Gallbladder Surgery

Will gallbladder removal cause any complications post surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, I want to take a second opinion about my wife. She is 26 years old. Two years back, a few days after she gives birth to my child, she had pain in her upper abdomen at the right side. In ultrasound, it was diagnosed that she had gallstones about 6 mm with multiple stones. When we appr...  Read Full »

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The best advice is that she should have a gallbladder removal via laparoscopic cholecystectomy. Since it not only help her to get rid of this noxious pain, but she can avoid the long term complication of chronic cholecystitis that is related to the gallbladder stones...  Read Full »

What are the complications of leaving an asymptomatic gallstone untreated?

Query: Hi, I have one gallstone that is 18mm my common bile duct is 3mm , I have had this stone since 7 years and it was 12mm then so it’s grown , I have never had severe pain but i have positive Murphy’s sign and ultrasound has shown on and off mild wall thickening. I am terrified of surgery...  Read Full »

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Answer: Hello. I welcome you to icliniq. Well I can very well understand your concern. Just look up in the list of indications for gall bladder due to stones. Stone with typical gall bladder pain. The typical gall bladder pain is moderate to severe intensity pain, that starts after meals, and remain for ...  Read Full »

Why do I have a nagging and choking sensation in my throat?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a nagging feeling on my throat for more than a month and a half now. It has been worsening as a feeling of choking sensation all day. I do not have a problem swallowing, nor is my throat painful, but the feeling is annoying, and I have a hard time sleeping nowadays. I do not have...  Read Full »

Dr. Sugreev Singh

Internal Medicine Physician, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thank you for your query. And I am concerned about you. It is due to gastric reflux disease only. As you mentioned, you have removed gallbladder. So when you eat something because there is no organ to consume all the enzymes, it hits back, and you get such a choking f...  Read Full »

Could pain in shoulders, back and chest post gallbladder surgery occur due to gastritis?

Query: Hello doctor. I had gallbladder surgery before two weeks. Why would I still have pain? I was told I could eat a normal diet but I have pain in shoulders, back, and chest and burning sensation in chest and shoulders. Is this gastritis after surgery? I am currently on Pantoprazole, Famotidine, Cetir...  Read Full »

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Well, yes, gastritis can occur post-surgery. Two factors one is peri-operative stress leading to excessive acid production, secondly the bile can reflux back into the stomach (however rare) due to the removal of gallbladder. You have been using Pantoprazole which is...  Read Full »

What is the reason for biloma, stomach pain and hard stools post gallbladder removal?

Query: Hello doctor, Before two months, I had my gallbladder removed. Two months after, I had a 9 mm stone lodged. However, this did not resolve the issue. One week ago, they found a biloma however, my surgeon does not think it is a issue though I am experiencing stomach pain and lake stools. His conclusi...  Read Full »

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Well, your surgeon seems to be doing the right things. There are several other reasons to think the alternative diagnosis like peptic ulcer disease, biliary reflux, post cholecystectomy pain, or functional abdominal pain. The factors which predispose you to develop a...  Read Full »

Can laparoscopic gallbladder surgery result in radiating shoulder pain?

Query: I had laparoscopic surgery 1 week in a half ago and also hd an ercp done for a stone stuck in the duct. Ok a week goes by I had some stomach pain, bloating, and diarrhea, but most of that is gone now, This morning I wake up and had one of the most excrusiating pain in my shoulder that radiates into ...  Read Full »

Dr. Lalit Bansal

General Surgeon

Answer: hello I will definitely help you regarding your query Laparoscopic gall bladder surgery with ercp with or without stenting usually clear all the stones in duct. it has very low complication rate. however if complication arises it will be there within 24 to 48 hr after the procedure. it includes pain...  Read Full »

What causes postcholecystectomy syndrome?

Query: Hello doctor, Over a year ago, I scheduled an appointment to try to understand why I was rapidly losing weight. My gastroenterologist ran some tests and did an upper endoscopy as well as a HIDA scan. The upper turned out negative for all tests however the HIDA scan reported that my gallbladder was ...  Read Full »

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Well, I understand that a year back you have been diagnosed with gallbladder dyskinesia or dysmotility as reported by HIDA scan. I was wondering whether you have weight loss as the only primary symptom or associated with abdominal pain. Because gallbladder dyskinesia m...  Read Full »

I have a respiratory problem. Is it wise to plan gallbladder operation?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother was diagnosed to have acute cholecystitis. She is 65 years old and is suffering from respiratory and heart problem. One mild stroke also happened around two years back. She had recently failed pulmonary function test. Will it be wise to plan gallbladder operation? Please reply.  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, it is wise to carry out gallbladder surgery if she is diagnosed with acute cholecystitis. The only problem with surgery is whether the patient is fit for anesthesia or not. Since your mother is failing pulmonary function tests you should find the cause of her respira...  Read Full »

Is gallbladder removal necessary for gallstone problem?

Query: Hi doctor, I have aches on the right side of the upper and lower abdomen as well as in the back that is below my shoulder blade. These aches have got worse over time in the past seven months. My doctor informed me that I have gallstones and that is the cause of my aches and pains. He said that I sh...  Read Full »

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I had gone through all the details posted. From the images posted (attachment removed to protect patient identity), there is mild distension of the gallbladder can be noted, but the exact size of the gallstone is not seen clearly. Kindly upload the official report of t...  Read Full »

Why did my doctor suggest gallbladder removal for right upper abdomen pain?

Query: Hi doctor, About a month ago, I experienced acute pain in my right upper abdomen and that radiated to my back. It happened after I had a high fat meal that night. The pain lasted for hours and continued as a dull ache for the next week. I made an appointment with a gastroenterologist and he advised ...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. We are here to help you. Such description of pain is usually seen in the gallbladder issues as well as acid reflux disease. There is no point in taking a second opinion from a gastroenterologist as he would suggest the same. Actually, his suggestion is right. However, If ...  Read Full »