Temporary Filling

Related Terms: Root Canal Treatment, Dental Fillings, Tooth Cavity, Toothache, Crowns, Temporary Crown, Tooth Decay

I have swelling and pain five hours after a temporary filling. What to take?
Query: Hello doctor,I got a temporary filling in my tooth today. But there was swelling and pain after five hours.  Read Full »
Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand you are worried about pain and discomfort in your tooth. After dental procedures like filling a root canal, infection and pain are not so uncommon. Many dentists give pain medications and antibiotics before discharging the patient (after the procedur...  Read Full »

I still have lot of pain a day after sedative filling. Is this normal?
Query: Hello doctor, I got a sedative filling done after a filling that was done a week ago became very painful. A day after the sedative filling, I am still experiencing a lot of pain. Is this normal? When should I consider going back to the dentist?  Read Full »
Dr. Divya Banu M
Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your issue. Since you have pain after sedative/temporary filling, this indicates the tooth is either non-vital or the cavity has reached the pulp (blood supply of tooth). So, kindly visit the dentist, take an X-ray (intraoral periapical radiograp...  Read Full »

I feel a hole in the tooth after root canal treatment. Should I worry about infection?
Query: Hi doctor, My upper incisor has a fracture. So, I had a temporary crown and then a couple weeks later I had a root canal completed. And today, I had my crown lengthening done to prepare for the permanent crown. My dentist mentioned to me that I would feel a hole in the back of my tooth, which I do....  Read Full »
Dr. Prerna Jain
Dentist

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com.The whole procedure you described is pretty standard and usually expected.During root canal treatment, till it is completed a temporary filling is placed in the hole. This hole on the back of the tooth is where the root canal treatment is done from.However, normally before ...  Read Full »

I have pain after temporary filling during RCT. Is it normal?
Query: Hi doctor, In root canal treatment, even after temporary filling, pain is still present. If something touches the tooth, there is extreme pain. Is it normal or do I need to get the tooth removed?  Read Full »
Dr. Subha
Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Root canal treatment involves three main steps namely: Access opening (opening of the root canal). Biomechanical preparation (cleaning and shaping the canal). Obturation (filling the canal). Temporary filling which you mean is just the superficial one. Pain may ...  Read Full »

Is root canal treatment necessary if there is no pain in the tooth?
Query: Hello doctor,Approximately one year back, my left chewing tooth got a small hole due to something which I bit. So, that became a tooth decay, over there it looks black. I recently consulted a dentist. So, he suggested a root canal but I do not have any pain nor loose of teeth and also I am afraid of...  Read Full »
Dr. Naveen Thomas
Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If the cavity is deep, the root canal treatment is necessary to save it. Else, it will have to be pulled out later. If it is not too deep then you should ask him whether first a temporary filling can be given and if there is no pain even after one month, it can be re...  Read Full »

My tooth become sensitive after a nonmetal filling. Do I need a root canal for that tooth?
Query: Hi doctor, My dentist convinced me to replace my metal filling with a nonmetal filling. After doing it, I got sensitivity to hot food and liquid. Then I went to visit my dentist. She took an X-ray and said the filling (she replaced) was close to the nerve. She suggested a specialist. He told me tha...  Read Full »
Dr. Naveen Thomas
Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query. If the X-ray shows that the filling or cavity is approximating or involving pulp, you will definitely need a root canal as just a filling will cause pain and infection in future. Maybe the doctor would have given a temporary filling just ...  Read Full »

Is it necessary to get root canal treatment done for tooth?
Query: Hello doctor, I have pain in one of the gums near one of the upper teeth. When after eating or having something hot or cold, I feel sensitive and after that, I get pain for some time but the pain goes away automatically. I have gone to one of the dentists and she suggested me to get a root canal tr...  Read Full »
Dr. Naveen Thomas
Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If you have pain after eating cold or hot, it mostly means that the nerves inside are infected. It has to be root canal treated. If you are so sure that it can be saved and want to try something else, ask a dentist to just clean the cavity and fill it with a temporar...  Read Full »

How can I relieve toothache due to dislodged filling in an incomplete root canal treated tooth?
Query: Hello doctor, I have toothache. I have an unfinished root canal for about eight months, temporary filling has also fallen out. Now I am with severe pain. Unable to drink, eat, etc. What should I do to relieve the pain? OTC is not working.  Read Full »
Dr. Geeth Sadasivam
Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read through your complaint and the relevant details. You said it is an eight months old treated tooth and also with incomplete root canal treatment. With this, I suspect that the tooth is severely infected and you might need to take a course of antibiotics along...  Read Full »

My front teeth chipped out following a hit. Please suggest me the right treatment.
Query: Hi doctor,I got a hit, and four of my teeth chipped, out of which two hurts. It has only been less than 24 hours so far. I went to the dentist, and she says that I need a root canal right away. However, taking a second opinion, the other dentist says a root canal is not necessary and it will heal on...  Read Full »
Dr. Tinu Thampy
Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per the radiograph (attachment removed to protect patient identity), I assume that pulp is not exposed. The fracture of the tooth is only till dentin layer. The pulp chamber and root canal is the black or dark area seen in the middle of the tooth on the radiograph. ...  Read Full »

Having problem with tooth filling. Would it be close to the nerve?
Query: Hi doctor, I recently broke a part of my back tooth besides an old filling. A week ago, my dentist removed the old filling and repaired everything with white filling. Since then, I have been getting a sharp pinch to the center of my tooth if I try to chew with it. There is no pain. It is a little se...  Read Full »
Dr. Naveen Thomas
Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The sensitivity is indeed due to deep filling very close to the nerve for comfort. Usually, if it is very deep some dentists put a base below the permanent filling to prevent temperature difference inside the mouth to transfer it to the nerve. If it is not possible, th...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Temporary Filling? We have medical experts to help you right away.