Elevated Bilirubin

Related Terms: Bilirubin, Jaundice, Alt, Hemolytic Disease, Liver Function Test, Quit Alcohol, Raised Liver Enzymes

Can elevated bilirubin be interrelated with my stomach discomfort?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 33-year-old female and I am fairly healthy and not overweight. I have been having constant nausea and stomach discomfort for several weeks now. I occasionally get a dull ache on the right side and feel full for a long time after eating. I am very worried what this could be. I h...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your symptoms are suggestive of jaundice and your report also suggests the same. I would need to know Since when are you having all these symptoms? When was this bilirubin test performed? Do you have any fever? How about alcohol consumption? Fo...  Read Full »

Do I need to take medicines for elevated bilirubin?
Query: Hi doctor, My bilirubin levels are high. I just took an opinion from my general physician and he asked me to contact a gastroenterologist to know the exact reason for high bilirubin. Can you suggest any other tests or medication for this? I have also attached my laboratory reports for your reference...  Read Full »
Dr. Happykumar Kagathara

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have elevated unconjugated bilirubin and elevated total bilirubin (attachment removed to protect patient identity). But, your liver enzymes AST (aspartate transaminase) and ALT (alanine transaminase) are within normal limit. Bilirubin level increases due to many reaso...  Read Full »

We are not sure about my friend's diagnosis. Kindly help.
Query: Hi doctor, I am a general practitioner. I would like to consult with you regarding my friend, who has a normochromic normocytic anemia. His hemoglobin is currently 7.5. His diagnosis is not clear. I have all his laboratory data and bone marrow biopsy as well as aspiration if you want. He used to tak...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. One thing for sure is that he is having periodic hemolysis with adequate bone marrow response and he has a severe vitamin B12 deficiency. His corrected RPI (reticulocyte production index) is 2.7%, which means that his bone marrow is responding to the anemia appropriat...  Read Full »

Kindly interpret the blood reports taken for fever, sleeplessness and body pain.
Query: Hello doctor, I am writing this letter for my mother-in-law. She is 65 years old and seems to be healthy. Recently she was suffering ill (fever, sleepless at night, body pain, etc.) thus visited a doctor (physician). After a physical examination and studying certain blood tests (that he was suggest...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your electrophoresis report shows increased gamma globulin level (attachment removed to protect patient identity). So your doctor might suspect plasma cell dyscrasia, especially multiple myeloma like condition. So referred you to a hematologist. But in electrophoresis ...  Read Full »

Are my hemoglobin and hematocrit values in the normal range?
Query: Hello doctor,I have 18.1 g/dL as my hemoglobin level and hematocrit is 50.8. Is it normal?  Read Full »
Dr. Smrita Singh
Hematologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). As per your test results, your alkaline phosphatase and total bilirubin are elevated. This means that there is a problem in the liver or the biliary tract. Also, your LDL (low-density li...  Read Full »

Are uric acid medications and Paracetamol harmful to the liver?
Query: Hello doctor,My father is 67 and a patient of hypertension and hypothyroidism. Recently, he has been detected with elevated bilirubin levels. Here are his recent symptoms: occasional mild fever (99 to 100.5 F). No apparent cold symptom. Typhoid test came negative. Mild nausea (feeling better after u...  Read Full »
Dr. Noushif M
Surgical Gastroenterologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The attached reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) look alright except for fatty liver on the ultrasound scan. The liver function is fine. The bilirubin can just be observed, nothing worrisome. I suggest he have Udiliv (Ursodiol) for three t...  Read Full »

My premature nephew had body swelling when he was a week old. Why?
Query: Hi doctor, My nephew is a premature baby. On the third day, his blood glucose level was decreased to 34. Later, he was admitted and kept under surveillance. His blood test revealed elevated bilirubin level. Four days later, his blood values become normal. On the same day, suddenly there was swellin...  Read Full »
Dr. Veerabhadrudu Kuncham
Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your baby probably has a problem with his kidneys. A urine spot protein to creatinine ratio of more than two usually suggests that your baby is losing a lot of protein through his kidneys called nephrotic range proteinuria. So, the swelling of the body migh...  Read Full »

Kindly give a review regarding the elevated test results.
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 34 year old male. I have found elevated test results in my recent blood report (liver function test). Could you give a review regarding this?  Read Full »
Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com.  I had gone through the posted report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The report suggests that you have hepatitis. The common causes of hepatitis are viral, alcohol induced, malaria and dengue fever. Kindly provide the following details to arrive at a ...  Read Full »

I have grade 1 fatty changes in liver. How to improve my health?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 33 year old male. Recently, I went for a master checkup. To my horror, I found my liver reports abnormal. I have attached my reports for your reference. The ultrasound of abdomen revealed grade-I fatty changes in liver. Apart from this, my triglycerides levels are also elevated. ...  Read Full »
Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is good to get routine checkup (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and you got your problem identified earlier. Fatty changes are not good thing. It may lead to cirrhosis. Mild elevation of unconjugated bilirubin suggests syndromes association or hemolysi...  Read Full »

Please advise management for gallbladder carcinoma.
Query: Hello doctor,My uncle is 55 years old and is suffering from carcinoma in gallbladder with asymmetric cell development leading to the mouth of the pancreas. The CECT scan report says that G.B. is slightly distended. Gross asymmetrical wall thickening is seen mainly in the fundus of the gallbladder ex...  Read Full »
Dr. Satyajit Jalinder Pawar
Medical Oncologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and history above. Based on which looks like he has metastatic carcinoma gallbladder (stage IV). In general, overall survival in such cases is about six months without chemotherapy and with ...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Elevated Bilirubin? We have medical experts to help you right away.