Hemolytic Disease

Could different blood group of a couple create problem in having a baby?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 28 years old. I am planning to get married to a girl who is known to me. We have a very good understanding. But, we have different blood group. Mine is B positive and she is AB negative. Since the blood group is a factor for having babies, do you think having a different blood gro...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Hematologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: You being Rh positive and she is Rh negative, if the baby is Rh positive with any blood group, your girlfriend will require Rh immunization during any failed or complete pregnancy. The condition is called as a ...  Read Full »

I got married to my relative. Should I worry about having the second baby?

Query: Hi doctor, I got married to my relative and we have the same blood group. My first baby is quite healthy and fine without any problem. Now, we are planning for the second baby. We did not check about Rh factor yet and we afraid that any problem might come in the second pregnancy. Should I worry a...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You and your husband are relatives, so in such situation prenatal or preconception counseling is beneficial to avoid the consanguineous disease transmission mainly autosomal recessive problem like thalassemia. If your blood group is Rh negative and if the fetus is Rh pos...  Read Full »

My fiance's blood group and mine are different. Will it create problems to our baby's health?

Query: Hi doctor, My blood group is AB+, and my fiance's blood group is AB-. Will different blood groups create problems in future, regarding baby's health or other issues?  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You and your fiance can marry without any problem. Do not worry regarding that. The only thing that has to be done is checking the baby's blood group. As your blood group is Rh negative, so if the baby's blood group is Rh positive then it might lead to Rh in...  Read Full »

During pregnancy, does kell antigens cause any permanent effect in babies?

Query: Hi doctor, My partner is pregnant with twins of 22 weeks. She has kell antigens in her blood received from a transfusion when my first son is born. I did a blood test last week, and I also have a kell group present in my blood. Do my babies are safe? What can be done to help them? Are there any per...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Kell blood group is a minor blood group system. ABO and Rh are called major blood group system. Kell antigen can be antigenic and can create a problem during a blood transfusion or else it may not create any problem. So there is no need for having a specific treatment. ...  Read Full »

What problems occur when a couple has different Rh factor?

Query: Hi doctor,My blood group is B positive. I am going to marry a person with B negative blood group. Is there any problem?  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. From history, I hope you are telling that you (male) is B positive and your fiance (female) is B negative.According to Rh grouping, a person can have Rh positive or Rh negative group. You both can marry and can produce a ...  Read Full »

Can two O positive blood group people get married?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 30 years old. I am planning to get married to a girl who is known to me. We have very good understanding. But, we have the same blood group that is O positive. Since blood group is a factor for having babies, do you think having same positive blood group could create problems for fut...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Hematologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: There are two major blood group systems and more than 400 minor blood group systems. The major blood group systems are ABO system and Rhesus system, which are important. In the ABO system, there is A, B, AB and O. While in Rh...  Read Full »

Fiancee and I have the same blood group. Will it affect our married life?

Query: Hello doctor, My fiancee and I have the same blood group. Will it affect our married life? I will be happy if you explain this to me.  Read Full »

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is no harm in marrying a girl with the same blood group as you. Everyone is born with a certain blood type that is either Rh positive or Rh negative. Rh-positive blood is more common than Rh-negative. There is no problem if you marry a partner with the same blo...  Read Full »

My son is G6PD deficient. What do you advice to cure his anemia?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is G6PD deficient. He is already 10 months old. We have been having CBC since the first month and the result is somehow close. In his latest result, just taken yesterday, RBC is 4.09 (unit:x10^12/L), hemoglobin is 112 (g/L), hematocrit is 0.33 (L/L) and WBC is 12.0 (x10^9/IL). Dif...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Do not try or stop medication on your own. It is advisable to visit his pediatrician or hematologist for an examination. Your child's hemoglobin level remains persistently low as per history. So, chronic hemolysis or intermittent hemolysis might be there. Clinical s...  Read Full »

How can I correct my pale look due to minor beta thalassemia?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 22-year-old female and I have a minor beta thalassemia (heterozygous) which is supposed to be asymptomatic but I am very pale. This makes me extremely insecure especially when people keep pointing it out. Every day I get at least two people asking me what is wrong with me and why ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. In thalassemia minor patient, Hb (hemoglobin) usually remains around 10-11 gm/dl. It is hemolytic anemia and so extramedullary erythropoiesis occurs in the bone marrow (attachment removed to protect patient identity). So, the mandible is also affected and become prom...  Read Full »

All my reports are normal except for bilirubin levels. Why?

Query: Hello doctor,Can you go through the test reports and suggest why the bilirubin is high?  Read Full »

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have been through the reports posted (attachment removed to protect patient identity), and it says there is a mild rise in the total bilirubin, predominantly indirect bilirubin. If the patient is asymptomatic, not to worry. Is there a history of icterus or jaundice ...  Read Full »

All the answers published in the forum are given by leading doctors, therapists and health experts.