Radiation Exposure

Related Terms: Radiation Hazards, Sun Exposure, Sunscreen, Sunprotection, Sunscreen Lotion, Cancer, Chest Pain

Does radiation exposure during x-ray cause cancer?
Query: Hi doctor, I am an 18 year old male. I am obese with weight more than 130 kg. I got plenty of tests done in a single year. Last year, I got my CT scan of full abdomen followed by five chest x-rays. One CT scan of the brain plain and bone densitometry (DEXA) scan in June and a CT PNS yesterday. Now ...  Read Full »
Dr. Indu Bhushan Kumar
Radiodiagnosis Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. X-ray and CT scan uses ionizing radiation. Though these are harmful rays, in diagnostic radiology it is generally safe for the patients. Though you have undergone many investigations it is well below the maximum allowable safe dose for the patient. Amount of radiation...  Read Full »

According to NCRP guidelines, why is maximum radiation exposure high for hospital workers?
Query: Hello doctor, Why do the NCRP guidelines have the maximum exposure to x-rays radiation for hospital workers higher than the normal public? What does the hospital workers have, that makes them fine to get exposed to more radiations than the public?  Read Full »
Dr. Vivek Chail

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Hospital workers are exposed to small doses of likely leaked radiation. The maximum exposure is based on a cumulative radiation dose limit for hospital workers, and this is a part of professional hazard during work. However, continuous improvement in radiation usage is he...  Read Full »

What is the safety limit for CT scans?
Query: Hi, I am a 31 year old male. I would like to know how many CTscans - abdomen and pelvis are safe in a 2 months time. I have had CT scan abdomen and pelvis 2 months back in another city, but now a doctor here wants it done again as I do not have the reports. Is it safe? What is the safety limit for ...  Read Full »
Dr. Vivek Chail

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Every CT scan abdomen and pelvis will give you a radiation exposure of approximately 14 mSv which means it gives a risk of 0.16 percent to develop cancer. This means 99.86 percent chance that it will not cause cancer. If you get another CT scan abdomen and pelvis done now...  Read Full »

I slept with my phone under my testicles. When can I safely try for a baby again?
Query: Hello doctor,Yesterday, unfortunately, I slept with my mobile phone under my testicles. I slept like that for five hours. I have heard of mobile radiations causing harm to the sperm and testicular cells by affecting the DNA. My problem is that my wife and I are both 34 years old and are planning for...  Read Full »
Geriatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understand your concerns. First of all, I would like to inform you that spermatogenesis is a long process and the sperm cells produced already may be available for the next two and a half months (72 days). So, considering this fact that ...  Read Full »

What are the chances of getting cancer from having two CT scans in a month?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 26 year old female. I am worried after reading about the effects of radiation from a CT scan. I had two separate scans within a month. Both the scans were for the chest, abdomen, and pelvis. The doctors were looking for a potential lymphoma, but nothing conclusive was found. I ...  Read Full »
Dr. Sugandh Garg

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. This kind of exposure to CT scan is not harmful, though you must avoid as much as possible. A continuous, long-term exposure daily may cause harmful radiation hazards and ill health. So, do not worry about the exposure. This very minimal exposure does not pose any fu...  Read Full »

Can a CT scan of the pelvis affect my eggs?
Query: Hello doctor, I had a lower GI and pelvic CT scan with contrast done at the age of 36 years. I fly a lot. I want kids. Did this scan harm my eggs or increase my chances of developing cancer? Nothing was found in the scan, and the MSV was 8.  Read Full »
Dr. Vivek Chail

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read through your query in detail. Please find my observations below. The contrast CT scan pelvis has exposed you to radiation of 8 mSv as recorded on the machine. For a 36 year old female patient, this means you are exposed to an additional cancer risk of 0.09 ...  Read Full »

What could be the reason for pulmonary fibrosis in an elderly?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 74-year-old male with a weight of 142 pounds and a height of 5 feet 10 inches. I take no medications except Ativan. I take vitamins. I am a non-smoker, worked in the auto body shop for two years painting cars, quit grain farming at the age of 44, minimal exposure to asbestos. I...  Read Full »
Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan
Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Single chest X-ray cannot diagnose lung fibrosis and further tests are required to rule out other causes. As you said, the chest X-ray was normal before a few months and now showing scattered fibrosis. It is advised to repeat the X-ray after few days. Once the X-ra...  Read Full »

How to find out if I have caries under my tooth restoration?
Query: Hello doctor,I have three first molars that have been filled with amalgam three years ago. I need to know how can I find out if one of them has caries under the restoration because one more first molar was also restored by amalgam, and three years later, I was experiencing some pain. When the doctor...  Read Full »
Dr. Naveen Thomas
Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com.Yes, there are possibilities of caries (tooth decay) underneath amalgam restorations. Please check the panoramic radiograph and see if there are any dark patches below the amalgam fillings in the teeth. It would be best if you could send a photograph of your recent pan...  Read Full »

Can excess gas be a reason for floating stools?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 47 year old male. I have noticed floating stools for about two months. This may have been going on longer, but I just noticed two months ago and historically, this is not normal for me. Consistency is solid with somewhat limited quantity and more like you would expect with constipa...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your symptoms are consistent with malabsorption of fat and lactose intolerance. There are various causes of malabsorption and indeed lactose intolerance, pancreatic insufficiency and gallbladder dysfunction are some of the well known causes. Bloating and soft stool ma...  Read Full »

Is Cystopen the right medicine for frequent urination problem?
Query: Hi doctor, My sister is 20 years old. She has a problem of frequent urination. She has to urinate numerous times. She has undergone cystoscopy and urodynamics test. She has a small and weak bladder with 350 mL capacity. But, the reason behind frequent urination has to be diagnosed still. The doctor ...  Read Full »
Dr. Santosh Badaku Desai

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. I went through your sister's reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your sister's uroflow study shows an average flow rate of 13.5 mL per second (normal more than 15 mL per second) and a desire to micturate and bladder capaci...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Radiation Exposure? We have medical experts to help you right away.