Hereditary Diseases

Related Terms: Genetic Inheritance, Coronary Artery Disease, Treatment Of Cancer, Cancer, Anxiety, Atorvastatin, Breast Cancer

Is heredomacular degeneration a genetic disease?
Query: Hello doctor, My husband is suffering from heredomacular degeneration. And I am pregnant and have one daughter. Will this problem also affect my unborn and daughter? Kindly suggest me. Someone told me it is a genetic disease.  Read Full »
Dr. Manjunath Natarajan
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Heredomacular degeneration refers to a broad collection of diseases which affect vision by causing problems in the macular region of the retina. Some of these diseases are known to have a hereditary predisposition. The pattern of the precise inheritance can be known...  Read Full »

Am I a carrier or patient of hereditary hemochromatosis?
Query: Hello doctor, I have received a blood test back that I am confused about. I have previously been diagnosed with hereditary hemochromatosis but a new physician recently did the genetic test and indicated that I only had one of the genes present and thus was a carrier and not a patient.The blood test...  Read Full »
Dr. Smrita Singh
Hematologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your blood test results (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your blood picture shows that the iron which is absorbed is not being utilized properly. Your transferrin saturation levels 56 % is high but not more than 62 %, which is in...  Read Full »

Is there any medicine to increase the size of my head?
Query: Hello doctor, I am an 18 year old girl, and I am 5.7 feet tall. My head circumference is 53 cm and only 6 inches long. As you probably understand from those facts that my head is extremely small. Compared to my body my head looks tiny. It also looks small when compared to other girls who are my age...  Read Full »
Dr. Swaraj S W
Endocrinologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have few questions for you as follows. At what age did you start getting your period? Have you ever had any hormonal evaluation? Do anyone in your family (mother, sister, or aunts) have a similar problem? Revert with more information to an endocrinologist online --&g...  Read Full »

Please advice whether being very emotional is related to psychiatric behavior.
Query: Hi doctor,I am a female, 29 years old, Height 5'6", weight around 54 kg. I am not undergoing any treatment but want to know that whether being very emotional is related to psychiatric behavior or is it hereditary in anyway as my mother was not a totally mad person but required to undergo some treatm...  Read Full »
Dr. Shreemit Maheshwari

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would refrain from using the term mad as we do not consider anybody mad. Psychiatric conditions are just like any other medical illness with proper treatment of each condition. It is common for family members of psychiatric patients to also have a psychiatric illne...  Read Full »

Do I have pseudocholinesterase deficiency based on the blood results?
Query: Hello doctor, I am hoping someone can tell me if I have pseudocholinesterase deficiency based on the blood results below? My father has it and found out the hard way after surgery. His sister also has it. The results from my blood test were: Cholinesterase, serum Result: 2228 L Reference range:...  Read Full »
Dr. Sukhdev Garg
Anesthesiologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You may have atypical pseudocholinesterase deficiency due to a heterozygous mutation which is hereditary. Pseudocholinesterase is an enzyme responsible for the metabolism of certain anesthetic drugs like succinylcholine and ester group of local anesthetics. Your Dib...  Read Full »

Is there a way to prevent little moles from coming all over my body?
Query: Hello doctor,I am an 18 year old girl and I am starting to notice little moles all over my body. Nothing unusual or worrisome. My mother and grandmother are also covered in moles so I guess I should have expected it. My question is, is there a way that I can prevent them from coming in or at least s...  Read Full »
Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I saw your clinical picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). These are not moles. These are called dermatosis papulosa nigra (DPN). It a genetic condition, runs in families. These have to be removed individually. Options are: Radiofrequency caut...  Read Full »

What is hereditary macular degeneration?
Query: Hello doctor, What is HMD (hereditary macular degeneration) and what is the maximum possible impact of this disease in future on a person? Can this disease make one blind?  Read Full »
Dr. Rahul Vaswani
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. HMD (hereditary macular degeneration) is a broad term given to a group of diseases that mainly affect the retina by deposition of some kind of material in between the retinal layers. These are genetic diseases. Though I have not seen anybody going completely blind ...  Read Full »

Is polydactyly hereditary?
Query: Hello doctor,My 55 years old father has six fingers in the right hand. He has an extra finger near the thumb. My sister and I have five fingers on each hand. What are the chances that my sister's child will have six fingers in a hand? Will they have any other abnormality? Could there be any other po...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for your query. Polydactyly (extra finger), is usually autosomal dominant but it could be autosomal recessive in some cases. Normally, half of the progeny from the affected parent has polydactyly. But in your case, since both the son and daughter did not have an ex...  Read Full »

Is stammering a genetic problem?
Query: Hello doctor, I am in love with a girl, and we got permission from both the family for our marriage. But, my parents are in some hesitation as my girlfriend's mother is stammering. My parents think that if we both get marriage and our child also could get this stammering problem. I want to know whet...  Read Full »
Dr. Prathap

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Stammering has got a multiple etiology and pathogenesis. A hereditary component in this has been extensively studied. A recent study was done including 12 children, and 5 generations of the family were investigated. The hereditary component is not the only thing that is i...  Read Full »

Heart disease runs in my family. How can I be proactive about it?
Query: Hello doctor,I am wondering if I should get checked or should worry about heart disease. It runs in my family. My grandma and uncle died of a massive heart attack at ages 58 and 37. Mom has issues and my cousin just had a quad done at 42. I would rather be proactive if I can. Advise?  Read Full »
Dr. Ganesh P Sapkal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is a history of premature coronary artery disease in your family, as you told about a history of heart attack in grandmother and uncle. But, you did not mention what exact issue your mother has. It is better to get evaluated for coronary artery disease with te...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Hereditary Diseases? We have medical experts to help you right away.