Scalp Psoriasis

What is the white powder like stuff in my hair?

Query: Hi doctor, On my head some four to five spots of white powder like substance is forming. Initially I had it only on two spots but now it became five spots. If it is dandruff entire head part will occur but mine is different. I have lost some hairs on surrounding affected spots. Please tell me wha...  Read Full »

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, HIV AIDS Specialist, Plastic Surgeon, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please send the good quality photographs of the lesion and also please tell me if there is any burning or itching? Let me know if any other areas are affected like elbow and knee? Looking forward for your response in order to help you. Revert back with the ph...  Read Full »

I have developed scalp, fingers and nail psoriasis inspite of applying Tacrolimus. Please advice.

Query: Hello doctor. I am a 35-year-old male with moderate obesity. I do not have any chronic ailments like diabetes, BP, etc. The skin on my inner groins (slightly close to the gluteal folds) has become dark over the years and due to constant friction between the inner thighs has developed dryness and cr...  Read Full »

Dr. Shanza Ikram

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your case. Yes, it could be flexural psoriasis as you have psoriasis on two other body parts. Please apply clobetasol propionate ointment mix it with petroleum jelly or vaseline and use two times a day for 14 days. And apply Tacrolimus ointment at...  Read Full »

Is there a permanent remedy to get rid of psoriasis?

Query: Hello doctor, I would like to know a few details of the tablets which I have been taking for my scalp psoriasis. Winolap 5mg once in a while when itching is too high (without doctor's prescription). Isotretinoin drugs/other drugs (with doctor's prescription). I have been taking these medicines on a...  Read Full »

Dr. Rahul Rathee

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Isotretinoin is a potentially dangerous drug and in many countries there are very strict guidelines over its use. It basically contains retinoids which in simple language is a derivative of vitamin A. It is primarily used to treat severe cystic acne and I fail to und...  Read Full »

Is my DHT level causing mild hair fall and flaky scalp?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 19 years old. For the past three months, I have mild hair fall. I lose around 2 to 10 hair after every shower. I have never had hair fall in the past. I also did a background check with my family history; none had any baldness even in the 70s. I fear this would be the result of mas...  Read Full »

Dr. Shalini Patodiya

Dermatologist, Venereologist, Cosmetologist, Family Physician, Hair Transplant Surgeon

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Flaky scalp not responding to Noskurf (combination of Climbazole, Piroctone Olamine, Aminodermine, and almond oil) lotion may be scalp psoriasis and need steroid plus Salicylic acid 6 % combination lotion. The pain is due to hair root inflammation, which is commonly...  Read Full »

I have hair fall, itching and white flakes on scalp. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, For four years, I have been suffering from severe hair fall. I have also visited a hair clinic once, but their treatment is too expensive. So, I have not continued the treatment. As my earning is very low, I have never visited any good dermatologist. I have tried various products, but the...  Read Full »

Dr. Joydeep Singha

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is sebopsoriasis of the scalp (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I suggest a shampoo containing Coal tar and Salicylic acid on alternate day and keep it for 5 to 7 minutes on the hair and then wash. There is no evidence of familial type of hair loss fou...  Read Full »

Apart from getting injections, what treatments are available for seborrheic dermatitis?

Query: Hello doctor, Eight years ago, a car wreck shattered the windshield, and my head got injured with pieces of glass. They did not take the glass out, and I have also been dying my hair since I was 16. I developed fibromyalgia from the wreck, which is supposed to be relatively non-progressive, however ...  Read Full »

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The diagnosis from your history would still be seborrheic dermatitis or sebopsoriasis or scalp psoriasis. This is more of a cyclical problem, it tends to curb down with 2 to 3 months of treatment, but recurring back with a change in season or lifestyle. However, it n...  Read Full »

There is continuous abnormal hair loss in a female patient. Kindly advice.

Query: Hello doctor, My wife aged 38 has been suffering from abnormal hair loss for the last few years. Hair continuously falls the whole day. It is so severe that we have to clean the rooms every few minutes. Even without any touch on the head, it falls continuously. We have a daughter aged 10. We consu...  Read Full »

Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your wife's concern. Has she done a blood test recently for thyroid profile, hemoglobin level, serum ferritin levels? Could you please attach the prescription and revert back? Also, send the image of her scalp. I would like to see if it is generalize...  Read Full »

How to prevent hair loss due to scalp psoriasis?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from scalp psoriasis. I have yellow flakes appearing predominantly on the frontal and middle portion of the scalp. After shampooing, it is accompanied by hair loss. What can I do to prevent flaking and to reduce my hair fall? I am using Ketocare shampoo with Topisol 6 % lo...  Read Full »

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I would recommend you use Salytor shampoo (Coal tar with Salicylic acid) twice weekly and continue with Topisol 6 % lotion (Clobetasol with Salicylic acid). If it is associated with it...  Read Full »

When I try to remove the flakes on my scalp, there is bleeding and crusting. Why?

Query: Hello doctor,I am suffering from two major problems from the past three years.Acne and marks.Sticky oily dandruff.Scalp flakes do not get dislodged even after shampooing. I have to dig my comb into the scalp to remove the flakes which lead to bleeding in certain areas and forms crusts. I have opted ...  Read Full »

Dr. Shaunak Patel

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have been following all the right advice. Continue the same for the face. As for the scalp, I think since it does not get resolved with antidandruff medication and there is crusting involved, my diagnosis would go in favor of scalp psoriasis. However, I cannot g...  Read Full »

I have a scaly patch on my scalp which does not go away. Please advise.

Query: Hello doctor, I have been suffering from a chronic 3 cm patch on my scalp, which has scales in it. If I remove these scales, gum-like liquid forms in that area and it dries to form the scales again. It reduces if I tonsure my hair and increases with hair growth. I do not have similar patches anywher...  Read Full »

Dr. Asiya Hafeez

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is a partially treated lesion. From your description, your scaly scalp could be seborrhea or psoriatic plaque. An autoimmune disorder has probably caused it. Investigations to be done: Fasting lipid. Hepatitis B and C serology. Skin biopsy. Scraping for fungus. I su...  Read Full »