Oral Polio Vaccine

When are BCG and OPV given after birth?

Query: Hi doctor, My baby is 10 days old. The doctor has given only hepatitis B vaccines at the time of birth. And, they planned BCG and OPV-B after 15 days. Is that fine?  Read Full »

Dr. Deepak Patel

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your question and I know that you are very concerned about your child, but do not worry. Ideally BCG (Bacillus Calmette-Guerin), OPV (oral polio vaccine) and hepatitis B should be given at birth. But, if they have not been given at birth, then BCG and OPV can ...  Read Full »

What precaution should I take for my 15-month-old kid before getting the pending vaccination?

Query: Hello doctor, My 15-month-old daughter underwent coarctation surgery at nine months. Her vaccines since then are pending, which include MMR, OPV, hepatitis, etc. As per the vaccination schedule, she last received a vaccine at seven months. As a post-surgical procedure, she is put on hypertension co...  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The answers to your queries are as follows: You can give one dose of MMR (measles, mumps, and rubella) and hepatitis right now, followed by OPV (oral polio vaccine) one month later. If taking IPV, it can be given right away. A month after OPV, the rest of the vacc...  Read Full »

My son was given three drops of OPV instead of two. Should I be worried?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is 20 months old. In polio campaign he was given 3 drops of OPV instead of 2 drops. I am worried about the extra drop given. I could not find any recommendation of WHO or UNICEF for minimum and maximum dose of OPV drop in the internet. Please help me in this matter. Thank you.  Read Full »

Dr. Lalit Bansal

Paediatrician, Neurologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. An extra drop of OPV (oral polio vaccine) should not cause him any problem. These are live attenuated vaccine and thus virus does not cause any illness. Case report of them are very rare and usually with faulty vaccine preparation. Also, this was his booster dose. It w...  Read Full »

Is it safe to take Neopeptine after OPV?

Query: Hello doctor, My 2.6 years old son is suffering from stomach gas since last month. Every night he wakes up from his sleep crying. He got an OPV yesterday morning, and we gave him Neopeptine 5 ml tonight for the stomach problem. I am scared that I gave him the syrup after OPV. Is there any risk asso...  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Neopeptine (combination of Pepsin and Alpha-amylase) is an absolutely safe medicine even if given alone or with any other medicine or any vaccine. It is the best medicine for abdominal pain. Regarding stomach upset, keep a check on the appetite of the child as to what is ...  Read Full »

My 5 month old baby missed his polio vaccination. What should I do now?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is five months old. He has not received polio drop vaccinations as I was unaware. What should I do now?  Read Full »

Dr. Amit Modi

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Polio vaccination is generally done with the scheduled vaccination. If you have visited your doctor at six weeks, 10 weeks, and 14 weeks of vaccination, he must have vaccinated the child for polio as well. Still, if you feel it has not been done, visit a Paediatrician f...  Read Full »

Do I need a booster for vaccines which I had in childhood?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a photographer and would likely venture into so many remote areas. I will obtain appropriate malaria prophylaxis before traveling to remote areas and have a large supply of DEET and Permethrin mosquito repellent. I want to be sure that I am up-to-date with all of my vaccines and that...  Read Full »

Dr. Pooja Pardhi

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query and can understand your health concern. It is good that you have taken most of the essential vaccines. I would like to suggest you to take typhoid vaccine and pneumococcal vaccine As you have taken almost all the polio doses, I think th...  Read Full »

I missed giving the pulse polio drops. Is it mandatory to get it done?

Query: Hello doctor, I missed the pulse polio drops campaign for my daughter 3 years old. I really wanted to know, is there any difference between these drops and the ones we give through the regular immunization schedule. We spend thousands to get the immunizations done. Considering this, does it become ...  Read Full »

Dr. Baratu Bhaisara

Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. Pulse polio dose is an extra dose other than the routine immunization. This dose (pulse polio) is given on specified dates in a calendar year through government agencies.This campaign aims towards eradication of polio. If your daughter mi...  Read Full »

Is newborn screening test necessary?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife is pregnant, and the expected due date is in twenty days. I heard about newborn screening test, is it essential? Because it costs a lot. And please guide us about the medication and vaccination, after the baby's birth.  Read Full »

Dr. Aparna M Sathawane

Obstetrician And Gynaecologist, Childbirth Educator, Infertility Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The newborn screening test is not mandatory at all. It is advisable when a family has some known genetic or metabolic disorder. Do not do cord blood banking. A newborn baby does not require any medicines, except mother's milk. But, some drops of multivitamin and calcium ...  Read Full »