Sickle Cell Disease

Sickle Cell Disease - Screening and Marital Decisions

Article Overview: This article attempts to elaborate the situation of premarital couples who are concerned about their hemoglobin electrophoresis to predict their baby's genotypes with respect to the sickle cell disease. I picked this particular topic because a friend recently asked me what it meant for himself and his fiance to have sickle cell genotypes? On this article, I attempt to raise some clear points to address this issue and help patients reach an informed decision making, which will go a long way to help both their relationships and prevent giving birth to defective babies. Read Article »

Dr. Nsah Bernard

Hematologist

Most couples during regular premarital consultations are concerned and anxious about sickle cell issue and often worried as to what the results mean, their implications on their relationship and especially their future babies. In premarital consultations, there are several other worrisome things to ... Read Article »

Does sickle cell disease affect life expectancy?

Query: Hello doctor, My fiance got sickle cell SD. He is 27 and does not suffer from anything else. He takes medication and changes blood every 4 to 6 months. My question is does it affect his life expectancy?  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Usually, in sickle cell anemia, blood transfusion is not needed. The prognosis depends on the severity of sickle cell. Dehydration, infection is a usual precipitant for sickle cell anemia. So it is better to avoid them and whenever having such incident, consult a doc...  Read Full »

I am planning to marry my cousin. Will it affect my baby with genetic issue?

Query: Hello doctor, I am planning to marry my own cousin (my mother's own brother's child). Is there any precautions to avoid genetic problems for my baby or do we need to take any medication or treatment for a child. Please suggest with a better solution.  Read Full »

Dr. Uzma Arqam

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It would be better if you would send me the background of your question. Any specific family history like thyroid, diabetes or any congenital anomalies, thalassemia, sickle cell disease or any other family history, then it needs precautions and even investigations. The ...  Read Full »

Is it rare to see sickle cell anemia and beta thalassemia together?

Query: Hi doctor, My friend is 26 years old. He has sickle cell anemia and thalassemia together. His recent spleen health was good and the proportion of blood and iron was moderate. He does not need to increase the blood. Is it rare to see these two together? What is the average life expectancy of these p...  Read Full »

Dr. Veerendra Patil

Hematologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per your description, your friend seems to be having sickle beta thalassemia. It is common to see both these diseases together in communities where both the diseases are prevailing. Actually, the severity of sickle cell disease comes down by elevation of HbF (fetal ...  Read Full »

Bilirubin is high but other liver functions are normal. Should I worry?

Query: Hello doctor, I did blood tests and attached are the reports. Are they alright or do I need to investigate further?  Read Full »

Dr. Smrita Singh

Hematologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your test results (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and the only abnormality is high direct bilirubin. Higher than normal levels of direct bilirubin in your blood may indicate your liver is not clearing bilirubin properly. The most...  Read Full »

Please suggest the future prognosis of a child with abnormal hemoglobin pattern.

Query: Hi doctor, My friend is going to adopt a 6 months old female child. Certain routine tests were performed on the child. I have attached the reports for your reference. The Hb electrophoresis for thalassemia screening is showing an abnormal hemoglobin pattern. The treating pediatrician is not sure abo...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Hematologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query and attached report (attachment removed to protect patient identity), my opinion is as follows: Looking at the report of HbD trait (hemoglobin D), the prognosis is excellent. The child will be very rarely transfusion dependent and mostly asymptomatic. ...  Read Full »

We are not sure about my friend's diagnosis. Kindly help.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a general practitioner. I would like to consult with you regarding my friend, who has a normochromic normocytic anemia. His hemoglobin is currently 7.5. His diagnosis is not clear. I have all his laboratory data and bone marrow biopsy as well as aspiration if you want. He used to tak...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. One thing for sure is that he is having periodic hemolysis with adequate bone marrow response and he has a severe vitamin B12 deficiency. His corrected RPI (reticulocyte production index) is 2.7%, which means that his bone marrow is responding to the anemia appropriat...  Read Full »

Please suggest treatment for inguinal lymphadenopathy.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 55 year old male. I am suffering from inguinal lymphadenopathy. 2 years ago I have this on right side and now on left side. There is a square shallow knot present on the right side now. I have stiffness and rigidity especially in the left arm and occasional limited movements. Also...  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I assure you not to worry as all things may get settled with proper care and follow-up.  Read Full »

What does my hemoglobin variant analysis test indicate?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 38 year old male. My height is 5'3", and I weigh 69 kg. Recently, I had a health checkup. Please check the attached reports and advise me if any treatment is required. The hemoglobin variant analysis test is showing hemoglobin A 68.6 and hemoglobin S 29.6. Please let me know wh...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Hematologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query and attached reports, my opinion is as follows: (attachment removed to protect patient identity) Increased HbS with reduced HbA at this age suggests possible sickle cell trait disease. Most important evaluation is the possibility of the transfer of ...  Read Full »

Why do I have burning irritation in the middle portion of the penis after masturbation?

Query: Hi doctor, I am an 18-year-old male. For the past four years, I have burning irritation in the middle portion of my penis after masturbation. The irritation gets relieved to some extent after I urinate. Please help me.  Read Full »

Dr. K V Anand

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Penile pain occurs due to infections or inflammation of the bladder or prostate. Trauma, persistent erection (priapism), cancers, and Peyronie's disease (the development of scar tissue within the penis) are the other causes. Sickle cell anemia may cause priapism due to ...  Read Full »

All the answers published in the forum are given by leading doctors, therapists and health experts.

Ask a Specialist Now

Get Expert advice/consultation in 3 steps
1
Describe your health issue
2
Upload documents
3
Pay consultation fee