HomeAnswersGeneral MedicinehypertensionMy blood pressure level is 140/90 mmHg. Should I take BP medication?

Will high blood pressure lead to chronic kidney disease?

Share

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

Dr. Vinodhini J.

Published At February 16, 2020
Reviewed AtDecember 13, 2023

Patient's Query

I am a 32-year-old male. One month back I checked my BP, it was 120/90 mmHg and today again I checked, it was 140/90 mmHg. Both were done in doctor's clinic. I did blood hemogram and cholesterol tests everything is normal. Two yrs back I did USG of full abdomen it was normal. In my family, my mom is having a high BP due to which she is a CKD patient and on dialysis. That is why I am a bit concerned whether this BP figure indicates that. Should I start the BP medication? I have changed my food habits. Kindly suggest whether I should start the medication so that it does not affect me in my later life as my mom.

Blood pressure is different at the same time by different machine or the instrument used previously. Now regarding the value of blood pressure, it is not mandatory that the value is fixed. It is different for different people of the same age. But it depends on weight, height, food habits, regular work out, etc. Take a low salt diet and avoid pickles.

Family history did not count but you can prevent it by changing the lifestyle i.e. regularity in food habits, exercise, etc. Avoid consuming alcohol. stop smoking if you do. Avoid or decrease the non-vegetarian diet as it may increase your cholesterol levels and leads to atherosclerosis, heart disease, kidney failure, etc. In nutshell, all organs may be affected.

Do not start blood pressure tablets as 120/90 and 140/90 mmHg does not make any big difference. The upper value is called systolic pressure which up to 150-160 is no worry and the lower value is called diastolic pressure in which 90 is the lower limit of high blood pressure.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Shah Sushma Kant
Dr. Shah Sushma Kant

HIV/AIDS specialist

Community Banner Mobile

iCliniq's FREE Newsletters

Expert-backed health and wellness information, delivered to your email.

Subscribe iCliniq
By clicking Subscribe, I agree to the iCliniq Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy and understand that I may opt out of iCliniq subscriptions at any time.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

General Medicine

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy