Fracture Healing

I have a displaced clavicle fracture. Is surgery advisable after two weeks?

Query: Hi doctor, I have displaced clavicle fracture. My doctor told me that the surgery depends on my decision. It has been two weeks since I got the accident. Initially, I thought the fracture would heal itself. But, I do like to get surgery. Is it possible for me to have operation after a period of two ...  Read Full »

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Management of a clavicle fracture depends upon a few factors and surgery is indicated only if it falls in the category of indications. To tell you whether surgery is required or not, I will need your clinical pictures of the affected area and x-rays of the fractured cl...  Read Full »

I suffer from tibia fracture. How long will recovery take?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from a tibia fracture. How long does it take to recover? When will I start walking again?  Read Full »

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Since you have only mentioned that you sustained a fracture in your tibia, it is actually difficult to tell regarding the healing time. I would like to know the exact location of your fracture and management that is done in your case. I would also like to see your recent...  Read Full »

Based on the foot X-ray, is my foot fractured?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a fall from a stool almost eight to nine days ago. Since then, I had a foot swelling on the right leg. As I could not get an x-ray at that point of time, it was not diagnosed. I considered it as a sprain and used some natural oil massages and scrape bandage for a while. So, the swel...  Read Full »

Dr. Lokesh

General Practitioner, Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Spine Health Specialist, Spine Surgeon, Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. This is a fracture of the base of 5th metatarsal bone (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It is not much displaced and so, it can be managed nonoperatively. You will either require a plaster cast or you can wear an Aircast boot. Apply ice packs for now two t...  Read Full »

Can you please give a second opinion on my daughter's clavicle fracture?

Query: Hi doctor, My 1 year old kid fell down and had clavicle - collarbone fracture. I have attached the images. On the image it looks like the bone is apart. Doctors told to leave it as such and it will be fine in a three week's time. But, I am looking for a second opinion as the bone is apart and I a...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the attached images (attachment removed to protect patient identity). My decision in such case is to operate and fix the bone as the gap is quite good. If not done, then it could lead to misalignment of the bone and this would be a great problem in the future...  Read Full »

When will my fracture heal?

Query: Hi doctor, Three months ago, I fractured my left clavicle. The bones were displaced and the doctors advised to heal it conservatively. They used sling and the figure of 8 brace for six weeks for the same. No retraction for alignment or surgery was performed. It has been three months and still I have...  Read Full »

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Conservative management of clavicle fracture followed by rehabilitation for complete shoulder movements may take up to three months of time under normal circumstances. Bump during fracture healing is a normal phenomenon and it is due to callus formation. It resolves a...  Read Full »

Does osteoporosis delay the healing process of a spine fracture?

Query: Hi doctor, I have osteoporosis and L3 spine fracture from it. I have had it for six weeks and the pain is minimal. But, when I walk or stand my whole back feels very strange and uncomfortable like a chronic ache. I also had two fractures before. I am flying out in two weeks. Do you think it will be ...  Read Full »

Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Physiotherapist, Spine Health Specialist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your message and understand your concern. After a vertebra fracture, generally it takes around two to three months to almost get back to normal. Considering your osteoporosis, it may take a little more time for you to get going. If possible, then you ...  Read Full »

I wanted a second opinion to check if my fractured sacrum has fully healed.

Query: I recently fractured my sacrum but after two months of rest and healing the doctor with the use of an mri scan said that the stress fracture has healed. However, I still have some numbness and light pain in the area after some exercise. The pain begins and ends very quickly and is very mild. It bega...  Read Full »

Dr. Mohammed Shah Alam

General Practitioner, Radiodiagnosis Physician

Answer: Hello, After careful evaluation of the provided image, it can be concluded that there is no presence of fracture also ongoing callus formation suggests the healing process (to regain the tensile strength, it will take time about over a month). It is suggested to avoid sports, heavy lifting, gym, an...  Read Full »

Please suggest the best-recommended treatment for femur fracture.

Query: Hi doctor, I had a double fracture in the femur following an accident. In 24 hours, I got intramedullary nail insertion. But, it did not heal even after seven months. I have started walking on leg before a month to induce self heal, but nothing happened. Either bone graft or plate and nails, which ...  Read Full »

Dr. Lokesh

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. This will not heal and so no point in waiting for it to heal. You need to get this intramedullary nail removed. The following treatment has to be done. Get the fracture site open, remove the fibrous tissue, get bleeding fracture surfaces and apply a plate and cerclage wi...  Read Full »

Is the surgery for fracture advisable for an 80-year-old?

Query: Hi doctor, My grandmother is 80 years old. Her left side is paralyzed. She is incapable of holding or carrying any weight or exert pressure by her left arm for more than 15 years. Now, she met with a fracture in the same hand. I have attached the x-ray of her left arm. If the fracture and dislocat...  Read Full »

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for posting your query along with the x-ray image (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Since the affected side is already paralyzed for more than 15 years, there is no point of going through extensive surgery of fixation of distal humerus in 80 year...  Read Full »

Please suggest treatment for a broken ankle.

Query: Hello doctor, My partner, who is 36 years old, broke his ankle (fibula break) before 7.5 weeks. I had been for his appointment where he had an x-ray and found that the bone has not knitted together. He smokes approximately 10 cigarettes per day. I have found through online research, that smoking hi...  Read Full »

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Fibula is involved in only 15% weight transmission in case of fracture. Weight transfer can be effectively taken up by the tibia. However, it forms the ankle joint proper and the fracture site. The fracture pattern are must to determine before giving any comments on the t...  Read Full »