Chronic Idiopathic Urticaria

Related Terms: Urticaria, Antihistamines, Hives, Calamine, Cetirizine, Chronic Autoimmune Urticaria, Levocetirizine

Is it safe to use Xolair for urticaria?
Query: Hi doctor,I have been suffering from preliminary chronic urticaria for unknown causes for the last 13 years. It is not responding to antihistamine treatment for the past six years. Sometimes, it gets as severe as I have to use Corticosterone injection (Diprofos). All blood analysis showed no cause....  Read Full »
Dr. Chaitra Prakash
Cosmetologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. Chronic idiopathic urticaria is a type of urticaria (wheals). It is a disturbing illness and difficult to manage. Most urticaria patients benefit from prolonged antihistamines and some may require immune suppressing drugs like Cyclosporine t...  Read Full »

Role of Biologics (Omalizumab) in Chronic Urticaria
Article Overview: Omalizumab is a newer therapy for patients with chronic urticaria. In this article, I have discussed in detail about the mechanism of action, use, dosage, side effects and precautions of Omalizumab.  Read Article »

Omalizumab, an antibody derived from murine blood acts against human immunoglobulin E (IgE). This drug was approved by FDA (Food and Drug Administration) for use in chronic idiopathic urticaria. It can be used in a patient who does not respond to approved doses of H1 antihistamines. Mechanism of Ac ...  Read Article »

How to identify the cause of allergy?
Query: Hi doctor, I am getting allergy once in three to four days, which causes rashes and swelling on the body. I take Cetirizine to control the allergy. The allergy is mostly due to unknown factors. Although, it could be because of cloth material I am wearing or bed sheets. Is there anything I can do ...  Read Full »
Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your query in detail and do understand your concern.  Read Full »

My wife has urticaria. Please help.
Query: Hello doctor, My wife has been getting a rash which the doctor has termed as urticaria. What could have caused this? I feel she could be having a yeast intolerance. Please help.  Read Full »
Dr. Kakkar S
Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your wife has been treated for urticaria. I would keep a possibility of idiopathic urticaria/hives. It presents as sudden skin welts/swellings, which can be distributed all over the body. Itching is usually severe; however it is subjective in individuals. The c...  Read Full »

Urticaria - Causes and Treatment
Article Overview: Urticaria is a condition that is characterized by the presence of wheels or hives over the body. Usually, it occurs alone but may also occur along with swelling of lips, eyes, and face (angioedema).  Read Article »
Dr. Rabia

Urticaria is a condition that is characterized by the presence of wheels or hives over the body. Usually, it occurs alone but may also occur along with swelling of lips, eyes, and face (angioedema). Which Is the Most Common Symptom Seen? Patients who experience urticaria have itching over the area ...  Read Article »

Will getting blood test for allergy help me receive the right treatment?
Query: Hello doctor, So, I have hives, also known as chronic urticaria. Basically, I break out when the climate I am in is hot, or when I exercise. I visited my family doctor and he told me to get a blood test and he also gave me a Cetirizine (Zyrtec) prescription which is 20 mg. I have been taking this me...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The blood test should determine what allergen is causing the problems in you. Sometimes it can be a combination of allergens. Once we know that we help you avoid the same and prevent the sensitivity reactions. Allergies and hypersensitivities are not cured by medici...  Read Full »

I have a rash that appears only when I sweat or take a shower. Is it hives?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 20 year old male. I have a weird rash on the back. It looks like hives but does not itch or burn at all. It only appears when I sweat or take a shower.  Read Full »
Dr. Smit Uttam Janrao

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. This is due to urticaria or hives. The mainstay treatment for this is to avoid the triggering factors, like in your case sweating or shower. I will suggest some medications. Please take them and let me know about the outcome. Tablet Montair LC (Montelukast and Le...  Read Full »

I have rashes over a year after exposure. Do I have HIV or can I get married?
Query: Dear doctor,I participated in unsafe sex with a girl and after one and a half years, I have been tested with CMIA test rapid antibody test and ELISA test and all results are negative for HIV 1 and 2. But, the tension in my mind was not cleared and every day I am suffering from this thought did I get...  Read Full »
Dr. Kakkar S

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have noted your concern. I request you to kindly upload a few images of the allergy/rashes on your shoulders and chest so that I am able to have a look and guide you better. As far as your HIV screening is concerned your test results are conclusive. Regards. For m...  Read Full »

I get a swelling on the temple after chewing hard food. Please help.
Query: Hi doctor, I get a swelling on the temple after chewing on hard food, for example, steak or candy. The swelling goes down after I stop eating, but the area feels numb for a long time after that. What can cause this? I have chronic urticaria and MGUS.   Read Full »
Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have carefully reviewed your health query and will answer your concerns. The issues you mentioned are related to mastication (chewing). It is a process where you have to put a lot of energy, and the muscles of mastication are widely used. It seems there is some ne...  Read Full »

Why am I getting on and off skin colored itchy bumps?
Query: Hi doctor, For the past few weeks, I am getting skin color bumps (small bubble) all over my legs, hips and sometimes on hands. These are itchy and go away after few hours. Again, the next day they will come in the same spots and go away after some time. In my place, it is peak summer now. Is this ...  Read Full »
Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. This looks like acute urticaria. If the skin colored hives and wheals appear and disappear for a few days, then it is called acute urticaria. If the symptoms persist for more than six weeks, then it is called chronic urticaria. If these skin colored bumps pain on vert...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Chronic Idiopathic Urticaria? We have medical experts to help you right away.