Vaginal Tear

A vaginal tear causes a wound in the tissues of the vagina. It is often caused due to damage during sex. It can also occur due to putting a foreign object into the vagina. The other causes are thinning of the vagina due to age and laceration due to surgery. It takes up to two weeks to get healed. If the wound requires stitches, then it takes up to six weeks.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

I Have A Swollen Labia After Protected Intercourse. What Should I Do?

Query: Hello doctor,I had sexual intercourse last night with protection. Immediately after, I went to take a shower and I see that my left labia majora is swollen but painless. It is kind of weird to walk lie down or sit. It was only my second time having sex. What should I do? Is this a dangerous situatio...  Read Full »

Dr. Balakrishnan R

Answer: Hello, Welcome to How are you doing? I do not see any reason for you to worry. The possibilities for this swelling are:You could be allergic to the latex material of the condom. So, due to the friction, the local skin is showing a reaction. Maybe, the other labia is also slightly swolle...  Read Full »

I feel like I have a tear in my vagina after using the dildo and itching in the vagina. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I live in a small town, and recently our water has been tested as unsafe and has a lightish brown color. I have noticed this is affecting my skin and hair and making the hair rough. I think it also caused an infection in my vagina, even though I am not sure. Four days ago, I used a dil...  Read Full »

Dr. Uzma Arqam

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I have gone through your history and understand your concerns. I think it is a pelvic infection, so it is better to check which particular organism caused it. I advise you: To do a vaginal swab to test in the laboratory. Have a sitz bath, and sit in warm water ...  Read Full »

Some doctors say that I have lichen sclerosus, and some say I do not. What do I do?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been having some vaginal problems for the past five months, it started with a tiny tear at the bottom of the opening after sex, and it would recur every time by doing sex. I waited for a month, and it progressed into redness and inflammation around the opening and a sore vulva. It ...  Read Full »

Dr. Uzma Arqam

Answer: Hi, Welcome to First, be positive, and you will surely get rid of this issue soon. I have also seen your sent pictures (attachment removed for patient's identity protection). You have been on Tetracycline (an antibiotic that covers many infections) for acne. I am scared if you cont...  Read Full »

After my first intercourse, I experienced a tear in my vaginal walls. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 24-year-old female, and I had my first intercourse five months back. My vaginal wall was torn during intercourse, and I got stitches for it. I want to know the reason for my vaginal tear. Kindly give your suggestions. Thank you.  Read Full »

Dr. Varunbabu Aucha

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I understand your concern. A vaginal tear during sex can happen to anyone, because the skin around the vagina, vaginal walls, and the inside of the labia are sensitive. Having intercourse without sufficient lubrication can cause vaginal tears due to friction, as the sk...  Read Full »

Why do I have pain at a particular spot in my vagina during sex?

Query: Hello doctor, Whenever my fiance has been having sex recently (the past few days) it has been painful. I can feel a certain spot on the right inside of my vagina that when he hits it while going in feels like a knife stabbing me in that spot. After he is fully in and going, it does not hurt. It is ...  Read Full »

Dr. Eeshani Dutta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to You seem to have Progesterone implant. There may be a slight change in the mucus quality due to these hormones, rendering it thicker, hence less lubricating. There may be a small crack or tear (due to sexual activity) due to inadequate lubrication. In my view, you should...  Read Full »

Why am I having frequent painful urination after scratching myself while using a tampon?

Query: Hello doctor, Yesterday I scratched¬†myself, while I was using a tampon. Now I have a pressing urge to use the bathroom every 10 minutes. Every time only a little pee comes out, it stings a lot and has a bit of blood in it. Is this a vaginal scratch or a yeast infection? Should I see my doctor? I fe...  Read Full »

Dr. Balakrishnan R

Answer: Hi, Welcome to The pain could be due to loss of thin lining of the vagina or infected tampon or urinary tract infection. All I can advise is until you recover, stop using tampons and avoid sexual intercourse if you are sexually active. Have a routine urine test for any infect...  Read Full »

Why do I have vaginal discharge after three months of delivery?

Query: Hello doctor, Three months ago, I had a forceps delivery. Now, I am experiencing heavy vaginal discharge. I guess that comes from below my clitoris. I can see mucus like discharge in and around clitoris. When I sit, I feel a gush below clitoris. My doctor said there is no problem and I am normal. Bu...  Read Full »

Dr. Radhakrishnan Nair Bhaskaran

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Do you have pain while passing urine or in the lower abdomen? If pus or yellowish discharge per vagina, then you need to consult a gynecologist and get a speculum examination. If necessary, then get an ultrasound scan. Culture and sensitivity of the discharge will confirm...  Read Full »

What are the causes of severe bleeding after sex?

Query: Hello doctor, I recently had intercourse, and there was quite a lot of bleeding. The next day it stung quite a bit, and when I urinated, it was painful to sit down. I inspected my vulva with a mirror and found a tear or rip at the base of my vulva. I searched, and I think it is at the posterior fou...  Read Full »

Dr. R. Rahul

Answer: Hi, Welcome to According to the history given by you, apart from a vaginal tear, the following reasons can also cause similar symptoms: 1. Firstly, women can bleed post-sex if intercourse is done soon after the periods, but this does not cause pain. 2. Secondly, virgin girls can ble...  Read Full »

Why do I have vaginal tears after sex?

Query: Hello doctor, I had rough sex recently and it caused a tear in my vagina. When I use a mirror to examine myself I can see some of the cuts. It is near the entrance of my vaginal canal but not inside, positioned more towards my perineum. It has been healing for two days now and still really hurts. I...  Read Full »

Dr. Eeshani Dutta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Small superficial tears generally heal fast. Continue taking sitz bath with Betadine drops, Ibuprofen for pain but instead of Vaseline, apply some antiseptic ointment. Vaseline prevents raw ends to meet. Medical support is required, only if you develop pus, odor, discha...  Read Full »

Why do I get vaginal tear everytime while having sex?

Query: Hello doctor, Everytime I have sex I get a vaginal tear. I did not have sex or wear a tampon for 10 weeks to let it heal. I had sex again last night and it tore again. I do not have an issue with lubrication, so I am not sure what to do.  Read Full »

Dr. Nadia Khan

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Vaginal tears after sex are mainly dependent on several causes like vaginal dryness, chronic skin conditions such as eczema, psoriasis or lichen planus, etc., and sometimes it may also be caused by the use of recreational medicine like Viagara by the partner. Vaginal t...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.