Intraocular Pressure

Related Terms: Glaucoma, Glaucoma Risk Factors, Mri Of Brain, Headache, Eye Pressure, Glaucoma Symptoms, Visual Field Analysis

My intraocular pressure is 20 to 24 mmHg. Do I have glaucoma?
Query: Hi doctor, I am 39 years old. My ocular pressure has been measured three times within the last month and values vary from 20 to 24 mmHg. The field vision test is fine. OCT shows some damage to the RNFL. Do I have glaucoma? What treatment do you suggest?  Read Full »
Dr. Vaibhev Mittal
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. In my opinion, we can still keep you in the category of 'glaucoma suspect' rather than labeling you with the diagnosis of glaucoma. The most sensitive and specific test for glaucoma is the field test. If field test is normal, then we cannot label you as glaucoma p...  Read Full »

Increased intraocular pressure in both the eyes. Should I go for Laser Peripheral Iridotomy surgery(LPI)?
Query: Dear Doctor, I have abnormal pressure in my eyes. I believe it was 24 in one and 23 in the other. My doctor told me that he would not dilate my eyes because it would be dangerous and asked me to find someone to do Laser Peripheral Iridotomy surgery(LPI). I am 23 years old with no medical conditions....  Read Full »
Dr. Dada Peer K
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query at icliniq.com.It seems from the history that you are having increased intraocular pressure in both the eyes, the normal is 14-16 mmHg and you are having 24 and 23 mmHg. Hence we should suspect glaucoma. In one of the sub type of glaucoma called as narrow angle g...  Read Full »

Glaucoma - an Overview of Causes, Types and Treatment
Article Overview: Most people know glaucoma as a disease associated with high intraocular pressure that is pressure in the eye. I have explained in detail about glaucoma, its causes, types, symptoms, investigations and treatment in detail in this article.  Read Article »
Dr. David J Mathew
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Glaucoma is an optic neuropathy, which is a disease of the optic nerve that generally progresses over time. The optic nerve connects the eye to the brain. The optic nerve damage due to glaucoma is evident in the optic nerve head, the place where the optic nerve is connected to the back of the eye. D ...  Read Article »

My father has a constant pain in head after eye surgery. Please give your expert advice.
Query: Hi doctor, My father, who is 53 years old, is suffering from diabetic retinopathy and has undergone vitreoretinal surgery. After the surgery, his eye (right) responded well. But now, there is a constant pain in his head. The doctors said that there is some pressure in the eye, which increases and re...  Read Full »
Dr. Vaibhev Mittal
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The eye has got pressure known as intraocular pressure (IOP) just like your blood pressure. The normal eye pressure range is 10 to 21 mmHg. Beyond this pressure, the neurons present in the optic nerve (a nerve that connects eye to the brain) starts damaging leading to...  Read Full »

Is it necessary to use four eye drops to control eye pressure?
Query: Hi doctor, Four eye drops are used in combination to control eye pressure in case of glaucoma. They are Dorzolamide, Timolol, Brimonidine and Xalatan. In what sequence with how much gap should they be given to control eye pressure? Also for controlling afternoon pressure, either Dorzolamide or Brimo...  Read Full »
Dr. Shikha
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is necessary to use more than one drop when intraocular pressure is not controlled by a single drug. Every drug you mentioned has a different mechanism of action. It is good till IOP is controlled with medical management. Each drug is having different mechanism and ...  Read Full »

What can be done to reduce myopia?
Query: Hello doctor, I have myopia problem, but day by day it is increasing. What should I do to reduce it?  Read Full »
Dr. Manish Mahabir
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Unfortunately, there is no proven treatment available for this condition. People have tried various treatments like intraocular pressure reducing drops, or atropine in children. It is a good practice to get your refraction done six-monthly as using improper glasses is a...  Read Full »

Will masturbating on next day of laser eye surgery cause any side-effect?
Query: Hello doctor, My brother had an eye trauma. So, he had laser surgery for retina after two months of trauma. But he masturbated the next day of laser surgery (after 19 hours). Will that cause any problem to his retina or retinal nerve? Will it increase intraocular pressure? Please give a detailed an...  Read Full »
Dr. Vaibhev Mittal
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Masturbation will not have any adverse effect on laser treatment of retina or retina. There may be a minimal increase of intraocular pressure with masturbation but that must be non-significant. Kindly share the file to guide you better.  Read Full »

Why is there pain in eye with mild pressure?
Query: Hello doctor, I have eye pain in left side eye, minor or weird feel in the left side or have mild pressure on side of the eye. It is nearly there for the past four days. It is very awkward. Please help. Is it a sign of concern or anything else?  Read Full »
Dr. Asif Manzoor
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are different causes of mild pain in the eye. It may be due to some foreign body or decrease to increased intraocular pressure in the eye. Some times people with sinusitis feel heaviness in the back of the eye. As your vision is same there is no emergency but if t...  Read Full »

My eye pressure is fluctuating between 22 to 28. Do I need implant surgery?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a female of 62 years age. I was operated for cataract five months back for both the eyes. As my cataract was only 20 %, but eye pressure was 22. My OCT was done, which showed no damage to nerves. My perimeter too is clear. No family history of glaucoma. I was put on various drops...  Read Full »
Dr. Rahul Vaswani
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is a practice that if perimetry is normal, one waits to start any antiglaucoma medication. The protocol is to graph your IOP (intraocular pressure) for 24 hours or IOP at different times of day repeatedly for a week, then one can decide if you have glaucoma or if you...  Read Full »

Shall I go ahead with laser capsulotomy for PCO eye?
Query: Hi doctor, Nine years ago, I have had phacoemulsification and IOL implant on my left eye. Post surgery, I developed acute steroid induced ocular hypertension, which was resolved with IV drug treatment. Fast forward, I developed open angle glaucoma in both eyes and I am undergoing trabeculectomy for ...  Read Full »
Dr. David J Mathew
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thank you for the detailed description of your diagnosis. From what you have described, you had undergone LASIK in the right eye, which has an uncontrolled intraocular pressure (IOP) on medical treatment. For this you plan for a combined trabeculectomy and cataract surger...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Intraocular Pressure? We have medical experts to help you right away.