Fracture Healing

Can a calcaneus fracture be treated with casting alone?

Query: Hi doctor, My 72 years old dad slipped while getting down from the top berth of a train, and he hurt his foot. We took him to a hospital and got an x-ray done. He was diagnosed with calcaneus fracture. The doctor has put him in a temporary cast, and he has advised reviewing after five days. Will thi...  Read Full »

Dr. Atul Prakash

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The x-rays (attachment removed to protect patient identity) shows a non-displaced fracture of the calcaneum, and it can be treated in a plaster slab till the swelling goes down. Then a cast for four weeks. He can bear weight on that foot as pain allows, after three w...  Read Full »

I broke the tip of the fibula during an ankle sprain. Will it get healed?

Query: Hello doctor, I broke the tip of the fibula during an ankle sprain. The broken part is bean shaped. Will it heal properly? Will it cause any problem to me? I am on bed rest since ten days with a plaster on my ankle joint.  Read Full »

Dr. Atul Prakash

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the x-ray (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Yes, this is an avulsion fracture. This actually looks like an old fracture, as the margins are well rounded. But no doubt that you have a small fracture in the fibula, and that bean shaped bone an...  Read Full »

I wanted a second opinion to check if my fractured sacrum has fully healed.

Query: Hi doctor,Recently, I got a fracture in my sacrum. After taking rest for two months, the doctor advised me to do an MRI scan. The result showed that the stress fracture has got healed. But still, I have some numbness and pain in the area after doing exercise. My pain begins and ends very quickly. It...  Read Full »

Dr. Mohammed Shah Alam

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the attached image (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You do not have any fracture now. There is callus formation which suggests the healing process. To regain tensile strength, it takes some time for a month. I suggest you avoid sport...  Read Full »

I have a displaced clavicle fracture. Is surgery advisable after two weeks?

Query: Hi doctor, I have displaced clavicle fracture. My doctor told me that the surgery depends on my decision. It has been two weeks since I got the accident. Initially, I thought the fracture would heal itself. But, I do like to get surgery. Is it possible for me to have operation after a period of two ...  Read Full »

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Management of a clavicle fracture depends upon a few factors and surgery is indicated only if it falls in the category of indications. To tell you whether surgery is required or not, I will need your clinical pictures of the affected area and x-rays of the fractured cl...  Read Full »

I suffer from tibia fracture. How long will recovery take?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from a tibia fracture. How long does it take to recover? When will I start walking again?  Read Full »

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Since you have only mentioned that you sustained a fracture in your tibia, it is actually difficult to tell regarding the healing time. I would like to know the exact location of your fracture and management that is done in your case. I would also like to see your recent...  Read Full »

Based on the foot X-ray, is my foot fractured?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a fall from a stool almost eight to nine days ago. Since then, I had a foot swelling on the right leg. As I could not get an x-ray at that point of time, it was not diagnosed. I considered it as a sprain and used some natural oil massages and scrape bandage for a while. So, the swel...  Read Full »

Dr. Lokesh

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. This is a fracture of the base of 5th metatarsal bone (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It is not much displaced and so, it can be managed nonoperatively. You will either require a plaster cast or you can wear an Aircast boot. Apply ice packs for now two t...  Read Full »

Can you please give a second opinion on my daughter's clavicle fracture?

Query: Hi doctor, My 1 year old kid fell down and had clavicle - collarbone fracture. I have attached the images. On the image it looks like the bone is apart. Doctors told to leave it as such and it will be fine in a three week's time. But, I am looking for a second opinion as the bone is apart and I a...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the attached images (attachment removed to protect patient identity). My decision in such case is to operate and fix the bone as the gap is quite good. If not done, then it could lead to misalignment of the bone and this would be a great problem in the future...  Read Full »

When will my fracture heal?

Query: Hi doctor, Three months ago, I fractured my left clavicle. The bones were displaced and the doctors advised to heal it conservatively. They used sling and the figure of 8 brace for six weeks for the same. No retraction for alignment or surgery was performed. It has been three months and still I have...  Read Full »

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Conservative management of clavicle fracture followed by rehabilitation for complete shoulder movements may take up to three months of time under normal circumstances. Bump during fracture healing is a normal phenomenon and it is due to callus formation. It resolves a...  Read Full »

Please suggest the best-recommended treatment for femur fracture.

Query: Hi doctor, I had a double fracture in the femur following an accident. In 24 hours, I got intramedullary nail insertion. But, it did not heal even after seven months. I have started walking on leg before a month to induce self heal, but nothing happened. Either bone graft or plate and nails, which ...  Read Full »

Dr. Lokesh

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. This will not heal and so no point in waiting for it to heal. You need to get this intramedullary nail removed. The following treatment has to be done. Get the fracture site open, remove the fibrous tissue, get bleeding fracture surfaces and apply a plate and cerclage wi...  Read Full »

Is the surgery for fracture advisable for an 80-year-old?

Query: Hi doctor, My grandmother is 80 years old. Her left side is paralyzed. She is incapable of holding or carrying any weight or exert pressure by her left arm for more than 15 years. Now, she met with a fracture in the same hand. I have attached the x-ray of her left arm. If the fracture and dislocat...  Read Full »

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for posting your query along with the x-ray image (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Since the affected side is already paralyzed for more than 15 years, there is no point of going through extensive surgery of fixation of distal humerus in 80 year...  Read Full »