Rabies Vaccine

Related Terms: Rabies, Anti-rabies Vaccine, Rabies Immunoglobulin, Rabies Contact Category, Dog Bite, Tetanus Injection, Tetanus Toxoid Vaccine

Does my kid need rabies vaccine if a stray dog licked his hand?
Query: Hello doctor, A stray dog came near my 3 years and eight months old toddler. Its mouth was very near his hand. I do not know if it licked his hand or not but I just got worried. He has no open bleeding wound but yes mosquito bite sites and many minute abrasions because of playing. In the last two y...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Just licking on unbroken skin comes under category-1 exposure. Here no vaccination is needed. But if licking was on abraded skin then better to get vaccinated. If you are not sure about licking on the abraded skin and if dog not traceable than better to get vaccinat...  Read Full »

Do I need to have a rabies vaccine towards an unsure scratch ?
Query: Hello doctor,Two days before a small puppy came and I am not sure whether he scratched me or not. There is no big mark on feet. But I have a very small cut in my hand. I have cleared my jeans with that hand. So I am doubtful my cut has come in contact with that place where puppy licks. Sir do I need...  Read Full »
Dr. Nidhin Mohan

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Just take the first dose and second dose after three days. There is no need for five doses. The last dose was taken just a few months back. Anti-rabies antibodies will still persist in the body and provide immunity. But still, reexposure within one year requires two dos...  Read Full »

Vaccinated dog bite my daughter. Is anti-rabies vaccine needed?
Query: Dear Doctor, My daughter is 5 years old. A vaccinated dog scratched her right hand with its teeth. There is no skin damage but deep red mark is visible. Is anti-rabies vaccine optional or compulsory for her?  Read Full »
Dr. E Venkata Ramana
Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Thank you for your query on icliniq.com. Let me explain the seriousness of the deep red marks simply : Visible deep red marks could mean a very small wound but it is still a large door for rabies virus to enter. If rabies has once developed, then it has no treatment. Prevention by anti-rabie...  Read Full »

Being vaccinated, is it fine to get 2 doses of rabies vaccine now for dog bite?
Query: Hi doctor, I had 5 doses of rabies vaccine along with rabies immunoglobulin before two years. A month later again, I was bitten by a dog and took three doses of rabies vaccine. Then after a year when I was bitten by a dog, I had two doses of vaccine. Now, again, I was bitten by a stray dog and took ...  Read Full »
Dr. Vivek Chail

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The antirabies vaccine is usually protective for two years and the antibodies from first dose would have been at a protective level for you. This does not mean that the antibodies will go down after two years, but it only might go down. However, since you took two doses l...  Read Full »

A dog's teeth touched my fingers. Do I need to take rabies vaccine?
Query: Hi doctor, My query is regarding the necessity of rabies treatment for me. Last week, I accidentally disturbed a sleeping dog. It started barking and tried to bite my right hand. I pulled my hand; hence it could not harm me. But, I remember that during this incident its teeth and tongue strongly to...  Read Full »
Dr. Aamir Mohd

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Is the dog alright? You have to keep watching the dog whether the dog die or not. Since, there is no blood and you said it happened last week; you do not need any vaccine now. Revert back with the asked details to a general practitioner online --> https://www.iclin...  Read Full »

A pet dog bit me three years back. Can I take anti-rabies vaccine now?
Query: Hi doctor, I am an 18 year old male. Three years ago, a dog slightly bit my hand. The dog died 1.5 years after he bit me. It has been three years now, but I am worried as I heard that rabies appears after years. I did not take any medicine then. I ignored it because it was a pet dog. If I take anti...  Read Full »
Dr. Ehsan Samarbafzadeh

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your worry with this situation as rabies is considered dangerous. The good news is that the dog that bit you probably did not have rabies as the progression of this disease is fast in dogs. If a rabid dog bites you, it will die in weeks. As you mentioned t...  Read Full »

My puppy bit me. Do I need an anti-rabies vaccine?
Query: Hello doctor, Do I need an anti-rabies vaccine, because my 2 and a half-month-old puppy nipped me? It is barely a bite but I cleaned it and no symptoms seem to show up, my puppy is not vaccinated yet because it is too young. I am 18 years old.  Read Full »
Dr. Mashfika N Alam

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If the bite was unprovoked and if it caused bleeding then you should get a course of anti-rabies vaccine plus a shot of tetanus immunoglobulin, to be on the safe side. Even though it is a pet, it is not immunized so the standard protocol is to get vaccinated if the abov...  Read Full »

I was licked by a dog five years ago. Shall I get vaccinated now?
Query: Hi doctor, Five years ago, I was licked by a domestic dog on my foot. There were cracks below my foot. But, I did not know whether the dog touched those cracks or not. The dog lived for another four years and died. Is there is any use if I take rabies vaccine now?  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. No, there is no use of taking rabies vaccine now. Rest assured and you are not infected. The rabies virus has incubation period between 20 and 90 days, beyond which there is no chance to have rabies in host. Also the dog lived for four years, so it was not infected. If ...  Read Full »

What precautions should be taken for dog bite?
Query: Hello doctor, I have been bitten by a dog which is regularly vaccinated. So, what precautions should I take? Can you please let me know the diet for food or something else, please.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have reviewed your query and here is my advise. You have been bitten by a dog, so tetanus toxoid and rabies vaccine can be taken for that to prevent tetanus and rabies. But as you said if you are sure that dog is fully immunized with rabies then no need to take the...  Read Full »

Is there any chance of getting rabies when licked by a street dog?
Query: Hi doctor, A dog licked my leg on the street. I have no wounds on the leg. When I came home, I washed my leg with soap and then I found out that I had a little scratch near my hand nail (I did it when I was doing manicure). Is there any chance to get rabies in that way?  Read Full »
Dr. Ashish Jayanand Chandwadkar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I will recommend you to follow the dog's trails. If it is normal, then there is no problem. If you have any feeling of doubt, then you get a rabies vaccine. Licking an open wound can transmit the virus if the dog has a rabies infection. But, if the dog is good and if yo...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Rabies Vaccine? We have medical experts to help you right away.