Ischemic Heart Disease

Related Terms: ECG, Coronary Artery Disease, Echocardiogram, Diabetes, High Blood Pressure, Angiography, Angioplasty

Are angiography and stent good for ischemic heart disease?
Query: Hi doctor,My mother got a sudden heart pain. I took her to the hospital. After ECG And further processing, we came to know that she got ischemic heart disease and her two valves of the heart are closed. She has diabetes and blood pressure problems due to which atherosclerosis occurred three days ago...  Read Full »
Dr. Vivek Pillai

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. An angiogram has to be done in your mother's case to know the extent of the blocks. Also, since she has blocked valves as you said, open heart surgery and valve replacement will be an option for her rather than stenting. In terms of diet to prevent heart disease, it is ...  Read Full »

Is the treatment prescribed for chronic ischemic heart disease correct?
Query: Hello doctor,I would like to ask you for a second opinion on the treatment prescribed for my 53-year-old mother by a cardiologist. She was diagnosed with chronic ischemic heart disease following a routine ECG which I would like to send you, and the blood tests indicated a cholesterol of 280. The sym...  Read Full »
Dr. Ilir Sharka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I reviewed the therapy prescribed by the doctor and I agree with it. It contains: a blood thinner (Aspirin and Clopidogrel) to help prevent blood clots in the coronary arteries, a beta blocker to lower the heart rate, a nitrate to help increase the blood flow in...  Read Full »

Heart Healthy Foods
Article Overview: There are millions of people across the globe who suffer from various heart ailments like atherosclerosis, ischemic heart disease, myocardial infarction, coronary heart disease, and stroke. According to the American Public Health Association, a majority of the heart ailments are caused due to a faulty diet and lifestyle pattern owing to today’s sedentary lifestyle. People are so busy and stressful these days that they do not get enough time to exercise and even prepare a healthy meal and end up consuming junk bought from outside which is very palatable and sadly hazardous to health too.  Read Article »
Dr. Krystel Quadros
Dietician

Here are some of the reasons listed for the causes of various heart diseases. Consumption of Foods High in Bad Cholesterol Bad cholesterol is one which is rich in saturated fats and contains trans fat. Sources of trans fat include butter, ghee, margarine, lard, milk solids, etc. Trans fat is found ...  Read Article »

What causes mood swings and feeling of depression?
Query: Hello doctor,I would appreciate if you can help me out. I am taking Propranolol 120 mg. I restarted after a short period of stopping it without the doctor's advice which was wrong of me could be just the side effects cause I feel low-high, low-high, basically, my mood keeps changing. What causes moo...  Read Full »
Dr. Prakashkumar P.bhatt

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Propranolol is given as cardioprotective drug or in high blood pressure. In ischemic heart disease also it can be prescribed. But it is not related to mood swings. You are having mood elevations as well as depression. So, suggestive of some form of psychiatric disord...  Read Full »

I have a discomfort under my sternum when I walk up a slope. What do you suggest?
Query: Hello doctor,I have a very localized discomfort under my sternum when I exercise. Generally, it does not occur with just walking on level ground but on even a gentle slope (incline) I begin to notice it. I have had an echocardiogram. The cardiologist recommended an angiogram and possibly an angiopla...  Read Full »
Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have reviewed your health query and have understood you may be having what is called ischemic heart disease. In this disease, the vessels supplying blood to the heart muscles itself, get clogged due to any reason. When there is the partial blockage (incomplete bloc...  Read Full »

Why am I having a severe headache after taking Monit GTN?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 57-year-old man. I had an angioplasty a year ago and had one stent placed. After the treatment, the following medicines were prescribed (listed below). After having the medicines, I am having a severe headache. Please suggest if the medicines prescribed has any role in...  Read Full »
Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The drug Monit GTN 2.6 mg (Nitroglycerin and Glyceryl Trinitrate) which you are using for ischemic heart disease causes vasodilatation and gives a severe headache. The starting of this may give rise to more problems as compared to after few months. You may nee...  Read Full »

I get red eyes, headache, and chest pain because of cigarette smoke. Please advice.
Query: Hello doctor, Actually, I am afraid of the high sensitiveness of my nose. My head hurts, eyes become red, have difficulty in breathing, pain in the chest. All these problems I get because of only cigarette smoke. I get a problem if anyone smokes at 5 to 10 m distance. So, please give me good advice...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Do not neglect this condition. Smoking can lead to a hazardous effect on respiratory as well as the cardiac system like COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease), emphysema, chronic bronchitis, ischemic heart disease, etc. So the following work-up has to be done: ...  Read Full »

I had a cardiac MRI for chest pain. Please interpret it.
Query: Hello doctor, I had a cardiac MRI done and wanted to see if you can interpret it for me. I am worried.  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. We are here to help you. I evaluated your report (attachment removed to protect patient identity), and it looks normal to me. Your report does not signify the presence of any ischemic heart diseases to you. It means your cardiac functions are good as per the report. No...  Read Full »

How to reduce the increased lipoprotein level?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 42-year-old female. I am not taking any medications till now. Recently, I did my yearly medical tests and saw my LP(a) at 54.3 mg/dL. Please suggest.  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Usually, LP(a) level should be less than 30 mg /dL. But, you have an increased level. High level of LP(a) signifies the increased risk for atherosclerosis of vessel and heart disease like ischemic heart disease. The doctor usually prescribes this test when there is a hi...  Read Full »

Are my symptoms due to alcohol neuropathy or a back injury?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 31 years old, who weighs 160 lbs and 5.10 feet tall. I drink alcohol on and off since I was 18 years old. Once I got back from deployment, I drank pretty hard with friends. I would say 3 to 8 beers every other night and then 12 to 16 on weekends. I quit drinking cold turkey a mo...  Read Full »
Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. After quitting alcohol, many patients get alcohol withdrawal symptoms, but that usually develops within a week of quitting alcohol. Chest tightness and racing heart can be because of some cardiac problem like rhythm disturbance or ischemic heart disease, or it can a...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Ischemic Heart Disease? We have medical experts to help you right away.