milk or not. They are: If the baby is gaining weight of 150 g or more per week, then the baby is getting sufficient milk. If the baby is passing urine more than 6 to 8 times a day (large amount), ...  Read Full »

What decides production of breast milk?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 29-year-old female. I have a 9 years old daughter. After two months of my delivery, my one breast produced more milk than other. But now I am planning for second child. My query is whether there will be normal or same production of milk after second delivery?  Read Full »
Dr. Jimesh H Mavani

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. This cannot be told. Breast milk production depends on many things like how much baby suck from it, how much development of breast tissue occurs under the hormonal influence during pregnancy, the nature of cell, how much these cells are sensitive to milk production s...  Read Full »

Does chickenpox spread through breast milk?
Query: Hi doctor, I am 31 years old and a mother of 7 months old baby. Recently, I have got infected with herpes zoster virus on my back. It is a small patch above my waist. Doctor told me to stop breastfeeding for a week. But, my baby is exclusively breastfed till now and not taking bottle feed after seve...  Read Full »
Dr. Deepak Patel
Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. If you have chickenpox or herpes zoster virus infection and you are breastfeeding, then your baby does not get infected with the chickenpox virus through your breast milk. However, if you still have blisters on your skin, then it is poss...  Read Full »

How to know whether your breast milk is sufficient for the baby?
Article Overview: Breast milk is a nature's gift to provide the entire nutrition required for a newborn. In this article, I have highlighted the importance of breastfeeding, a few breastfeeding tips and advise to breastfeeding mothers. I have also explained the ways to understand if the breast milk is sufficient for your baby.  Read Article »
Dr. Vijaykumar Mundeshi
Lactation Counselor

Breast milk is the nutrition which nature has provided and is packed with all that is required for your baby till 6 months of age. Importance of Breastfeeding: A new born healthy baby has to be started on exclusive breastfeeding as early as possible after birth and continued till 6 months of age ...  Read Article »

How can I increase my breast milk production?
Query: Hi doctor, I am having a 1-month-old baby. I am giving breast milk and formula milk to my baby due to insufficient breast milk. However, my breast milk was not too low. I used to provide formula feed for one or two feeds. Before three days back, I was sick, and so I could not breastfeed my baby for...  Read Full »
Dr. Sonal Prasad

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Breast milk secretion works on a demand-supply basis. The more you breastfeed, the more milk is produced. Here is what you can do to increase your breastmilk supply: Breastfeed or pump a lot. It creates more demand and thus increases the amount. Hot fomentation of t...  Read Full »

Kindly suggest some medicine to improve breast milk.
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 28 year old married female. My baby is 40 days old. I am unable to breastfeed her. Please suggest me some medicine to improve my breast milk.  Read Full »
Dr. Shagufta Parveen

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I suggest you Lactare tablet (herbal capsule) thrice a day for 15 days, which will help to increase breast milk. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent. You can also take garlic regularly as it is considered as the best home remed...  Read Full »

What is the reason for inadequate breast milk secretion?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 30 year old woman. I have a three months old baby. I am giving formula milk for my baby from the first month, because from the beginning I did not have adequate milk secretion. Also, I am breastfeeding three to four times a day in between. As I had cold and light fever I stopped br...  Read Full »
Dr. Anindya Das

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You really have a serious problem. Lactation usually depends on sucking reflex. As the baby sucks the nipple it produces a hormone called prolactin in the mother's body which is responsible for milk secretion and this forms a cycle. As you have stopped breastfeeding, your...  Read Full »

How to identify if my baby is drinking enough breast milk?
Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 2 weeks old and she is sleeping all day. I have to force her to breastfeed and she will drink less and sleep again. She is awake in the night and having a good amount of milk in the night. She makes on average five to six wet clothes. I am worried as she is sleeping 7 to 8 ...  Read Full »
Dr. Prashant Kumar Singh
Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query. I would say that what the other pediatricians have told you is true. This is normal with newborn babies till a few weeks. Yes, they tend to sleep a lot and you need not worry about the sleep. On an average, you have to breastfeed the bab...  Read Full »

How to make a 14 months old baby start eating after adenoid surgery?
Query: Hi doctor, The patient's adenoids were removed before five days. He was taken to the recovery room and was so cranky. His breathing was funny, so he was put on oxygen. In about 45 minutes he was able to breathe on his own, he coughs and get a lot. We bought grape juice, ice cream, and milk. He is m...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please feed him breastmilk. Encourage him to suck, and the feed needs to be started after about 4 hours of the procedure. Also, to relieve the pain give him painkiller syrup say about 5 mL of Paracetamol (125 mg per 5 mL) given thrice or four times will alleviate the ...  Read Full »

My 3.5 months old baby vomits after we feed him formula milk. Why?
Query: Hello doctor, Hope you are doing well. I want to ask a question about my 3.5 months old baby. I feed him both breast milk and formula milk. But whenever I feed him formula milk, after 20 to 30 minutes, he starts to cry a lot, becomes fussy, and vomits that milk.  After vomiting, he feels relaxed. ...  Read Full »
Dr. Deepak Patel
Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concerns. Breast milk is easier to digest, and as a result, there is no problem of abdomen pain or vomiting. The reasons of vomiting after formula milk could be the following: You are giving more than the appetite of the child. Since you are also ...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Breast Milk? We have medical experts to help you right away.