Joint Swelling

Related Terms: Joint Pain, Ice Pack, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Physiotherapy, Anti Inflammatory Medications, Mri, Hot Fomentation

Pain in my hands and wrists. What does my blood work suggest?
Query: Hi doctor, I am having pain in my hands and wrist and it started a few months ago. It is typically in the morning. I visited a doctor and she did blood tests. The result flagged in my blood tests was anti-Sm/RNP 2.8 and she has referred me to a rheumatologist, who cannot see me for the next two ...  Read Full »
Dr. Naval Mendiratta
Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Well, the antibody as such does not match your symptoms. It is an antibody for autoimmune disease more like SLE (systemic lupus erythematosus). Since it is positive, I would like to know if your ANA (antinuclear antibody) was positive as well, or only this came positive. ...  Read Full »

What is the treatment for knee swelling?
Query: Hi doctor, My father is 50 years old. He has swelling in left knee and some liquid is coming out of the knee. He consulted an orthopedic doctor and he prescribed some tests and medicine to him. Also, the doctor said his bones are weak. Please explain me what should I do know. Also, let me know wheth...  Read Full »
Dr. Sumit Chawla

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. After seeing the clinical image (attachment removed to protect patient identity) it appears to be synovitis of the knee joint. At the age of 50, osteoarthritis being the most common cause of synovitis. It is not advisable to start with steroid small 6 mg tablet. Is your...  Read Full »

The biopsy of my skin rash showed interface dermatitis with mucin. Do I have lupus?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 43 year old female, and I have had itchy, red, and burning rashes. It all started as a few bumps on my right arm, above my eyebrow, right upper nose area, all over the jaw and chin area, right chest and upper back react badly to the sun, and it is getting worse. I have had a l...  Read Full »
Dr. Naval Mendiratta
Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The rashes that you are describing along with the biopsy findings can go in favor of a connective tissue disease. Although, I would like to see the reports in detail, but as you mentioned interface dermatitis, it goes more in favor of lupus over dermatomyositis. But, ...  Read Full »

Arthritis in Its Many Forms
Article Overview: Arthritis is defined as the inflammation of a joint. There are various types of arthritis and despite their similarities, they can be differentiated from one another based on a number of factors. Early detection and treatment of each kind are important for conserving the functions of the joints involved.  Read Article »
Dr. Mashfika N Alam
Rheumatologist

What to think when you have a swollen, red and painful joint? Here are some of the common conditions that cause a swollen painful joint. 1. Gout It is a condition characterized by the deposition of monosodium urate crystals in the joint. Commonly affected joints are - the first metatarsophalangeal ...  Read Article »

Rheumatic Fever and Rheumatic Heart Disease
Article Overview: Rheumatic fever is a disease that is characterized by fever and joint pain. This is an outcome of improperly treated strep throat and scarlet fever.  Read Article »
Dr. Vasantha K S

Rheumatic fever is a serious inflammatory disease that arises as a complication of partially treated strep throat or scarlet fever. It is caused by group A streptococcus. Causes Not all cases of strep throat lead to rheumatic fever. When a strep throat infection or scarlet fever has not been complet ...  Read Article »

Knee Pain in Young Adults (Chondromalacia Patella)
Article Overview: Knee pain in front of the knee in young people is becoming common. This article provides some educational material on causes of it, treatment and preventive methods.  Read Article »
Dr. Mohan Krishna

Introduction: The most common location of knee pain in young adults is at the front of the knee joint. The problem usually arises from patella (Knee cap bone) and surrounding soft tissue. Knee cap (Patella) is a small bone which lies in front of lower end of thigh bone (Femur). The back side of kn ...  Read Article »

Do Not Ignore Arthritis Symptoms!!
Article Overview: This article stresses upon the fact that, when signs of arthritis appear, one should approach a doctor as early as possible for appropriate treatment.  Read Article »
Dr. Naval Mendiratta
Rheumatologist

Inflammatory arthritis is a common problem in females between the age group 20-50 years. It is characterized by swelling of the joints, early morning stiffness and pain which is constant and little relieved by work and use of painkillers. It is an autoimmune condition, i.e, body's immune system st ...  Read Article »

Why am I having swelling and pain in the joints with disability to walk?
Query: Hello doctor, I am having severe joint pains for two days. Initially, I had a fever. but now it has subsided but unable to move or walk freely as all joints seemed swollen.  Read Full »
Dr. Ella Maponya
General Practitioner, Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Acute generalized joint pain is an uncomfortable problem that needs attention as soon as possible especially because you are unable to move or walk freely. Diseases that can cause the kind of joint pain you are having include Gout where uric acid forms crystals that dep...  Read Full »

What is the treatment for rheumatoid arthritis?
Query: Hello doctor, I am diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. I have swelling on ankles, elbows and some fingers along with deformity in right wrist. Currently, I am taking ayurvedic medication. I need consultation.  Read Full »
Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If you are diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis, have completed your family, and do not want to conceive further, then start DMARDS (disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs), Methotrexate 15 mg once a week and Hydroxychloroquine 200 mg morning and evening if you have ac...  Read Full »

My fingers are forming knobs and hurt. Why is it so?
Query: Hello doctor, I have seen a rheumatologist and all my tests on autoimmune diseases are normal. He even ordered hand X-rays and they are normal. My fingers are forming knobs on them and hurt constantly. My movement is getting more and more limited. I can barely bend my affected fingers. I feel sick...  Read Full »
Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If the markers for inflammatory arthritis are negative, then, the possibility of chronic fatigue syndrome is there. I suggest you to start Pregabalin or Duloxetine to see the response which will be helpful in chronic fatigue syndrome. Consult with your specialist doc...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Joint Swelling? We have medical experts to help you right away.