Topical Antibiotics

Antibiotics that are available as cream or ointment, which are absorbed by the body after applying on the skin or mucosa are called topical antibiotics. Topical antibiotics are used for treating acne, wounds, skin infection, and oral ulcers.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

What is this white spot that is painless and not itchy?

Query: Hello doctor, My penis is having a white pimple like spot on the corona. But, it is not painful or itchy. There are also white spots on the neck of the glans. What can be the problem? I have been applying topical antifungal cream Miconazole 2%. But, it does not seem to be working. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Vivekanandan Govindasamy

Answer: Hi, Welcome to It does not look like fungal infection. You can try Clobetasone cream twice daily for a week. This could be due to contact dermatitis.   Read Full »

I got a wound on my face while plucking a white hair strand, and the surrounding skin has started to peel along with a watery discharge. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I wounded my face once while removing a white hair strand growing on my face. After removing the hair strand, the skin around it starts to peel off and there is a slight watery discharge after pinching the wound. I have used topical medication on the wound. But the skin heals and the w...  Read Full »

Dr. M. A. Toyeb, Nazma Parveen

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I have read your query and understand your concern. You have developed folliculitis and I suggest you do not pluck that hair strand anymore. Apply Clindamycin Phosphate (antibiotic) cream on the wound and keep the area dry at all times. If you wish to remove it for ...  Read Full »

I have a small pinkish bump on my ear without any pain. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I noticed a small pinkish bump on my ear tragus with no associated pain. What is it, and is it dangerous? Not sure how long it has been there. I just noticed it two or three days ago.  Read Full »

Dr. Sushil Kakkar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I can understand your concern. I can see a little red and swollen area (attachment removed to protect the patient’s identity). Most likely, it is a low-grade skin infection. I suggest you use a topical antibiotic like either Mupirocin ointment or Neosporin ointment...  Read Full »

Is acne treatment safe during pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 29 weeks pregnant and I have started taking a supplement to help with my acne. I wanted to know if the ingredients are safe during pregnancy. It contains burdock root, dandelion leaves, milk thistle, red clover, and cellulose. Please let me know if I can take this.   Read Full »

Dr. Sabita Laskar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to The ingredients which you have mentioned are safe during pregnancy. They will not cause any harm to your baby. At the same time, you can also apply topical antibiotic ointments containing Clindamycin to fight your acne. For further clarifications consult a gy...  Read Full »

What are the causes for hair follicle infection in the genital parts?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been suffering from recurring vaginal boils for over a week now. They are very painful. I have tried applying Neosporin ointment, but it does not seem to work. What should I do to treat them? Can I take antibiotics to treat them?  Read Full »

Dr. Poonguzhali Liston

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I understand your concern. I would like to know if these boils are associated with itching and redness. Also, is there any vaginal discharge with a foul smell? Are these boils at the base of your hair follicles? Did you shave or wax in the recent past? Is there an...  Read Full »

How to stop burnt fingers from paining?

Query: Hi doctor, I was making ramen noodles about three and a half hours ago, and after ramen was finished in the microwave (water in the cup put in for 2:30 makes it just perfect), I decided to go back to my room. Hot water spilled in my hand, and now three fingers are burnt. My thumb finger is red with...  Read Full »

Dr. Deepti Shukla

Answer: Hello, Welcome back to Do not worry. I will help you with all your concerns. But, first, let us clear your doubt about using ice on burning. Ice application should be avoided as direct application to burn area causes vasoconstriction (blood vessel supplying to that area constrict) and...  Read Full »

Why did my inner foreskin start to burn after sex?

Query: Hi doctor,A week back, I had sex with my wife using a condom. The condom appeared to be a bit dry and we had rough sex. After sex, when I was washing up with soap I felt some burning sensation in the inner foreskin. There were some cuts. Also, when I pulled back the skin, I felt pain in my frenulum....  Read Full »

Dr. Salah Saad Hassan Shoman

Answer: Hi, Welcome to This area of your body has very sensitive tissue. It should heal on its own. Healing can be delayed if complicated by infection. This is not your fault as pubic area has many bacteria that are present normally. To fasten the healing process, you need to clean the area thr...  Read Full »

Should I be worried about a cat scratching my pregnant wife?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife who is 5 months pregnant was slightly scratched by a cat. Almost half a drop of blood was visible on one of the scratch. Cat is not vaccinated. It just sleeps and eats in our house. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Sadaf Mustafa

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Important point to consider is your wife's exposure to cat litter. Toxoplasmosis can spread through the exposure to cat litter; usually antibodies to toxoplasmosis are checked in first three months of pregnancy. They might have been checked already. If not, then I would ...  Read Full »

Please check my full mouth X-ray and suggest your opinion.

Query: Hello doctor,Please see the full mouth X-ray that I have uploaded and see if everything is all right or if not, what are the recommendations. I had a root canal on two left sides lower teeth two years back, which along with the cap is visible in the X-ray.  Read Full »

Dr. Iyer Parth Laxminarayan

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I am sorry to inform you that there seems to be mild to moderate infection near the root of the lower left first molar. It is better to go for systemic as well as some local or topical antibiotic (gel) and see the regression in three to five days. The other options ...  Read Full »

is there any medicines for dysmenorrhea ?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 24 year old female, who was diagnosed with dysmenorrhea about two years ago. Last year I was given Mefenamic acid by my doctor to take for the pain and nausea. But, the medicine is not helping me, I still have pain and vomiting. Is there anything else I can take for this?  Read Full »

Dr. Balakrishnan R

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Dysmenorrhea is not a diagnosis, it is only a symptom. Let me put few possible causes and their evaluation and treatment forward. At this young age, the most common cause is spasmodic dysmenorrhea. The cervix is tight and the blood when trying to make its way during perio...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.