Mouth Ulcer

I have a protrusion under my tongue for past four days. What is that?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 26-year-old male, I have observed a protrusion under my tongue from the last four days. It is on the right side and has a white dot in between. I am not on any medication and do not smoke or drink. I am very worried. Please suggest what it might be?  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentist, Endodontist, Pedodontist, Periodontist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Could you send a picture to help us understand what it could be? It could be an abscess or an emerging ulcer etc. Is it hard? Is it filled with fluid or hard?  Read Full »

How to treat a lump inside the cheek?

Query: Hi doctor, There is a small lump inside my left cheek. It has been there for about three days. There is no pain, but when I push it with my tongue or if I hit that then it will be painful. I am attaching a photo. Does it look serious? I have to wait for two weeks until my appointment with a dentis...  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You need not have to worry much as it is nothing serious. It is a swelling along with ulcer formation of cheek due to biting of cheek by the corresponding upper and lower teeth. The upper tooth nearby to the ulcer is not in shape which results in the cheeks getting stuck ...  Read Full »

What is foliate papillitis?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 26 year old female, who has an inflamed looking foliate papillae on right side of the tongue towards the back, it has been like this for more than three weeks now. It has not gotten better or worse, pretty much looks the same. It creates this feeling of something stuck in the ...  Read Full »

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Otolaryngologist, Audiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The lesion on the tongue (attachment removed to protect patient identity) appears to be an ulcerative lesion. You should get yourself examined by an ENT specialist because I think a biopsy might be required. As you might have taken antibiotics for tooth infection, the t...  Read Full »

Why do I have white lines on the side of my tongue?

Query: Hello doctor, The left side of my tongue has been hurting for a few days, and there is a white raised line on it. What do you think it could be? The image is attached.  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Answer: Hello, Welcome to iclinq.com. I have seen the image (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It seems to be an inflammation of the tongue mucosa either due to common mouth ulcer erupting below the tongue or a tongue bite which occurred while chewing the food. If it is an ulcer forming, it ...  Read Full »

Can the mouth ulcers or canker sores on the side of the tongue be due to herpes virus?

Query: Hello doctor, Can the mouth ulcers or canker sores on the side of the tongue be herpes virus? I also had a couple of mouth ulcers on the inside of my lips, but they appeared and vanished in a couple of days. I never had a cold sore on the outside of my lips but did not know if mouth ulcers could st...  Read Full »

Dr. Kakkar

Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Herpes usually causes sores on the hard mucosa in the oral cavity like palate and gums whereas ulcers on tongue, lips, etc., are often canker sores. I could not see any ulcers in the image (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Kindly upload more images.  Read Full »

Why are my bottom gums purple after tooth removal?

Query: Hi doctor, I pulled my tooth recently. Now, I have noticed a white patch on my gums, and the gums present on the bottom of my mouth has turned purplish. What could it be?  Read Full »

Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your extraction socket has not healed correctly. There can be a left root stump. It makes the healing process delayed. You must visit the dentist to resolve the problem. If you have bur...  Read Full »

Is drinking nail polish remover dangerous?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a question about the side effects of ingesting a small amount of nail polish remover. Here is the scenario. My girlfriend used the nail polish remover on her hands to take off her polish. Immediately after that, we were making out. So, I kind of sucked her fingers and nails. I ...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. This amount of ingestion of nail polish removal followed by rinsing is not going to cause any ill effects to you except, a change in taste for a few days and oral ulcerations maximum. I do not find any reason to worry. If you have any further queries please ask me. For...  Read Full »

What is the bump on the underside of the tongue?

Query: Hi doctor, I have developed a large, hard lump on the underside of my tongue. It is grayish white in color and does not hurt at all. It feels like a hard ball in my tongue. Also, I have other small red bumps. I do not know how long they have been there and I just noticed it before two days. These ar...  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The hard lump under your tongue is mostly inflammation which usually gets very hard due to the structure of tongue. The bumps are formed when the inflamed tongue presses against the teeth causing that particular pattern.The inflammation of tongue usually becomes very h...  Read Full »

Why do my gums hurt when I eat?

Query: Hi doctor, Whenever I eat spicy food, I feel some kind of irritation, burning sensation and pain in my gums. I do not have any cavity in my teeth. I got scaling done 2 years back. Once I stop eating spicy food, the pain fades away in few minutes. I would like to know the reason behind it. Please a...  Read Full »

Dr. Subha

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com.  Read Full »

Why am I having white spots on gums?

Query: Hi doctor,I have a small white dot on my gums. It looks like a whitehead. I noticed it a couple of days ago. It is painless. It is just above my left canine. I do not know what it is. It is towards the top of the gum. I have attached the photo. Can you suggest what it could be? I am scared of the de...  Read Full »

Dr. Paras Angrish

Dentist, Pedodontist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It looks like a minor aphthous ulcer, which gives no pain and subsides by itself. Please check if there is any pus discharge, pain in the tooth and any other area of the mouth also has this kind of spots. Aphthous ulcer often causes minimal symptoms or problems. Oral u...  Read Full »

All the answers published in the forum are given by leading doctors, therapists and health experts.